The Technique Thread

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Simon, Mar 2, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Yep and for me it comes down to having well drilled training partners that you trust.

You both know when you have or could have it on, so it's a case of tap early, just as you would when rolling.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

And drilling.....lots of drilling

3. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Cool - we do a fair amount of them, but it feels to me that there's a high risk in fully pressured situations
    Maybe I'll add them into the repertoire on the basis of "tap when it's set up"

4. Simon

Not sure how Hannibal does it, but the above is my approach.

You know when it's on, or when you've lost the advantage so have to tap.

Quick tip for anyone trying it is not to try and crank and raise your arms up, but rather drive your hips in and up.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  5. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

John Titchen doesn't allow neck cranks in his sim days for safety reasons. I guess the fact that the participants are not always used to training together might affect that decision too.

I think that techniques like neck cranks really place the safety onus on the person doing them rather than expecting the person on the receiving end to tap, if we're talking about hot-blooded sparring.

As well as needing sensitivity and control to do it safely, you have to have your ego in check and not continue to go for them if you would have to up your pace and power to get it.

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I don't want to speak for John and he can always provide his own explanation, but the nature of a sim day is chaotic beyond the levels of normal sparring. Anywhere from 2 to 12 people in a small area and with different objectives, varying levels and areas of experience, uneven footing caused by obstacles such as furniture, plastic bottles, or other props, and many other variables besides make some techniques too risky, when they might be safely applied in normal club sparring. :)

Mitch

7. Hannibal

Not to appeal to antiquity but they have been a part of wrestling practice for centuries with little to no Ill effects :)

8. David Harrison

Good points, thanks :)

Sure, but I do think it's easier to control for safety in that kind of technique when you are limited to grappling. Also, in club sparring you might have small people sparring someone twice their weight.

But I'm not saying they should be banned or anything!

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Also...headgear. Having a protective helmet on greatly increases the holds, torque and leverage you can get on a head. It also makes getting your head out of a hold much harder.
    I'd also dare say that there may be legal underpinnings too?
    Risk of neck damage may effect your defence in court if you apply a crank with gusto?

10. Simon

I've been stopped a couple of times in Sim Days from continuing with a neck crank.
    As Smitfire says the helmet makes a lot of difference.

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

I completely agree that neck cranks are part of wrestling practice that causes no problems for fit individuals with no pre-existing neck problems.

But for ordinary people of indeterminate age and fitness they can potentially cause injury.

12. Hannibal

So can getting punched in the face, so can an armbar and so can just warming up by that metric

More people will be injured - some seriously - by running and weight training this week than neck cranks :)

13. Hannibal

One reason people do get hurt with them is they don't know how to do them properly or else are being taught by someone who doesn't

Catch is very much an "art de jour" in the grappling world, but the number of actual legit practitioners is not very high at all compared to the fanboys and peanut gallery members who lay claim to it....the recent exposure has only served to elevate the neck crank in people's awareness but people still don't grasp what they are seeing or doing (as evidenced by many people still thinking Josh Barnett beat Dean Lister with a neck crank)

14. David Harrison

So true.

Playing football has been responsible for more injuries in my students than anything else, by far.

15. Hannibal

Cheerleading is apparently ridiculously high on injury scale too....And then there single most dangerous sport of all time of course....

Angling :)

16. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Having a crack at using the new functionality :)

Here's a clip showing one or two techniques that we studied at this year's excellent MAP Meet - enjoy

Apologies for the tardy outfit - I forgot my gi

All feedback very welcome

Edit - Yayyy - my vimeo clips are finally embedded

17. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I remember Penn and Teller did a show on Cheerleading injuries. It's inhumane! It's group gymnastic practice, but with no safety equipment. "Because safety equipment is not allowed in competition".
    So little girls are being tossed in the air and spinning as practice and landing on their neck/shoulders. It's practice. Key word right there.

Alansmurf, Hannibal and Mitch like this.
  18. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I think that the highest death rate for sports is the Equestrian events. Having a horse roll on top of you can't be good. Falling off the horse isn't much better. I think we were told a jockey has a concussion once every 20 rides...

19. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Cricket has a high mortallity rate

Lotus Flower likes this.
  20. Hannibal

Angling has the highest