Hi Guys

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by B.A. Baracus, Jul 24, 2015.

1. B.A. Baracus

B.A. Baracus Valued Member

Hi guys,

You can call me B.A.
    Martial arts is my hobby. I have always love Kung Fu movies, I grew up on Jackie Chan. About 2yrs ago I got into Yoshukai Karate. I have recently quit and am now teaching myself via utube. I have been watching Master Wong he has a utube course on Wing Chun.

Anyways I got exited when I saw this forum cause I don't have anyone to ask questions. I hope u guys know more than I do.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

First welcome

Second find a real school

Third Master Wong is anything but

3. B.A. Baracus

10-4

Ya I kinda figured that but because of where I live I cant get a REAL teacher. One day I hope to get some one to teach me for real!...sigh

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

Listen, I really hope you want to stick around here after you hear me and others say this to you. Because if you look around MAP, you will see this is by far the majority opinion on this matter. But expressing that doesn't mean we don't welcome you here.

You can't teach yourself MA's through youtube. You need a qualified instructor. I strongly recommend going back to your old school. If you were unhappy with it, find a new one.

Youtube can't look at what you are doing and give feedback. And it can't give you training partners.

Again, welcome!

5. B.A. Baracus

thx

Ya well I had to drive 2hrs, twice a week to go to that school. The teacher there is more interested in his black belt then me and all I did there was act as a punching bag for them. He had me doing black belt stuff without showing me how to do them. I ended up injuring myself because of that. I am on the lookout for a new school but I cant find one that's not really a daycare center. I cant spar with a 5yr old.

6. B.A. Baracus

and thank for the welcome guys

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Where are you based?

8. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

1st off, Welcome to MAP B.A...

Secondly,

Whilst I do not fully agree with Adults and Juniors (think 12 yrs and below) Training together, I do believe that you will get more from ACTUALLY sparring a 5 year old, than you will from listening to / watching a video about sparring with an adult. Additionally, I would be very surprised if every school / club local to you was 100% child student based, and I am sure that your presence would be welcomed by any existing adult members, who would relish the chance to have another grown up to partner up with.

Regards,

Travess

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

If this is a bit of hyperbole and I've misread it then sorry in advance but if not then I'm afraid this is a pretty ridiculous statement.

To B.A.: if you really must train solo at home then I'd focus on conditioning. You can do foundational striking and footwork alone also. If you post where you are living (rough location) someone might know somwhere good to train.

Martial arts isn't a solo activity.

PS master Wong is garbage.

10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

Not hyperbole, but looking back on it, not a point well made at all either...

My point(s) where that at least the OP would be a part of an actual club, receiving tuition from a (hopefully) qualified instructor, and the downside of having to spar with a 5 year old (even without knowing the percentage of time spent Sparring, compared to other drills, nor the ratio of adult to kids in a class) would outweigh the 'Benefits' of sitting at home, watching Master Wong videos.

Regards

Travess

11. Knee Rider

Ha! Definitely no argument here :D

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

How do these youtube guys get away with it?

13. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Welcome BA. Hope you can find a good school nearby.

Because unfortunately people equate good production with knowledge of the subject. Master Wong has the former but certainly not the latter.

14. Knee Rider

Because the martial arts are rife with delusion, fantasy, self-agrandisment, false promises, myth, ego, stagnation, unquestioning adherence to tradition, group think, faith, deception, asian-ophilia, systemic misinformation and mysticism. Plenty of people can and do get away with any/all of the above both online and off everyday. Yes even the 'legit' ones. 80% of the martial arts are an embarrassment to humanity's critical thinking :p

15. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah it's been hard finding something decent for me, and my daughter

16. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

double post sorry!

17. Dead_pool

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddbBoIu7QIA"]Peter Boghossian & Matt Thornton Talk Jiu Jitsu, Religion, and Critical Thinking, then Roll! - YouTube[/ame]

I'd definitely agree, Here's a quick video about that topic, I love Matts videos about this, because I tend to agree with most of what he says, but definitely not all of it.

18. Dead_pool

You have BJJ and Judo nearby.

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah but only found it recently :)

20. Dead_pool

18-Nov-2014.

That's 8 months of training you could of had, imagine how fit you would be by now! All you have to do is show up!