Style of Casey Marks?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by gojuman, Jun 15, 2005.

1. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

I am not usually impressed with the ISKA championships that are televised on ESPN. I am not impressed at all with XMA, but Casey Marks seems to be able to compete at these events while maintaining traditional Karate style.
    Does anybody know the Ryu or style that she has studied? It looks Okinawan from the Kata that she performs, but I am not sure.

2. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

While Casey is very special and a very good MAtist. Money talks.....

3. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

What is that you are saying??????

4. Kwajman

Her sponsor is also one of the biggest sponsors of the tournaments. Those sponsors wouldn't like to see their best athletes lose while they are putting all that money into the tournament. It happens all the time on the international circuits.

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

I thought I read somwhere in her bio that she trained in Shorin-ryu.

6. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

Just what does that have to do with my question?

7. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

I'll need to confirm but I believe her background is in Shorin Ryu. I met her briefly over a year ago at a demo/conference. She put on a phenominal display (and then proceeded to laugh at our "Bad Kung Fu theatre" skit... so actually I get to say that I made an ass out of myself in front of her).

Really cool woman and a phenominal competitor. Her boyfriend (or is it husband) is really good and really cool too.

- Matt

8. Kwajman

Just that sponsors (Paul Mitchell) spend huge amounts of money on these tournaments. They wouldn't do it if their kids didn't do well. It is expected that the Paul Mitchell kids will all place very highly. Yes they are good, yes they are talented, but I know last year for instance at the Disney MA festival there were some fairly shocking upsets when some of the Paul Mitchell kids beat some others who the crowd felt had actually won.

I'll use myself for an example. I have a sponsor, I am sent to 8-10 tournaments a year. The two tournaments that my own sponsor co-hosts, I usually place in the top two. At the tournaments my sponsor doesn't pay big money at, I'm anywhere in the top five. You do the math....

9. gojuman

gojuman Valued Member

That's too bad. But, it has nothing to do with anything that I was asking. I was just trying to figure out where Ms. Marks has pulled her Kata experience from. From the other answers it would appear that Shorin Ryu is what she has studied. I was thinking that it was an Okinawan form of some sort, so I guess I was correct.
    You can keep all the polotics and what not, I was just admiring her empty hand kata. I could care less about her baton twirling...er, I mean Bo katas. I have to say though that from my point of view and from what is shown on ESPN when she is the winner I usually agree with the judges choice.
    I have trouble understanding the XMA contestants and what they are trying to accomplish. Maybe it is envy. I certainly can not do back flips or kick above my head 20 times in a row let alone even once.
    There is always some degree of polotics in any subjective competition. I know that when I judge, I am partial to the traditional style and so I score accordingly. Other judges score based on their preferences.

10. Kwajman

Her performances are extra-ordinary. They really are. I just know politics comes into play at almost every tournament. Judges are more likely to score their own students higher than other schools, its just the way it is. \

In extreme martial arts, the weapon can leave your hand and you can leave your feet and do a 360 or greater flip/sumersault. In most traditional or even "creative" forms, your not allowed to do so.

I really didn't intend to dis either Casey or the Dahlgrisch boy, they are incredible athletes and could perform circles around me. I hope one of the other posters answered your question about her style.

11. Michelle_xo

Michelle_xo New Member

hmm. i don't know what style she is..
    and to kwajman. she's not only paul mitchell she's also on team united.
    but all i gotta say is she's the most amazing instructer i'll ever meet :)
    not only is she great at forms and weapons she's also great at sparring. so yup i'm glad to know her cuz none of you do! haha :p

12. Kwajman

I didn't know she was on team united. That tells me a bit more about her.

13. Michelle_xo

Michelle_xo New Member

yup.. well you learn something new everyday..

and considering she's married to trevor nash she oughta be working at united family martial arts? and shes a competitor so she must be on team united. you just gotta think a little bit.
    omg i loveee her (= [dnq] haha

14. Saiyanblood

Saiyanblood New Member

Her style

She and her little brother Butch were my first instructors. I was 11, am 32 now. He was 12, ahe was 14. Both at the time were 2nd degree black belts in Karikido. This was in Hendersonville, NC at SuperStar Karate. Which has long time switched owners.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2016
  15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Casey Marks is now Casey Nash, wife of legendary tournament fighter Trevor Nash (older brother of the current no.1 female point fighter in the world, Chelsey Nash). Superbly talented family and darn good folk.