Motorcycle Enthusiasts

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Athleng Nordic, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Athleng Nordic

Athleng Nordic Sadly passed away. RIP. Supporter

Who rides and why; what first got you interested in motorcycles, and what do you drive?

Well I drive and love to do so. I drive all year long. Unless there is a forecast of icy conditions then I drive my truck. What better way to get around and save money on gas and maintenance. It's got exercise built in with body endurance (sort of anyway). It gives a great excuse to buy leather clothing, and it's just plain kewl! :cool:

I first got hooked on bikes when I saw a documentary on the silver screen On Any Sunday in 1971 and have never looked back. :Angel:

I just traded in my Sportster for a Fat Boy. I even drive to training. I get a few looks and comments by the others. I even got one to get a bike! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  2. davethekodiak

davethekodiak Valued Member

never was interested till i saw OC Choppers on discovery. now i want one bad :D

3. Cougar_v203

Cougar_v203 4th surgery....Complete!

the bikes that caught my eye are Ninja, and CRX

4. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Been on a few bikes. Liked the idea of the independence of riding a bike. Nothing quite like cranking open the throttle to get up to "posted" speed in a few seconds, if the feeling grabs ya. :D
    The 2001 Suzuki Volusia Limitied Edition is my current ride.

Attached Files:

5. Athleng Nordic

If that's a picture of you we might have the same barber.

After posting this today I had a conversation with a fellow employee. It's too funny to not share.

This guy seen me making my original post and ask what the web site was, so I told him. He's not into MA, nor is he into bikes. I told him I was making a post about motorcycles. He doesn't like them and went off on a diatribe about the horror that are motorcycles. I pointed out to him that bikes are individual, but that they get around 50 miles to the gallon. My Sportster got an average of 53 MPG. He said you could get that from a car too. I ask what kind of car other than a hybrid? He answered quite proudly that his Geo Metro got 55 MPG. I said “A F’ing Geo is your answer?” He said “Yes!” Okay I said you have a point a Geo is an option, but not for me. He launches into yet another diatribe (See I like you all to spare you this) about “Bikers” and the horror we are. I then point out to him this: “When was the last time a hot 18 year old blonde chick asked you for a ride in your Geo.” (said with full dripping sarcasim) :D Case closed, I win! :p :Angel:

6. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I’ve been ridding for about 26 or so years. I like sports riding rather than cruising or commuting. Here is a picture from a couple of weeks ago of me and my old Ducati. I have a couple of other bikes in pieces at the moment, an RZ350 and a LC350. The LC 350 is destined for Post Classic Racing if I can get enough time to rebuild it. I have had a number of late model bikes, the last one was a Honda CBR900RR, and it was a great bike, but no fun on the road unless I was being silly. Running costs were also high, with front tyres only lasting about 2500 kilometres and back ones about 3500 kilometres of road ridding, or one day on the track.
    [​IMG][/IMG]

7. Athleng Nordic

Pricey! I get about 30,00 to 35,000 out of my rubber. But then again I'm not hoppin and rompin on it either.

8. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

I get better mileage out of the tyres on my Ducati, but then that’s mostly because it is so hard to buy good sticky tyres in the 18inch sizes. I’m using Bridgestone BT45’s in the photo, they aren’t too bad for a sports touring, biased belted tyre.

9. rigsville

rigsville Shukokai Karate

I've been riding bikes for over 18 years, my current bike being a Triumph Sprint ST that I bought new in 1999 - the bikes got over 37K miles on the clock and I still get excited about riding it.

The picture below was taken in 2001 outside Tamworth Castle, I have loads more pictures, info and general stuff at my website.

[​IMG]

10. Kris x

Kris x :-p

I want a motorbike.:D
    Recently been having cravings for one.:bang: :D :D

11. Athleng Nordic

Kris x, if you want a bike get one. Unless you're still living with your parents and they've said no. Check out HD and see if they offer the rider safety course. It'll take you from never having driven a bike to pass the test. At least the States have that program . A mate of mine just went through it. He's thrilled to be driving his new bike, and is all hopped up for the summer rides we've got planned.

I'm not a fan of the sport bike but I have some friends who have them. They go really fast really quick. That's it, all they do, just like a man! :D Harley has these things called Buells that are 500 cc sport bikes. They use them for thier training programs. We call them training-wheels or !@#$$%^&& Sorry this is a family site. :p
    I've been riding for 16ish years now and don't plan to stop. Hey we could have a MAP-Bike rally!!!

12. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

I've got one I ride religiously but I also rebuild and restore scooters, mostly Honda ones.

13. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I want a bike too, but until I get a job that is out of the near-future plans.

Dad has an 883 Sportster, but that is currently off the road (in the hall). He converted it to chain-drive after the belts kept snapping, and a week after he did it, the chain wrapped around the front sprocket, taking 4 teeth with it and cracking the side-casing :(

14. Athleng Nordic

<Said with good-natured fun> Nordic points at you - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA your dad drives a chick bike! The 883's are great little scoots, but are too light for really long rides.

Kwaj, do you rebuild vespas as well? Thinking of getting one for my daughter when she gets around 13ish.

15. iamraisen

iamraisen Valued Member

i AM getting a 2005 990 KTM superduke in black as seen below as soon as i get my ass out of uni and into a job. it is my baby.

Attached Files:

16. Athleng Nordic

Sweet iamraisen!

Okay now for a biggie of a question. Who has been stupid enough to have had a drink or two and hopped on thier bikes? I have and will never do it again. Thought I could have a beer and handle my bike. I was 26 at the time and on a honda shadow. I laid it down about a mile down the road.

17. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

That is my nice picture....when I want to get a little sun on my head.

This is my hell raising picture. :D

Attached Files:

18. Athleng Nordic

Nice. :D

19. Colin Linz

Colin Linz Valued Member

They also make a great 1200cc sports bike, although they are underpowered.

[​IMG]

20. Drunken Miss Ho

Drunken Miss Ho New Member

Kwajman- since you work on Honda scooters, what do you think of the Ruckus? I had an Elite 80 ages ago, but the muffler kept needing to be welded back on the engine, and that was before I knew how to weld myself, so I gave it up. But now I'm in the market for one again, and I think the Ruckus is the prettiest thing I've ever seen, but it's only 49cc. What do you think?