Flat earthers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Mar 26, 2017.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Calculus. At a small enough scale (that is, length of a line segment), a curve becomes a flat. A curve is just an infinite number of straight lines connected together. Relative to the size of the planet, we live at that small scale, so we always perceive our section of the planet as being flat.

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think that's likely garbage. It makes a lot more sense that the world is actually just flat. Maybe try taking a walk outside instead of nerding out with your books.

3. aikiMac

LOL! :D

I always loved Zeno's paradox about having to travel half the distance, and then half the remaining distance, and then half the remaining distance, and so on, always half the remaining distance -- so that you never actually reach the destination! :happy: Wonderful puzzle before the invention of calculus.

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

4/1 :]

5. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Of course the Earth is flat. There really is a Santa Clause. The tooth fairy is real. So many exorcisms take place everyday curing people of demons. People can see blindfolded. There have been so many prophets delivering messages from the divine. Angels help certain people when they're in need. the gifted people can see into the future and read your palms (although they never seem to win the lottery)..................what a screwed up world...

6. aikiMac

Hmm... My daughter just pointed out that if the world was really flat, cats would have knocked everything off of it by now.

(blink) (blink) Think about it.

:D

Latikos, axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  7. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

This has to be the best argument I've heard, because, lets face it - if people believe that the Earth is flat against all other evidence, then science isn't going to convince them, you need a cat.

8. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

God no, i have been arguing ona video on gravity about that. For some reason flat earth= no gravity. HOW?!?! and one of my steam friends has also joined and screams at the videos music each time.

9. Whit

Whit Valued Member

Dont get me started on these .... incredibly nice people who are not morons, so i don't break the forums rules on profanity. They think gravity is just density and buoyancy even though you need gravity to calculate density.

10. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

But...what IS gravity? You can't show it,can't describe what it's made of. All we can see are the effects.

So........is there such a thing as gravity?:confused:

11. aikiMac

Well, if you agree with Hume's philosophy, then, we can't know whether there is or isn't gravity. :oops::rolleyes::p

12. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I watched Stephan Molyneux taking a call from a flat-farther the other day. Now, I disagree with Stephan on just about every topic, but he dealt with this guy very well. He did his best not to be patronising and let the arguments unravel by themselves, and allowed the obvious bias and emotional motivations to come out without pushing them. His end message was that the caller was never going to get a decent job or life partner if he spent all his time "researching" flat earth theories.

14. David Harrison

Wow.

axelb likes this.
  15. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

David Harrison likes this.
  16. David Harrison

I wonder if Neil DeGrass Tyson and Brian Cox know that they have been quoted along with Sarah Palin to promote that event? The quotes had me chuckling:

“There is no shame in not knowing. The problem arises when irrational thought and attendant behaviour fill the vacuum left by ignorance.”
    Neil deGrasse Tyson

“Bill Nye is as much a scientist as I am, he’s a kids’ show actor. He’s not a scientist”
    Sarah Palin

“In science, there are no universal truths, just views of the world that have yet to be shown to be false”
    Brian Cox

17. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

you should go david and report back david.

18. David Harrison

Part of me is tempted...

A hundred quid and 6 hours on the bus though...

19. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

yeah, i'm with you. when the creation museum opened in kentucky, i actually planned on going down there to scope it out. my wife was away for a weekend and we didn't have kids yet. but later i'm like 6 hours of driving and whatever the admission price was, forget it, i'll spend it on beer and be happier. even though trolling dumb arses could be fun. but...beer is better.

David Harrison likes this.
  20. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

**Read this in Facebook earlier**

"You have to be careful when trolling flat earthers, you never know how far you can go, before you push them over the edge!" :D:D:D

Travess

Giovanni, Mitch, axelb and 3 others like this.