Rickson's new rules penalize guard pulling.

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Combat Sports, Jul 16, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

https://www.jjgf.com/membership

Can you see why that wouldnt be BJJ.

Anyway........... ive just been looking at membership, free for youths, 15 dollars a year for everybody else, free access to education media, and has the backing of a council of high grade blackbelts, this is a really good move and ill be joining myself later today.

edit - acadamy registration is 30 dollars too, considering the ibjjf charge many hundreds of dollars this really does look like a properly organised grass roots campaign. and it fully deserves our support.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yes. Hence why I said that my idea would basically be CACC, because it would favour the submission over position.

3. Dead_pool

what is the advantage to that?

4. Pretty In Pink

More exciting matches, more finishes, more sub attempts. Wouldn't be BJJ but it'd be good to watch.

5. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I like Metamoris rules - you win or you draw

The drawback to a CACC format is you can "pin" for a victory; something that discounts a lot of BJJ players who work from the guard

6. Dead_pool

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rk8SM8Rdo[/ame]

CACC in a gi -

:)

7. Combat Sports

Combat Sports Formerly What Works Banned

Does it have a no-gi division? If so I think I know where my kids will compete. That all sounds awesome.

8. Pretty In Pink

9. Dead_pool

it will do soon no doubt, gi and nogi are all just jujitsu.

10. Dead_pool

its josh barnett leg locking someone from an inferior position, thats as near CACC as you can get!

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD_guR1kWTU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oD_guR1kWTU[/ame]

12. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

Full rules are up now: https://www.jjgf.com/tournament/rules

They're pumping out a lot of information and have some big plans, so it will be interesting to see if the people behind the JJGF manage to follow through.

In regards to guard pulling, this is what it currently says in the JJGF rulebook:

13. Dead_pool

So its encouraging an active aggressive takedown game mixed in with pulling guard and having an active agressive guard game, without stopping people from doing what they want so you still need to know howto prevent guard pulling.

sounds like a good concept, I wonder what tactics will evolve under the ruleset.

14. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Rickson's just been on Joe Rogan's podcast talking about this (as well as some wicked old school bjj stories).

15. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

I still tend to think that less rules would be a better solution, rather than adding in more. Especially after watching the Commonwealth Games judo online today: naturally it's a different sport, but frustrating from a BJJ perspective that they get stood up so soon, along with the rules like no grabbing the legs for a takedown.

I'd prefer a submission only, no time limit set-up, with as few rules as possible. I'd like to see an open set-up for competitors to work out what's effective and what isn't, rather than rules that try to push them towards a specific style.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

God yeah. It's bizarre that a player can be penalised for passivity on the feet and yet when it goes to newaza the player that is in a slightly bad position just lays there like a fish with rigor mortis. I saw one scottish guy holding his hand up to the ref to try to get them stood up again while his opponent was on his back fishing for a choke.

17. MaxSmith

MaxSmith Valued Member

This is why, for me, Judo is just throw practice for BJJ now. Something I do once or twice a week to keep my takedowns sharp, or as sharp as a creaky old ******* like me can keep them. As a sport its just...

Not going in the direction I'm personally fond of.

But back on topic:

On the one had I agree on the less rules are better mentality for BJJ, but on the other I can see how you could end up with a lot of high level matches where almost nothing happens. So instead of having much of an opinion on Rixen's proposed rule set, I'll just wait and see how the competition plays out if and when it happens. I'm quite sure he's put a lot more thought into it than I have anyway.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I don't get what's wrong with high level matches where nothing happens? BJJ will never be a spectator sport and my impression is the people who like watching bjj enjoy those matches to some degree anyway. I don't get the idea that black belts have to be exciting?

19. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I like these rules a lot better than I did when they initially just said that there would be a penalty for guard pulling. Color me reactionary. :p

20. Risin1

Risin1 Valued Member

I cant stand the fact that people bash guard pulling. If you really understand whats behind it you can see its very offensive. If you are pulling guard, the main thing on your mind is setting up a submission or sweep immediately.
    Nine times out of ten, when somebody shoots a double leg for example they immediately wind up in someone's half guard or in side control. From there they have to first work to the positional situation. When guard pullers are taking immediate action to dictate the match.