MA for a Bailiff

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by brookerman, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

Fully agree with you there.

I can only apologise for the wording of my post and lack of clarity.

I did not mean to imply that physical intervention was pointless, more that it would be better all round if the OP didn't have to intervene at all - use the police for this instead if it ends up that way.

I was also trying to get across that restraining or throwing somsomeone to protect yourself doesn't just end there. What if the attacker repeatedly keeps coming? What if you've pinned them and you are now in a position where you cannot reach your phone for assistance?

I'm not saying at all that they shouldn't go hands on if that's what I'd needed, but to think how it can very quickly escalate if you do. Definitely have the tools in the box if needed, but in this case try not to use them.

All I meant was it is physically safer if a cop has to get stuck in who has armour and ppe to help them. It can also prevent legal repercussions such as "that bailiff assaulted me in my own home".

Once again, apologies for lack of clarity. I had just come off shift when I posted. Not that that is an excuse :)

2. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

JJJ....judo biased throes and ground work ....

see sig

Smurf

3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

You have the suggestions, so now go and try out a few classes. No point in going to a club if they're a bunch of meatheads unless that's you're thing. Most will let you try a class free or watch one at the very least. As long as the instruction's good, the rest are fine details. It doesn't matter so much whether you do a hip throw like a judoka or a wrestler. It just matters that you do it well. :)

4. daggers

daggers Valued Member

Balifs should be obsolete. What a rubbish scenario for anyone, bullies on the doorstep threatening people
    Police should do the job instead. They carry more weight and would do it a lot better. Most bailiffs don't understand the law.

5. Shmook

Shmook Valued Member

And people thought my first post was unhelpful...

6. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Given the scenario, i'd have to throw my vote in for something like judo or wrestling, but i can't really understate the benefit boxing would probably give you, given that most usually you would be having people trying to strike you, the defensive aspects would greatly help in both the avoidance and mitigation of damage, it would also probably make you much more aware of how to remain calm when struck.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Police already have enough on their plate as it is. Also, since it is a "civil recovery" , then it is a civil issue and therefore not a Police issue.
    (money owed from one to another)

I see where you're coming from though, but Public perspective will just see it as Police bullying people who owe debt from one person to another.

Its a horrible job in my opinion.

8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

There's a video doing the rounds on Facebook where some "High Court bailiffs" attempt to secure a house from someone who hasn't been paying their mortgage. Police are called and said bailiffs are eventually moved along (even warned with arrest for trespassing). They (the bailiffs) look like a horrible bunch of people.

9. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

In the UK - Judo. Better access and availability than wrestling - much more sensible to stay on your feet if you can, especially in situations where they may have a friend suddenly turn up and give you a shoeing. And as has been pointed out once you have them pinned etc it is hard to see where to go next. Think about small throws, controlling the hands (in case of an unseen blade) unbalancing and getting back to your feet if taken down rather than massive ippons - objective is to stay safe rather than 'win'. A lot of the value will be in the strength and confidence from randori rather than specific techniques I suspect.

As an aside, the majority of assaults are likely to involve punches - some time working with a boxer will improve your defensive skills, even if you are not able to punch back (although a decent bodyshot is a useful asset and less likely to cause trouble in the aftermath than a shot to the face)

10. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Bailiffs and Cops are actually quite different in regards to policy and what they are able to do with control and restraint!!