Why do you post on the Ninjutsu thread? Where and from who did you learn Ninjutsu?

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by JoshNYC, Dec 27, 2007.

1. JoshNYC

JoshNYC Valued Member

There really seems to be some great forum contributers here. In the past when I strolled by for quick view I thought that there was a vacuum of accurate information, helpfulness and kindness...

Yet after recent inspection I do see some gems... So I am experimenting a little... and posting a little myself... the thing is, I wonder do the efforts of these benevolent contributers truly help anyone? Will posting these gems enrich anyones lives?

For me, I am surprised to see that this exercise has become an opportunity to find those who have come to similar opinions on Ninjutsu training as I have. I thought these opinions would be rare... so I am now very curious as to where the people who have a similar mindeset, when it comes to Ninjutsu, got their education/training from. Did you have access to the same sources or managed to arrive at the same place from different directions?... I believe my opinions are clearly illustrated to those with a similar mindset in my contributions to this forum, 99.9% of them having been posted in the last few days. If you feel you have had a similar mindset or opinion to most of them, would you mind posting a little info about who your primary instructors in Ninjutsu are? If you would like this information to remain private please e-mail me.

removed. please check MAP's Terms of Service and don't post contact details in the main forum, ty

My information can easily be found by following the link in my signature.

For those who do not see the same benefits in contributing to this board that I see... I invite you to honestly tell us: why do you post on the Ninjutsu thread? What do you hope to get out of partaking in this forum? Is this a good use of your time?

please contact a GM or Admin if you wish to advertise events, we can then put the event in the events forum

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2007
  2. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Is that the same as disagreeing with you?

I have a look in all the threads on the 'new posts' section. If I see something I want to comment on I will, doesn't matter which section. I don't troll for the sake of it but will call on anything I disagree with.

Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm wrong. I'm always learning ;)

3. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

Interesting thread. :)

My opinion is, why not try to show some of why people hold this art so dear? Tradition, in my opinion, is a good thing and so are "unusual friends". Unless I'm mistaken, many of us might not even be posting here if it weren't for "Unusual Friends OK!". :)

The internet is a very good venue for meeting unusual people...

4. JoshNYC

JoshNYC Valued Member

Not at all, I was just asking: if you did not see the same benefits of being an active contributer to this forum as I do, then to please tell us what do you get out of partaking in this forum. You can disagree with all of my past posts but still find the same benefits.

5. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Different benefits come from different places for different people. ;)

edit: To answer the first part of the question, I'm learning from you lot. Too much politics for my liking though. Couldn't you all just lighten up with each other?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  6. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

The Ninjutsu Forum is more of a Social Club these days, (or Anti-social club anyway).

I can't remember the last time I learned anything of great import but it's stil amusing to come and see what's going on.

The most interesting thing at present seems to be the discussion around the Human Weapon episode on the History Channel, where the general consensus seems to be that ninjas are still crap but not as crap as people thought we were (all based on two guys who may or may not have been told to hold back, although I'm sure the Dog Bros wouldn't have gone into it under such restrictions). I don't expect we'll see a touring troupe of ninja like the Shaolin Wheel of Life but I expect more effort will be made to meet the rest of the MA world half way in terms of more practitioners participating in such contests and a fair few people changing their training regime in case more Gracies are turning bad and coming to a town near you.

I predict more the advent of offshoot organisations that train MMA-style but keep the ninjutsu name for publicity and weapon waggling.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

cough - BBD - cough cough

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Personally, I don't believe that there's any real benefit to the ninjutsu forum to being a closed system of information. It seems to me that you're suggesting, from your thread title (quoted below)

that you have to have studied ninjutsu in order to have anything valuable to say. That seems very backward to me. As an FMA practitioner, for instance, I think I have some valuable things to say about weapons use. You guys use weapons, right? So why wouldn't my insights be useful?

If someone from this forum came to the FMA forum and contributed something about fighting with a sword to a discussion about bladed combat, I wager that the regulars there would judge that post by its content and not by the fact that you practice ninjutsu and not FMA. Open mindedness benefits the practitioner.

So lemme turn this question around: Why wouldn't we post here? I'm not going to be laying down any opinions on the politics or history of ninjutsu. I couldn't. Not intelligently. But that doesn't mean that nobody outside your style has anything worth you hearing.

Stuart

9. kouryuu

kouryuu Kouryuu

:D :D :D :D :D

10. DJC

DJC Valued Member

Hmmmmm

I sort of agree with you - and this is not aimed directly at you (met you once when you were covered in mud), and I have have been out to lunch (mmmnnnn Guinness) but how about Hatsumi Sensei's quote of "‘Always use more than one strike and always strike at nerve points, kyusho and obvious weak points. Always try to make sure you strike from unseen places (ie the blind side).’

