How long did it take?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Tom1uk, Mar 25, 2014.

1. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Tom, where in the UK are you?

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It depends on how long it may take you to develop your finish moves. When you have some good finish moves, you then develop your entering strategy (set up) around it. When you have developed both the

- "entering strategy", and
    - "finish strategy",

you will start to have confidence in yourself.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  3. fatcat

fatcat Valued Member

Sounds like you are being overly critical. If you focus on negatives you are setting yourself up for failure.
    Try and look for small gains and be more realistic about progress. It's a long haul and you will go backwards some of the time. This is normal.
    You also might be comparing yourself to others. Try and think about what you personally want to get out of it. Some people work better with more focused goals or broad objectives.
    For instance, I am stuck with patterns at the moment. I am getting a sort of stage fright when I perform them ever since my last grading. I am bad at the moment but I am slowly getting there. With practice its starting to come together.

4. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

Simon I am in the northwest, cheshire. Why so?

Fatcat, a lot of people are saying that I am really hard on myself, but it's the little things I notice. I don't expect me to be doing all the things the fighters are doing, but I am really not moving enough and I struggle to see the shapes of shots being thrown so I can avoid or counter. I also struggle with the thai response system, as In being quick enough to score straight back after being hit. Feels like at this point I should be able to do this.

5. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I'd have invited you down to my Sunday morning class had you been closer.

6. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

That would of been a pleasure, still it's not like we live countries apart, so I don't see why it couldn't happen on my travels.

7. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I'm pushing 10 years in Kajukenbo and I still mess up boxing combinations sometimes haha. Nobody is ever perfect. What I've learned from my experience is that when you have a "duh" or "derp" moment, just stick through it, maybe take a second to think about why you didn't get it, then keep pressing forward. When you let yourself give up because of a bad day, that's when you've lost. (Not saying you did, just a word of caution)

I also sometimes just spontaneously practice what I learned or redo it in my head when I'm alone, or at home. Think of application, think of that perfect punch that your instructor showed you, you throwing that combination in a sparring match. Visualizing yourself doing it regularly will help it click faster for you because your mind already knows what it will be doing, its just a matter of getting your body to do it. That's what worked for me, I was absolute trash with curriculum stuff when I was younger ... I'm still young -.- 17, but you catch my drift :D

Ask your instructor/trainer on ways for you to improve certain things too, it never hurt to ask, they're there for a reason and worst case scenario that they don't know, you've maybe wasted 5 minutes of your time asking, but on the same note, shown your instructor that you truly want to get better. I hear stories in college where smart students fail b/c they don't want to go visit their professor during his/her office hours. More often than not, your instructor has been in your position at some point in their martial arts journey and you may get a good story out of them.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  8. Wooden Hare

Wooden Hare Banned Banned

Good, that means it's probably working. If you left every week feeling invincible or like a martial demigod, I'd be worried.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a massive right. There are so many ways to deliver one.

[​IMG]

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You will need to have a plan.

For example, you have to force yourself (this is very important, otherwise it won't work) that in the next 3 months, you want to use your jab to hit your opponent's face. You don't care about anything else. You just concentrate on one thing and one thing only, that's "jab meet face".

After 3 months, you have developed a strong foundation on your jab. you then try to use you jab to set up your cross, hook, or, ...

IMO, all MA skills should be developed this way.

10. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

It takes me on average about a year for training to click. Everyone is different, if you're enjoying what it is you're doing you will naturally improve over time. Try not to compare yourself to others (hard I know), instead try to work on comparing yourself from where you were when you started and where you are now. Practice, patience and perseverance are key.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

It's a lifelong journey of clicks for me. Sometimes little ones, sometimes huge ones. sometimes you have a phase where a lot of them come in quick succession, other times it feels like foreever since the last one happened.

The trick is, to just decide you aren't going to quit, no matter how badly you feel you perform on any given day, no matter if you feel unworthy. Just decide you won't quit- it isn't an option. Once that option is out, what is left? Well, just keeping at it until you get it, no matter how long it takes.

