Star Wars epsiode 7

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Nov 28, 2014.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Wow.

You could have read 30 real books for grown-ups in that time.

:p

2. David Harrison

Saw the Episode I trashing.

1000 times more entertaining than the film, and surprisingly funny and rather insightful look into Hollywood writing structure.

Cheers for mentioning it! :beer:

(why doesn't this forum have a "cheers" emoticon? :mad: )

3. David Harrison

You mean Return of the Jedi?

4. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I thought watching Yoda in action vs Count Dooku was pretty cool!

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I thought it mildly cool, as was Mace Windu versus Palpatine, but only because of who the combatants were. The choreography/scripting was unfortunately of low caliber. All the money in "Star Wars" goes into computer effects instead of script writing, acting lessons, and choreography. (sigh)

Seriously, what with all the hype about what a powerful Jedi Yoda is, blah blah blah he's the most feared and powerful Jedi, I expected a lot more out of him here and when he faced off with Palpatine later in the story line. Like with the pillar tumbling down -- why not push it away harmlessly? Or better yet, why not slide the fallen Jedi out of its path? And why did Yoda need two hands and total concentration to move the pillar when Dooku did it with one hand while dueling? And why didn't Dooku attack Yoda when Yoda was unarmed and concentrating on the pillar? In "Empire" Darth Vader grabbed things and threw them at Luke when they fought. Why couldn't Yoda do the same in this fight with Dooku? Or how about some Force shoves by the mightiest Jedi in the universe? :(

6. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Because the Sith are better

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

choreography? liam neeson, hayden christensen, ray park and ewan mcgregor all did more hardcore training for the prequel trilogy than many serious martial artists will do in their life :p

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3rtSwXThXU"]Lightsaber training in Star Wars - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk1qghsNiok"]Sword-Fighting in Star Wars Ep. I - YouTube[/ame]

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

".....Money spent...... instead of on Choreography....."

Seriously? Did you think that the Original three films were very well choreographed fight scenes?

9. Fish Of Doom

also what chadderz said. it's like on another forum i saw people complaining about the space magic in interstellar while praising 2001's :p

10. Fish Of Doom

also, [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PAOPveZtoE"]Star Wars It's All For Real: The Stunts Of Episode III Featurette Part 2 - YouTube[/ame]

11. David Harrison

Honestly, everyone talking about Star Wars fight choreography should watch the Episode I review Mr. Smith mentioned. Then you will be in no doubt as to why the original trilogy had far superior fight scenes, regardless of budget, choreography or CGI.

12. David Harrison

Space magic?

Is there an extended version of 2001 I don't know about?

13. Fish Of Doom

it's a reference to arthur c clarke's "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".

14. David Harrison

15. Fish Of Doom

that article does not read as "interstellar is not very grounded in science" (in fact it directly states the opposite at one point). it reads as "there are things in interstellar which are not feasible". which is, you know, kind of the point of science fiction ;). hell, it's a movie, not a textbook :p; this is like wanting your team to win a world championship and then when they win a very close final match, complaining that they didn't dominate :p

some of the points he raises (notably, time dilation) have actually been talked about by kip thorne, the scientific advisor for the movie, who worked one-on-one with nolan to hammer out the details and actually had to veto several things due to extreme scientific inaccuracy.

16. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Queen Black Swan Madeline said that in Thor!

17. David Harrison

Must'a been where that Arthur bloke nicked it from.

18. David Harrison

Sure, I don't care about infeasibility in fiction, that's fine. I thought when you said the "space magic" thing that people were comparing the feasibility of the two films. From what I've read about interstellar, it's not as feasible as 2001, so that sounds like fair comment. That's all.

The feasibility of 2001 is part of its appeal to many people.

19. Fish Of Doom

well, that's the thing, they were talking about the feasibility of the unfeasible things. been a while since i've seen the movie itself, but going by the novels? space mothertrucking magic ahoy (and HOW). did the 2001 movie have the starchild blowing up the nuke thing?

20. David Harrison

It's been a while since I saw the film, and a lot longer since I read the book...

I don't remember anything about nukes though...