Members work out vids, ideas, challenges etc (formerly 'my one armed push ups')

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Fish Of Doom, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vdFbvW2BLQ"]one-armed pushups fun - YouTube[/ame]

any critiques or technique corrections?

body was slightly twisted, but not very noticeably, foot position was wide. for some reason my left foot lifted off the ground during some of the left-handed reps.
    notice on the last sets i started pushing a little with my legs as i started getting tired

comments on my hair will get you force fed a priapism inducing poison and a hypnotic compulsion to do jumping pushups on a concrete floor :evil:

for the record, i weight ~53.5 kg, or 117.7 lbs at the time of writing this post (did the pushups about half an hour ago)

2. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Well for starters, a much needed hair cut would really help with 1 armed pushups ! Looks god man except for the things you noticed. Keep working at em!

3. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Nice work Fish, keep it up!

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I saw that and thought oh sheet... someone's crossed 80's hair care bands with functional strength! Awesome! :p

Good stuff Fishy! Now I have to run out and try. Cheers for posting that!
    We need to get a video challenge going! Video PT's everyone adds one movement and till we reach a point then we all do it and vid it and post it!

5. Fish Of Doom

cheers, slip!

the 80s hair? :Angel:

6. Hatamoto

Hatamoto Beardy Man Kenobi Supporter

That's a cool idea :D

7. Fish Of Doom

thinking about this, it's an AWESOME idea. we could try to organize periodic events where we plan out workouts and whoever wants to films themselves doing the workouts that come out. we could then try to get a stickied thread where we list all the different workouts for easy reference, linking to the videos of the members doing it. would probably help motivate a lot of mappers and visitors to the site, as well as an easy access resource for different difficulty workouts for every newb that comes in asking for exercise plans. in fact, since a lot of people ask for help regarding specific activities, we could even make themed challenges (like, one sided exercises challenge, rotational strength challenge, uneven grips, climbing, combined exercises, etc).

8. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

I love the idea, personally. If you guys decide to go ahead with it you'll have my full blessing and we'll make the thread an official sticky.

(p.s. Good job on the push-ups Fishy!)

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

I am jealous of your weight/strength proportions.:mad: I could barely hold myself up on one hand at the mo (been out of training for nearly 6 months injury/illness/moving house etc) :woo: :bang:

They looked pretty tight to me, good on ya. :cool:

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Once again Fish you make me feel like less of a man. I like the new thread idea personally it'd be good motivation and Im sure any video I do can provide lols

11. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

You'll have to fight me to get crowned lolking!

12. Nojon

Nojon Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein

Pretty cool man! Just out of curiosity, did you start from the knees, and build up?

13. slipthejab

I'm up for it... but what I'd like is to get some content done first... at least one or two vids done before we open it up to the general public.

Maybe set up a framework and format for the vids?

A few questions:

1) Are we shooting for proper program design or just individual exercises?

2) How much explanation do we want on the video?

3) We upload to YouTube and provide a link to post in the sticky?

I've shot and edited down a quick little circuit. I will upload a sample to YouTube and then come back and post the link here momentarily... people can let me know what they think.

14. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Your superior organisation sickens me. Right to my unorganised core. Well, it would if I could find it.

15. Fish Of Doom

you mean strictly for the one-armed ones? nope, one sensei made us do them one day, and it turned out i could (but i already had some strength training going on by that time). this was around three years ago or so, and i've worked on and off on them since (never tried more than 10 in a row though; best i ever did was a single plyometric one which i couldn't repeat now if you pointed a gun at me).

16. Ranzan

Ranzan Valued Member

Individual exercises mixed with a proper program kinda thing? Kinda like a cut and paste program, somethings we may not be able to work into this if following a program.
    Not sure about number 2.
    Anddd for number 3 yea that sounds like the best way!

This is an awesome idea.

17. slipthejab

Ok people.. makin' the mutherfuggin' hay while the sun shines... Here's my first clip towards this project:

Bodyweight Workout - Quick Circuit @ the beach

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPrAXxN9918"]bodyweight workout - quick circuit.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

All thoughts and input welcome. FWIW this was a quick one from a few days back done on my cell phone and cut together. The circuit is mean to be continuous pretty much. Max 15 sec. break between drills.

Thoughts?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2010
  18. Fish Of Doom

niiiice (btw that is quite the high resolution phone you got there, man :p). is that you on the vid or is it one of your clients?

how many reps/seconds for each exercise? will try it once the DOMS lays off a bit (did a bit of lifting besides the pushups yesterday, so my lower back is a little busted too)

19. slipthejab

In the vid doing the drills is me. lol. I never ask anyone to do anything I won't do. Far too many PT's run their clients through crap regimes yet can't do the drills themselves.

The phone is crap quality vid. lol... a good one would be most of the Nokia N series. But for that price you can buy an HD camcorder. So I need to get around to sorting that out.

For the reps/sets... try this:

Hit each exercise 6-8 times each side... one drill right into the next
    for 3 sets. Let me know how it feels. There is no resistance other than bodyweight on these so it should be manageable. Should get the heart rate up but it's more a warm up than a full on ball breaker.

20. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nice stuff slip. Too many people on here talking the talk but not walking the walk.

Like Fish says pics or it didn't happen.