Your fav boxing combo

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by EdiSco, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Hey Kave, how exactly do overhand rights discourage jabs?

I have bugger all reach as well and a lot of tall sparring partners, I'm still trying to find my 'groove' so to speak as a short boxer, so always looking for new things to try!

2. Kave

Kave Lunatic

Here is a link to a video on the basics of using an overhand right to counter a jab: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuteP8dsowg"]Counter Jab with Overhand Right -- MMA Technical Tips with Jamie Varner - YouTube[/ame]

3. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

Nice, thanks for that!

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Keeping it boxing on pads, I like

Jab, Cross, (L)Hook. Circle right. Cross.

Just for a touch of movement. I'm very much of a straight shots kinda person. I was told I got a semi decent left hook and I nearly never train right hooks. (I throw it in sparring when I'm on the inside though).

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Jab-cross-hook-overhand

6. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Jab-Cross-left hook-right uppercut. This has become my favorite naturally, dunno why. Is this a good combo?

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Jab - Lead Uppercut - Cross - Lead Hook - Cross ( - Switch Lead Kick - Switch Knee, for the Kickboxers)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  8. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Are you landing in southpaw after the switch kick?

9. Knee Rider

Yes :)

10. Unreal Combat

Yes, straight into the left knee follow up. It's basically a 1-2 combo making both strikes switch strikes.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  11. Knee Rider

Though so. Just done it in the kitchen. Nice :)

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I wouldn't think the distance is right for this combination. The uppercut and hook are close-range strikes, but the jab and cross are long-range strikes. How do you sandwich them together like this?

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I don't think the hook is just a close range strike.

A layback hook is a lovely strike.

14. Knee Rider

Yeah I think to make it land in reality you'll be closing with footwork and angling.

The uppercut works off the jab if you step and it lifts the head for a cross. They might not be right on the end of the punch, though it'll still have effect. You might have to quarter turn/step to land the hook.

Worth noting that Thai boxing hooks tend to be a little different than a tight pure boxing hook.

When I shadow boxed this I was closing and quarter stepping left.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  15. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I can understanding closing the distance on the jab-uppercut combination, but the next punch in the sequence is a cross. That means you have to move backwards (or to the side, anyway) to get the distance required for a cross. And then you have to do it all again: move in for another hook, move out for another cross.

:dunno: Sure, there is no boxing without footwork. That is a truism.
    I suppose that could be the point of this combination, maybe -- it forces you to work your feet?

Actually, viewing it that way -- not bad.

16. Knee Rider

I doubt I'd ever throw a combination that long anyway. Fun to shadow box though.

I think the cross can land if you quarter turn on the hook

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016
  17. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

I can see it working at the same ranges with an undercut/shovel hook to the body instead of an uppercut. Some folks do an uppercut same as a undercut. I can see instead of a straight cross, more of an overhand right.

So the sequence would be: Left jab high, move in, left undercut low, right overhand, left hook, right overhand.

18. Unreal Combat

It will be easier for me to show & explain than type it. I'll try and make a video later after work. This was a combination I was taught when I first started doing Muay Thai. I used to have a few videos of me doing a basic version of this back when I used to post my training videos on MAP. Some of you who were around back then may remember.

What this combo is good for is pressing against the ropes and working the angle to come to the side and smash a kick into an exposed body due to guarding from punches. Work the angle on the jab - uppercut then depending on whether you throw the switch or rear kick step out on the cross and pivot on the hook (followed by rear kick) or step inside with the hook and cross (followed by switch kick. The final cross is to distract and make sure the hands stay up to expose the body for the angled kick rather than a power shot. Then deliver the knee after to close the range down to keep them on the ropes for clinch or for follow up combinations.

For boxing you could throw body hooks instead of kicks/knees. You can also just throw all your shots straight down the middle looking to score with the big spear knee rather than the kick. You can also fall on the kick into orthodox and throw the rear knee aswell (or vice versa).

I had a video of Ruth doing a similar combo on Instagram but I deleted it a while back when I went through a rebranding phase. Not sure if it's still posted anywhere. That variant was worth a look too. We still practice it when doing freestyle pads in the gym.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2016