I want your Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Suggestions, Problems and Tests' started by Anth, May 20, 2008.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

It would be awesome if you could "tag" people in posts on MAP. For example on Facebook if you write somebody's name they get a notification, so if on MAP you wrote I dunno . . . . . #Ero-Sennin and I got an email saying I was tagged, it would be awesome. :p

I understand that is a completely unrealistic suggestion, but I'm bored and thought I would share my totally cool idea with others. :p

2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Would love to try implementing this, but it would likely require (at the very least!) an upgrade to the forum software and some sort of single sign on implementation for Facebook.

Also, we had tags before, but they ended up being grossly abused and were turned back off again, which is a bit of a shame.

3. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

I remember a vBulletin modification for this (or was it when I was looking at XenForo?) back in the mists of time. Whether it's still available, for this version of the software, or even just a figment of my imagination, I have no idea. :confused:

4. Rated Red

Rated Red ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporter

Is there any chance MAP will be available through using Tapatalk? I had a quick look the other day but didn't see it listed so I thought I'd ask.

5. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

A bit of an old thread, I know; are updates/upgrades still happening, or has social media had an impact?

6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it's safe to say social media has had an impact. MAP (or any forum) ain't like it used to be in the heyday of forums.

7. Dan Bian

:(

A shame, since social media (at least as I've found it) has no where near the quality information as a forum.

axelb, aaradia and Mitch like this.
  8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

MAP still has upgrades to the software, and I still make occasional changes. I'm happy to hear suggestions too.

The reality is though, that most styles have retreated into facebook echo chambers. You only have to look at other MA bulletin boards and see how much they have changed.

axelb likes this.
  9. Dan Bian

I was just reading back through the thread and saw the mentions of the schools/clubs section, and was wondering if this was something that could be added, with the ability for other members to add recommendations for schools?

10. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Yeah, MAP used to be the number one place for information back in the day (it's scary thinking I've been a member over half my life) but forums in general have fallen by the wayside. It's far easier for someone to post on a local town or village Facebook page something like "karate classes fr 4yo?" (typos deliberate) and get a dozen comments in an hour than take the time to search for a forum and hope someone is local to answer. For those already in a style, as Mitch says, people have hidden themselves in echo chambers which is something I've always liked about MAP - you can have a TKD'er joining in karate kata threads, HEMA and Japanese sword people comparing notes and everyone winding up the ninjas (I joke!).

It's a shame but such is the march of the all consuming Zuckerberg.

axelb, SWC Sifu Ben and Dan Bian like this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think there's also something to the idea that many of the pertinent questions and discussions have been had and in many ways resolved.
    I know that due to being on MAP, and discussions on other forums, a lot of my "thirst" for knowledge has been sated. My questions got answered. Now I'm just getting on with my training and making sense of it all.
    That's not to say that interesting conversations no longer happen but the old "style v style", "sport v street", "modern v traditional"," MMA v TMA" discussions that fueled the explosions of forums just don't happen anymore (or need to happen).

12. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

13. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

::Walks Into Thread::

::Drops It Like It's Hot::

::Walks Out::

I think forums are going to find their way back.

Mainstream social media leaves a LOT lacking for real discussion, and real discussion is something an already sizeable crowd of people are looking for. There's already a framework for it (forums), but I don't think the younger ones even know they exist (I'm only 33, but most of my childhood had no internet so I'm basically an ancient one in this context). You could even do a marketing campaign for open martial arts discussion, using mainstream social media advertising to reach the most amount possible, might be something that could breathe some serious life back into MAP (and forums in general). Make people come defend their styles, but under MAP's ruleset : P.

I do think the forum would have to offer a little more room in the line of allowed discussions/topics and ToS violations. If a forum is as strict as social media is, it's not really offering too much other than extra focus on a subject (which things like Facebook have). Freedom of expression is something that can be offered to lure people in, but we all know where that crap can lead. Designing a marketing campaign, reconfiguring ToS, raising funds, organizing enough staff and rotation time for the site being monitored (unless there are algorithms for that now?), etc., that's a lot of dang work. I feel like I'm brainstorming an entire business plan. That said, Martial Arts and things related are a more viable option for sustainable income than ever before due to the audience you can reach as well.

Is the other martial arts forum still around? I think it was called bullkido or something? How are they doing? I remember trying to be a part of that site and T-Nation when I was younger but MAP won out because I was so tired of everyone constantly posturing or writing like they had a 1,000 yard stare.

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  14. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Bullshido? I've just looked on their site for probably the first time since I was a GM, maybe even Topic Mod - it looks like it's at least as quiet as here, if not more so. Martial Talk appears to be busier but that's just from a quick look on their main forum page.

Hopefully with karate being part of the coming Olympics there'll be more interest in the art ("what's this funny dance pattern thing they're doing?!") to bring some new discussion.

axelb and Dan Bian like this.
  15. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

Reddit seems to have a lot of topics on it, but it's on par with other social media with it's general approach.
    I have seen a lot more people "quit" social media, I expect that this is in part emphasised by people in my friendship circles, I don't know the statistics on this overall.
    This may be an age thing; I find myself also avoiding social media, particularly for anything around serious discussion.
    Social media seems to target those after a quick hit, rather than longer term, the design towards the younger generation as this is often the draw for quick return, would likely have people looking for alternatives as they become more involved in a particular topic.
    I visit martialtalk on occassion, but it seems mostly to be a location for communal back patting.

I still see the place with the most valuable output if you have anything martial arts related.

Anth likes this.