I have surpassed many people far younger and far more talented than I am in our school curriculum (sash levels). Because they quit and I am still at it. I am just too stubborn and I keep plugging away at it. That is why I will get my black sash (and continue to improve beyond that) while those people who who had things click more easily and quickly will not.

And sometimes when you get all caught up in your goals, and get frustrated because you fall short of them, just remind yourself "I am doing this for fun!" I have to do that sometimes.

12. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Yes, this.

I was (am) going to say something similar. Sometimes, it is overwhelming working on too many things at once. So pick one thing- maybe two- but usually one thing to work on. Make that your primary focus. Don't worry about winning or losing, just worry about developing that one thing. Don't worry about how long it takes. If you stick with it, trust me, it will get better. Then pick on something else footwork related.

It can be something specific, like the jab to the face. Or a bigger concept. Right now I am focusing on developing my footwork. But I set a specific footwork concept and work on that for awhile, then something else.

I would personally suggest just focusing on it for as long as it takes. Not setting a time frame. I dunno, Try both setting one and not setting one. See what works for you.

You can build on that one thing and add to it, or pick someting unrelated to work on next.

You can ask an instructor what the one thing you need to work on most should be. Or just decide for yourself. I recoommend instructor input though.

13. Alienfish360

Alienfish360 Valued Member

Tom1UK

I am also in Cheshire, out of curiosity where are you training? You can PM me if you don't want to make it public, as I may be able to help you.

14. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

To me, that time period is 6 months. But I have seen people used 2 years or even 3 years as their time period. After you have developed a solid skill, you will find that you may spend the rest of your life to develop all your other skills around that single skill. One day, everybody know that you are good in that single skill and want to learn from you. You will then become a master of that "single skill". When people start to learn from you, they will find out that in order to be good in that single skill, they have to master 30 other skills to support it. That's how the MA skill development should be.

15. GenghisK

GenghisK Jiu Jitsu Kempoka

It started to click properly for me after I'd been training for about a dozen years, of which about a year was teaching. I suppose I'd been a brown belt for a couple of years about then.

G

16. Tom1uk

Tom1uk Valued Member

So I'm further in to my training now, and I have to be honest I'm still not feeling like I'm picking it up properly. I am very hard on my self in general, and people are forever saying so. But people are never saying that I'm doing well etc either lol. I have yet to leave sparring like I did well, or like I responded well or landed a punch. It's frustrating as I thought over time with me loosing weight and I'm getting fitter I would start to find it easier and obviously push myself harder to ensure I'm still working to the max, but I feel I'm still at the same level as when I started.

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Everyone is different. The main thing to keep in mind are the pro/positives

Be less concern on how far you come, how well you may or may not be doing'

Be more concern on just the training and follow the trainer

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Hi Tom. If I'm reading this thread correctly you took up martial arts around March this year (2014). It's only July. You've been at it a total of 4 months give or take a few. That's not a long time in martial arts. Most people to my knowledge take a year to 3 years minimum to become genuinely proficient at a basic level. And even then they still go through rough patches. And it's not uncommon for folk to take a lot longer. Even well seasoned professionals have crap sessions.

Having read some of your other posts I think you perhaps need to accept you're not going to be as perfect as you want to be. It seems as though you already know you're asking too much of yourself too soon. But just aren't willing to admit it.

Being healthier and fitter will certainly make training more enjoyable. It won't however be transformational in respect of skill in any way. So I'd recommend you stop taking yourself so seriously. Leave your ego at home. It gets in the way of training.

Looking back it seems your primary objectives were to lose weight, get fitter and get out more. It seems to me, based on what you've posted, you're on track with what you set out to do. So perhaps it's time to reassess what it is your after.

It certainly seems as though you're more interested now in becoming good at your chosen art instead of just shedding a few pounds.

19. Wildlings

Wildlings Baguette Jouster

It won't click if you're constantly monitoring your progress - it's like watching the grass grow.
    Focus on each single training session, trying every time to do a little better than the previous session.
    You'll realize in the long run how far you've come.

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

"It is wike a fringer poiwting to da mune......down't contrate on da fringer oar you wood mriss awl dat heavnry grory"