Most devastating strikes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by EdiSco, Apr 14, 2017.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Just wondering what the most devastating strikes are? Are thai knees and elbows more damaging than basic boxing power punches?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Monkey Steals The Peaches.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

The one that lands

4. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Southern Trains

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

[​IMG]

:cool:

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

No. Elbows aren't that powerful compared to punches and knees aren't powerful compared to kicks. You don't get many elbow KO's in Muay Thai, they're good for cutting eyebrows though.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

shot to the heart...

8. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I think you mean brain, not heart. That's the only way to stop zombies. Therefore, it's more powerful. :) :p

9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Yes but whose to blame?

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Because they give love a bad name!

11. BujinBoston

BujinBoston New Member

Wow. I was not expecting a Bon Jovi reference. *thumbs up*

For myself, I concentrate on making the strikes I know, as strong and powerful by continually working on the mechanics, accuracy of placement, strength training, and dynamic practice with a partner (delivering strikes while we both are moving).

If I had to define for myself what the most "devastating strikes are", my definition would lean toward what is the target, rather than the delivery system.

I agree with Hannibal, "The one that lands", is the most important in the conflict.

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:happy: to Mushroom and Frodo.

I think in theory a spinning back kick is the most devastating.

13. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Jovi-tastic!

14. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Have things changed? Back in the 80s a friend of mine who was a MT coach told me more deaths in the ring in Thailand were due to elbows than anything else.

As to full power application w/out padding I'd much rather connect w/an elbow hook to a person's head than w/a hook punch-my forearm is less likely to break than my hand.

15. MI_martialist

MI_martialist Valued Member

So, there are special Thai knees or elbows? Are their's different from everyone else's? The one that is most devastating is the one that does exactly what you want it to do when you want it to.

But in all reality...the most lethal is the one that kills instantly...as long as that happens, does it matter what struck?

16. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

I agree with El Medico, elbows have a lot of advantages over punches however the biggest weakness is range - they're very short range strikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtUn2Q1NisY

Muay Thai has got to be the most well rounded, effective martial art around. It even has grappling ie the clinch!

17. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Elbows are for a specific range, just like a kick and therefore it isn't a big weakness.

Specific tools for specific ranges and targets.

Of course those lines do get blurred.

18. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

19. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Elbows aren't padded, so that might be why, but they're not as powerful as punches - which if you consider the biomechanics involved, makes sense.
    I'd sooner land a punch at 2/3rds power than close the distance to land an elbow if I was trying to put someone on the floor.

20. kandi

kandi Valued Member

Holy smokes.

I wonder if that last video was a slap with the force coming from the base of the palm, more powerful than a regular slap.

I also don't think the bouncer needed to throw that slap, but that's a debate for a different thread I guess.