What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Re-watched 300. Meh, it's a good cheese fest. That's about it.

Clash of the Titans. I was so bored I spent the entire time doing a "How it Should have ended" type replay of different chunks of the movie. They managed to take a decent cast list and some pretty cool special effects and make the original story even worse.

Horrible bosses. Surprisingly entertaining actually, especially as I used to know a couple of guys just like some of the the main characters. I wouldn't go as far as to call it "funny" though.

The Lego Movie. Oh lawd I am so very happy the wife bought that on DVD. Always loved the silly Lego style humour in a lot of their games and the movie was no different. Good stuff. :D

2. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Blood on the Sun

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

2012 – it was a bad decision on my part. Thought I’d watch a disaster movie with my little girl as opposed to the usual Disney stuff. I should have opted for the Disney stuff. This was a terrible movie, I prayed for it to end but had reached the point of no return and not realising how long this went on for I stupidly watched to the end. My little girl fell asleep 2 hours in. My verdict is 2012 = abomination 3/10

Frozen – after the travesty that was 2012 I had to make it up to my little girl so we went out and got her Disney’s Frozen. Loved this movie but should have really gotten the 3D blueray version which I think I will do. Really emotive movie with the usual Disney songs that kids and adults alike love. Recommended. 8/10

Baza

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes.

If you liked 'Rise...' you'll thoroughly enjoy this. Remarkable how CGI chimps can overshadow their human counterparts in the acting stakes. My favourite character was Koba, this film's psychopathic version of Scar from 'The Lion King.' The visuals were breathtaking, action sequences top notch, and all the arty farty stuff (characterisation, atmosphere, mise en scene, etc) were extremely well done, making this one of the summer's best films. 8 out of 10.

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

+100 kudos points for using the term mise en scene. :)

6. Rhythmkiller

The original is one of my all time favourite movies but the remake was a travesty. A cast that should have been able to deliver on screen and a classic story already written.....what could go wrong. I can't even delete this from my memory.

On another note i was terrified as a child of Tom Jones because i thought he was Calibos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Baza

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

It's not unusual.

8. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

To be fair the original wasn't as bad as I like to think it was. It was actually alright for it's time. But I think my sheer disappointment in the modern remake has jaded my view of it. This is coming from the guy that actually wanted to watch Sharknado too.

And to think, before this movie I was of a view that a good cast can make even a rubbish movie seem better than it is.

Oh lawd, I laughed! :D.

Now, to find that movie I keep seeing on the adverts about sharks who swim in sand...

9. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

I have to admit I have seen it (Sand Sharks). Not as good as the masterpiece that is 2-Headed Shark Attack.

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Watched this a few weeks back whilst on holiday and just have to mention it here.

Straw Dogs, 1971 Sam Peckinpah original. WOW. I get why it was banned on video in the UK for years. Very dark and menacing film that really packs a punch. I don't recall ever seeing a movie from that era that was anything like this. A newly married couple return to an English village; he is American (Dustin Hoffman) and she originally from the area, played by Susan George. It's not a great advert for the civility of our country bumpkins.... A bit like the UK version of Deliverance in that regard. Although I'm sure it's a lot better now!

Will be interesting to see the remake, I can't imagine it will have the same rawness and menace of the original. Really good, once it gets going (you'll know what I mean) it has you on the edge of your seat 10/10.

Strangely have had this in my DVD collection for several years and only just got round to watching it, so glad I did, an absolute classic.
    info & fuller review here:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067800/

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Watched "Untouchable" last night. What a fantastic film. Absolutely first class performances from the leads. A shame they changed the carer role from Algerian/French to Senegalese/French but I can see how doing that highlighted the differences between the main characters even more. And it meant we get an outstanding performance from Omar Sy, who is very charismatic. A little bit overdone on the schmaltz front on occasion but very touching and moving. Also laugh out loud funny too. 8.5/10

12. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

Hercules (The Rock version) 7/10

The Good: Dwayne Johnson is the perfect man to play Hercules, huge, athletic and extremely charismatic with a great understanding of screen fighting. There are some great set shots and the supporting cast is ok.

The Bad: A lot of the movie is dark and the 3d is really poor. The storyline is about as basic as it gets and there is almost no character building at all.
    Hollywood seems to have a love hate relationship with Greek Myths, they love the fact that there is a huge ready made fan knowledge but they hate the idea of actually telling a myth accurately. They really really love the idea of telling the story behind the myth and end up with something that has no resemblance to it.
    In this they can't seem to make up their mind if Hercules is a normal human or really half god, the story shows that his feats are really just stories made up to create fame, but then they have him as super humanly strong; throwing horses, punching people through the air and toppling 20 meter statues

If you enjoyed watching Dwayne Johnson in The Scorpion King then you should enjoy this.

13. Archibald

Archibald A little koala

I really liked Dawn if Planet of the Apes but it was remarkable how boring the human characters were - I honestly could not have given two figs about them. Even Gary Oldman was wasted. Franco May have been well miscast in Rise but at least he's fun to watch.

The apes were excellent though, I love the way they talk. Also apes with guns on horseback is always going to be a win.

Watched There Will Be Blood for the umpteenth time last night, can't get enough of that film. The last scene terrifies me and cracks me up at the same time.

14. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Ok - re watching The Mist which I have on DVD. Just realized this move has several big characters from The Walking Dead. I guess Frank Darabont took some folks that were good here and decided they would be good in The Walking Dead ( I guess he has worked with Dale a lot). Melissa McBride is younger (cause it is 1997) but still has the same haircut! She has about 90 seconds screentime unfortunately.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  15. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

The Journey

16. Rhythmkiller

Dawn of the planet of the Apes, brilliant film highly recommended. 8/10

Baza

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Hercules.

Can Dwayne Johnson get any bigger? Thought he was huge in 'Fast 6', but he's a mountain in this. His physique suits the role perfectly, certainly better than the rubbish Kellan Lutz attempt we got earlier this year. His athletic background shines through in the fight scenes, and as somebody else said, his charisma brings his character to life. The supporting cast was good, plenty of banter, although Megara (Hercules's wife) wasn't on screen nearly as much as she should have been. Seriously, Irina Shayk (Cristiano Ronaldo's bird) is the whole reason I went to see this film. Good fun, don't expect too much from it and you won't be disappointed. 6/10.

18. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think I'll go and see that on the proper cinema. It'll be my once every five years trip to the flicks.

Erm...do they speak in English or is it some ape-talk? Kinda wondering 'cause of the subtitles!?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  19. Rhythmkiller

They speak both gultural English and they spek ape talk with subtitles. The very start of the movie with Koba the monkey/ape sets the film up very well and lets you know what your in for.

Baza

20. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Ok, cheers! I don't mind subtitles if it's a foreign language film and the subs are in English, but the subs will be in Finnish and my reading is slooooooow and I miss half the film as I am trying to work out what they hell people said! Hah. I can make up my own translation though, that's always fun.