Okinawa female rank

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by theviper, Nov 25, 2014.

1. theviper

theviper Valued Member

Hi All

I was talking with a friend and a little debate come up about ranks in karate and would like a little help please

do female black belts in Okinawa wear a Black belt with a white stripe or red stripe to identify that they are female from a distance ???

or do all Black Belts wear a straight Black

many thanks

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I know that female Judoka used to wear back belts with a white stripes but I think that outdated concept was dropped years ago.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Pretty sexist. I know that some ninjutsu clubs still do something similar.

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I agree with Chadderz- very sexist. I wouldn't go to any school that did this.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Judo had (maybe still has?) a whole women's division where they learned (still learn?) specific women's kata and stuff.
    Because the ladies couldn't take the rough and tumble of proper judo!
    I think ju no kata is often considered a "women's kata" for example.

6. theviper

theviper Valued Member

Chadderz and aaradia why is it sexist ???

we do our main class in a large sports hall, we have a couple of young lady's which are starting to grow up and if they have an problems it is easier if the belts are changed a little.

7. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

From what footage I've seen in Okinawan Karate, no. Everyone wears the same belt. I've never seen anything to suggest anything otherwise.

8. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You're going to have to elaborate (a lot) to justify that.

9. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

As Holy said, some elaboration may be required (for your second point IMO).

As to why it could be considered sexist, it could be seen as indirectly saying "Oh, a woman! You must be distinguished as different to us men because you have WOMAN PARTS! Obviously you cannot be considered the same as MEN!" (to be read as tongue in cheek in a Brian Blessed style voice, but the idea behind the point is there and serious).

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i think he means that belt rankings are separate but equal. sounds like a great idea! :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

11. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

That's how I read it. Figured I'd wait for confirmation before destroying his school.

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

People should be ranked by skill. Period. Not by gender.

13. Pretty In Pink

There's definitely a joke in there that would get me banned. Pretty sure I can't risk it :(

14. theviper

theviper Valued Member

I am not saying any female is worth less then a man of the same grade,

it is just easier for the students to tell from one end of the room. my wife is a 1st dan and wears a pink belt (she does not like black and wanted a pink belt) so that makes her stand out

yes you should only be ranked by skill but you do have to take some thing into account with some female as like it or not in Karate a lady with large breast can not do a proper inside block fact so should not be able to pass a red belt grade then if you was to go but skill only

15. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Do you also suggest different belts for the disabled or the elderly ?

16. theviper

theviper Valued Member

it is only to show who is the male and female black belts

and it was only a question it is not something I do
    yes my wife wears a pink belt who is a 1st Dan (because she wishes to) and I am a 3rd Dan and wear a plain black belt no writing or bar

17. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Exactly , a dan grade is a dan grade , their gender shouldn't come into it.

18. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Why is this necessary in the first place?

19. theviper

theviper Valued Member

it is not necessary just a question

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
  20. Pretty In Pink

If she had large breasts I certainly wouldn't need a different colour belt to notice her. Bit of a moot point.