Words of Warning and Stupidity

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Jul 21, 2015.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

There are certain words which tend to drive me up the wall and force me to assume the general ignorance of the speaker as the words themselves are usually used to express unintelligible drivel. Personally I think these words should, outside of certain contexts, enjoy a ban from general conversational verbiage.

The ancients → outside of a specific reference in the Stargate franchise this is usually used when the speaker is trying to add some historicity to their point while not having any actual knowledge of history

Toxins → used by people with no knowledge of chemistry and/or biology to justify their latest dietary supplement, exercise, or other crazy nonsense

Toning → the glorious nonsense word used on women all over because it involves neither the word muscle nor the word fat

Anyone got any more?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Ordinary members of the public - sounds ever so degrading to me.

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Any word ending with class - I assume I'm about to hear a wide sweeping statement built largely on either jealousy or snobbery depending which way its going.

Trigger - Not the gun type. Those are inoffensive little things. But while I understand the whole thing with "trigger warning" "I feel triggered" and stuff its become such an overused thing I just...I dunno. I'm becoming one of those crotchety old men complaining about the wimpification of society.

Brussels - Within a political context. I assume I'm about to hear a lot of baseless whining about things people don't understand. Much like anti-vaccine people really.

I tried to think of some funnier ones to do with pop-culture then remembered I'm a grumpy git.

4. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Energy - gets mightily abused out of all recognition to what the word actually means.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Internal vs external
    Street vs sport

All false paradigms

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

7. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

"Studies show..."

Are you sure? Which ones? What do the other studies show? Are you sure it's applicable in this instance? Were their methods robust? What statistical tests did they use and at what confidence interval? Do you regret starting this conversation? :D

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

historicity Just now, I've never experienced this word before but I hate it...probably because I can't say it. Nothing personal Sifu :bow1:

9. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I use an ancient toxin toning method

10. Karatebadger

Karatebadger Valued Member

People often get historicity and historicality confused. Historicality is the property of having been recorded in history, being historical. Historicity is the possibility of being able to be recorded as history. Or something like that, I frequently got picked up on it by my tutors and it didn't stick properly in my mind even then. Now that I have graduated I find it grates upon my sensibilities less and less each day.

11. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Are you sure you aren't thinking of historiciousness? ;)

12. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

People get historic and historical confused all the time. It really bugs me.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Balance and harmony - People seem to think that the world, and even their own bodies, could be some sort of steady state nirvana if only they could get the balance right. No. The world, and our bodies, are battle grounds where organisms are fighting to come out on top. They are in a constant state of flux.

14. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

My guts would totally agree with you on that right now. :cry:

15. fatcat

fatcat Valued Member

Reiterate - Why not just say iterate? Reads like re-repeat.
    This is a politician's favourite.

16. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

Spiritual - it's one of those words which has a genuine meaning, but the way that most people tend to use it makes me cringe.

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

At the end of the day, basically, but etc

18. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Chemicals. So many anti-vaccers love to use chemicals as a reason for why medicine is bad.

19. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

The most optimal - not sure how often this is used in English, but there are some people saying that in Czech. It makes no sense...

20. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

so basically, at the end of the day you would hate talking to me.

also, i'm going with misuse of hypothetically and theoretically