This is very different from the one lunge punch, one response training most 'outsiders' see on Youtube (and on the Human Weapon episode at Hombu).

I think this means train the Ken Juroppo properly as a foundation - and I also believe there is a lot of merit in training more 'MMA style' (for want of a better term) ie free response, not pre-defined 'kata' as you have to know what you are doing before Taijutsu can become effective.

Another quote - this time from Norm - the Bujinkan will not make a crap fighter good, but it will make a good fighter better'.

One of our motto's is Banpen Fugyo - everyone knows what this means - how can you freely adapt to changes in techniques/application with no surprises if all you do is train at half speed without real intent? I've seen this half heartedness many times here in the UK, in Europe and westerners training in Japan.

I count myself lucky in that all Bujinkan dojo's don't train in the same manner. We don't all train in the way portrayed as the Larper brigade - but I do have an enourmous amount of sympathy with their points of view. Lets face facts. We have our fare share of wierdo's who can't fight. I'm lucky in that a previous poster on another thread who says something about Hatsumi's way of teching to a level (ie Shinken to those who want it, Lapring to those who want to play Ninja) rings true. Having been to Japan many times and train weekly with an ex UK special forces instructor who visits Japan twice a year there is certainly an amount of selected training opportunities if you build the right relationship with the Japanese Shihan. We have this relationship. Others do not.

Back to the original point - MMA style training is no a bad thing when taken in context with our overall 'curriculum'. Time and a place and all that.......

DC

Last edited: Dec 27, 2007
  11. elftengu

elftengu Banned Banned

Been there done that, not as long a sentence as someone else a couple of posts or so above, but yes it's a good example, along with ol' Mr. Severe and a few others, and we seem to have a few Bujinkan folk cross-training in BJJ/MMA as well, if for the sparring/randori as much as for the technical content.

As DJC's quote of Norman goes, I would agree that the Bujinkan cannot claim to make Great Whites out of wet Pollocks but if people need the grounding in fighting (and fighting spirit) then they could do worse than do something more lively for a while first, and if it's loosely related to taijutsu then perhaps it's worth the time needed to assimilate when people move to the larger orgs. Or it might be better to do something else altogether to avoid confusion, depending upon how you look at it.

12. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Why do I post? Because it is something I study. Shinkage Ryu

13. Stevebjj

Stevebjj Grappling Dummy

I post for many different reasons, when I do choose to take part in a thread, and it's regardless (or irregardless, just because I like to make Brits cringe) of which subforum in which a thread happens to be posted.

First, if I feel like I've got something to contribute that is of value. This could be a point not yet made or a helpful bit of information.

Second, sometimes to provide an alternative perspective. Without disagreement and diverse points of view forums are a boring place.

Third, sometimes I post just so that it's on the record that not everyone agrees with a particular statement. I hate sounding like a broken record, and frankly I don't have a lot of patience for it. But, as an example, the big reason why the neo-cons are in the White House right now is because Rightwing radio doesn't mind saying the same thing over and over, even if it's wrong. They said it for 10 years before the Leftwing voices got tired of correcting them. Eventually, there's no counterpoint to the ridiculous lies being disseminated by Hannity, O'Reilly, Coulter and the rest and then gullible or ignorant people begin to believe that it's true. After all, no one is disagreeing. My grandmother (a terrible gossip all her days) lived her life believing that if she told a story the same way three times, it was true forever.

I think that this last part is a big reason why there are so many redundant threads, particularly in the ninjutsu forum. Someone says something ridiculous and others feel obligated to correct them, lest it appear that everyone agrees by implication. This goes both ways and leads to a tremendous amount of pointless arguments. :)

14. JoshNYC

JoshNYC Valued Member

Shinkage Ryu Questions

Hi Bryan,

Can you please tell us where and with who you study Shinkage Ryu? How long have you been training in it and what do you think about it... maybe in brief.

Thanks!

-Josh

15. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

In brief, I think it is great. ;)

16. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

There are some interesting inferences about your style and "Ninjutsu". Are you allowed to discuss such things?

17. JoshNYC

JoshNYC Valued Member

Historically there were connections between the teachers of Shinkage Ryu and "the men of Iga." I'm more curious as to the specifics of Bryan's training. Bryan, care to elaborate?

Last edited: Jan 1, 2008
  18. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Not particularly. Even if I knew every exact detail, which I don't, I could not talk about it without the fear of divine retribution. I have always imagined that to be some big foot stepping on me from the heavens.

19. bdstexas

bdstexas Valued Member

Just so you know there are many branches and lines of the (Shin)Kage schools. There is Yagyu Shinkage, Hikita Kage and so on...

20. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

LOL!! Nice.

I see... :cool: