What style to go with?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shady553, Apr 11, 2016.

1. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Both muay thai and kk are excellent systems.

The OP chose kk over shotokan, which was an excellent shout due to the technical training and the sparring format.

Why would you recommend Kyokushin over Muay Thai, out of interest?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

He doesn't like being hit in the face?

3. Emanon

Emanon New Member

Hi,

This is my first actual post other than an intro. Of coarse opinions vary and much of this is a personal choice and depends on your specific needs or goals, but here's my 2 cents. Karate is a striking art but does have grappling interwoven within the kata applications. However, finding them is another project and always open to argument and disagreements. But you already have grappling straight from the source in your jujitsu training! Why bother with learning kata? The striking you would learn from karate is ok and you can develop some good power and skill but technically they are meant more for self defense than anything else. I say this because I don't know your goals. If it's sport than there are better routes to go other than karate for hand/punching skills. Imo there is nothing more dangerous than a wrestler with boxing skills! If I were a grappler, which I gather you are, or are becoming, I would go with boxing rather than karate. Someone mentioned Muay Thai and that is a good choice also because it offers the elbows! Also (imo) they are hands down the best and most powerful kickers.

Again, it depends on your goals. If you are looking to compete, boxing, kickboxing or Muay Thai are better choices over karate to round yourself out. For self defense I'd still go with boxing since you already are getting the grappling. For devastating kicking and punching to go with grappling? MuayThai. Most karate schools will be teaching sport karate (point sparring) and finding good old school Okinawan non sport karate (pure self defense) is difficult. Kyokushin was mentioned but again...they have become very "sport' these days and they aren't exactly the first choice for hand technique. Hard bodies and fierce determination and fighting yes. But I wouldn't (personally) look to them to learn hand techniques to compliment your jujitsu. Just my thoughts.

Good luck :)

Bob

4. prowla

prowla Valued Member

If I moved to another area where my style wasn't available, I would look at Kyokushin or Gojo; something where there is contact, but common-sense control too because the techniques are real (capable of breaking bones - breaking a board is equivalent to breaking a rib, or injuring internal organs).

The thing about Karate though, is that it is very structured.

It starts by really going back to the basics (which is what they are called!) of how the body works: how to move your feet and understand the stances, their strengths and weaknesses, understanding the strikes, be they hand (open or fisted), elbow, knee, kicks, head, and so-on, learning blocks and avoidances (tai-sabaki), using throws and locks; it really takes you through learning the vocabulary and then ties them into combinations, katas, pre-arranged attacks & defences, and then progresses through points sparring and up through contact fighting.

It takes time and effort for it all to sink in (well, when I say "all", you never stop learning - you just appreciate more what is happening!).

I guess it's like anything you want to get good at: writers have to learn grammar conjugation of verbs and so-on, musicians have to learn and practice their scales and chords, footballers have to get on the training ground and learn routines and set-plays, Karateka have to learn the basics.

I find it exhilarating, interesting and rewarding.