Weighted Vest

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Doublejab, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

These are expensive, but I've heard good things about them! But I've also heard they can be bad for your joints.

Anyone got an opinion on them?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I remember going running once with a rucsack with small weights in it and really suffered with my joints due to the bouncing motion of the rucksack. I would assume that technology has moved on and as long as the vest fitted snugly and did not bounce all would be fine.

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I've been wanting to get a light one just so it would mimic me wearing my vest and duty gear, but I usually just stick with a rucksack for any kind of load bearing exercises like that.

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

I've got a 30kg one with weights in individual pockets. Pretty handy for doing exercises with a different centre of gravity than a dipping belt gives.

I think the joints issue depends on what you use it for, chin ups and you'll be fine, 5km runs probably not.

5. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

That was the kind I was looking at. I wasn't think of chin ups as I suck at the pretty bad already. And running is tough enough on my knees as is. I was thinking about press ups, clap press ups, burpies, jumping squats, sprints, bear crawls etc. Have you tried it for any stuff like that?

6. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

The sprints might be a bit rough on the knees but all the other stuff should prove pretty fun!

I remember doing endless pushups as a basic trainee while wearing my ruck - a favorite passtime of my drill sgt, lol. It made things interesting to say the least!

7. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

I do burpies in a 28kg vest at boxing. They rock so much it isn't funny!

Good for step ups and jumping lunges too, obviously they're good for the stuff you mentioned.

Unfortunatly my coach makes us run round the gym in them which causes me quite a bit of discomfort in my ACL and MCL when cornering at speed, but I have more faith in your inteligence.

Tempted to buy one myself for home use to be honest.

EDIT: these look pretty reasonable: http://www.blitzsport.com/Deluxe-Weighted-Vest?sc=81&category=1631951

http://www.blitzsport.com/Weighted-Vest?sc=81&category=1631951

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  8. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Thanks, I thought burpies would be good in them! I'm looking at using it for increasing explosive power rather than endurence.

I would only use it at home I think, I'd want to be careful what I did in it, I have to be careful running around the boxing ring without a vest, let alone with one!

Those look alright, this is the one I was looking at but obviously it is very expensive. I really want to option to increase the weight up to about 30:

http://www.made4fighters.com/mma/2624/maxi-weighted-vest-30-kg.html

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

10. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

I don't think much of them to be honest. too expensive and limited to the amount of weight you can use.

For pull ups/chin ups and dips i prefer attaching weights to a belt and for press ups i use a backpack with weights in.

11. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

Speaking as a guy who learned the hard way, dynamic weighted chin ups with a dipping belt is bad for your health! :lowblow:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  12. Patrick Smith

Patrick Smith Tustom Cuser Uitle

I've never understood why people would want to run with extra weight? Is it to develop strength, endurance, explosiveness, or what? I think that since running is already a plyometric one leg quarter squat repeated hundreds of times, extra weight is not necessary. There's got to be a better way to pinpoint what you want.

I have a weight vest too, but I use it for pull/chin ups, push ups, inverted rows, dips, and things like that.

13. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Some of us don't have a choice.

[​IMG]

14. Bigmikey

MUCH RESPECT to anyone that knows what it feels like to run with a ruck on...

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Kuma wins the thread. Respect is seconded.

16. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Ive done them like this for years and never suffered any problems. I used to put weights in a bergen to do press ups/dips/pull ups, but much prefer the belt to this method for pull ups/dips. It works for me. with the rucksack the weight felt too high up, but with the belt its loads better.

17. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Go on lads!

I still go out with the bergen now, old habit from the army. my usual route is 20 miles across rough moorland with a 50lb bergen, in under 4 hours. i run where i can but as most of its hills its not advisable (not going down anyway haha) obviously, but i swear by it once per week for cardio. any more than that i'd be like a trimmed down like a whippet haha

18. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

i think he meant he got smashed in the nuts.

19. Bigmikey

I routinely get smashed in the nuts. I have a dog who seems to take great pleasure in trampling my testicles at every available oportunity. jus sayin...

20. _sam_

_sam_ Valued Member

Ahhh now i get it haha bit slow there eh...

And to bigmikey: yeah same here, ive got a staffy who's always wacking me in the nuts when he jumps up to greet me haha