Pena vs Zingano?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by maressa, Jul 27, 2015.

1. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

There is a rumor Juliana Pena will fight Cat Zingano later this year. Juliana hasn't replied to the question on her facebook yet. Anyone know anything about this supposed matchup?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

It would be a terrible fight to make for both of them. Don't see it happening yet.

Pena needs at least 1 more fight before she can be looking at top 5 fighters, and winning the fight would do nothing for Zingano's career.

3. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

It's not a particularly interesting bout either.

4. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Not confirmed yet so I don't know. I have to root for Juliana, we are email friends. She came to Brazil recently but I didn't get to meet her.

5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Pena is not ready for Zingano. Maybe someday, but not yet.

People are tending to sell Zingano's skills short because she lost in such devastating fashion to Roussey. But she is an excellent fighter. She took out Tate in devastating fashion.

Pena needs a few more fights under her belt to work her way up to someone like Zingano.

6. holyheadjch

We obviously watched different fights.

7. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Juliana says she is willing to fight anyone. Whoever Dana White says. She said if Dana said Rhonda Rousey is her next opponent so be it. But I think he will bring her along more slowly.

8. aaradia

Oh right. I suppose you think Tate was going for the takedown at the end and it was an early stoppage? :rolleyes:

I didn't say she gave her a beatdown the whole fight, but that she took her out in devastating fashion. I guess you missed the part where Tate was getting knee after knee that had her fall on her hands and knees?

Lawlor was losing, until he made McDonald quit. Yeah, however the entire fight went- at the end he took McDonald out in devastating fashion.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  9. holyheadjch

No, I thought the stoppage was ok, but I think Tate won the first two rounds and was probably going to win the third until that 20 seconds when Zingano locked up her clinch. I don't think it was a particularly impressive TKO either. But whatever.

I agree with you than Pena is not ready for Zingano. I don't see White feeding Pena to Zingano, and I don't see Zingano taking the fight if it was offered.

10. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

The problem is that the division is so paper thin I'm not sure what other fight to make for Zingano and no one else is really a step up for Penne at the moment... Except maybe throwing Holly Holme into that mix, but she hadn't really looked great in the UFC so far.

11. holyheadjch

For Zingano? Tate, Eye, McMann, Davis all make better fights than Pena.

For Pena? Nunes, Kaufman, Eye, Correia are all better fights than Zingano.

12. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

I have to agree. Although Correia is about to fight for the title. I will root for her, being Brasiliero and all but I am not confident of her chances against Rhonda.

13. holyheadjch

Correia hasn't earned the right to be on the same fight card as Rousey, never mind the same fight.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Unless someone throws a crowbar in that cage and she manages to pick it up she has no chance

15. holyheadjch

It's a fight in Brazil, there is a very good chance that one of the judges will do just that.

16. aaradia

Ronda, no H.

Correia better tap quickly or she is going to get her arm broken. Roussey wouldn't break it after a tap out, but if Correia tries to hold on too long...............

After that crack about Roussey's Dad and suicide, a ton of Roussey haters I know on other forums are suddenly on Roussey's side - for this fight anyways.

Correia has that puncher's chance, but not really that even. One of the biggest title mismatches EVER.

17. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

To be fair, you spelled Lawler with an 'o'.

18. aaradia

Lol!!!! Fair enough!!! Thanks for pointing that out. I like him, so I would prefer to spell his name correctly. Although I can't say I have followed him until recently.

19. maressa

maressa Banned Banned

Ok, Juliana has said she is interested in fighting Zingano as a win would catapult her career. But then she says she will fight whoever Dana White wants her to. So its really up to Dana White who her next opponent is.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2015
  20. aaradia