Coach punches student as punishment for losing

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by Rhythmkiller, Jul 21, 2014.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I find this story utterly unbelievable.
    We all know TKD people can't punch.

:evil:

2. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

If that was my son that was punched, that coach better be a faster runner than me... No need for that sort of discipline/abuse.

I believe in the school of hard knocks i.e. strict discipline and hard training but he crossed a line in my eyes regardless of cultural differences ect.

3. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Agreed, i was thinking the same thing. In my community i have to say that if a coach was to hit a child there'd be uproar. The police would certainly not take this lightly, They are very proactive when it comes to protecting children.

Baza

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

I would be amazed if he got out of the building alive if he did that in Glasgow :)

5. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

I don't know which version is accurate:

"No one is disputing that coach Choi struck the young woman. The question has been over whether the force used was excessive. The coach earlier described the punishment not as the "punch" the fighter described,but light, open-hand contact. "

So, does the degree of contact matter?

If a student drops their hands repeatedly and I bop them on the head with a target paddle with force that does not cause the head to move or leave any marks is that excessive?

If a student is not paying attention and I bop them on the rear with the same degree of force is that excessive?

6. Rhythmkiller

With respect Master Weiss your scenario isn't exactly indicative of what happened. Your scenario is you making a student aware of the do's and dont's of sparring. Would you lay hands on one of your students for losing a sparring match?

The degree of contact does matter as do the circumstances. You already stated a light tap on the head with a paddle to wake someone up and in my opinion this is acceptable as your aren't doing any harm.

If someone decides to discipline my kid using any force then i'm afraid i be going gorrilla style. I don't hit my kids and i'm sure not going to let someone else do it.

Baza

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Showing a student where they are open when they are sparring with a light tap is a completely different context to what Choi did i.e. lose control going by what is written.

Maybe different rules in his part of the world but as Baza mentioned that would not go down well nor would be tolerated in the UK.

Fist or open hand is irrelevant to me, he did it to punish the student rather than teach.

8. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I just want to point out that the person that got hit was not a child.

9. Rhythmkiller

I noticed that. Again though, striking isn't something that should be used as a form of punishment. The person was struck for not winning a match and i don't fnd that acceptable.

As i said earlier talking to my dad and various older guys around my dojang who have trained under Korean instructors striking children did happen but was generally accepted. Of course in those days kids were also given the belt in schools.

Baza

10. Earl Weiss

Earl Weiss Valued Member

Yep, and some of the societal issue we now face on a regular and widespread basis were much less common.

Cause and effect? I don't know but I can't help but think that corporal punishment could have a value in some cases. However, that is different. Trying to correct bad behaviour is not the same as punishment for making a mistake.

11. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

I agree. If I had a kid and got a call from the school saying he was bullying other kids,I probably wouldn't feel bad about giving him a smack on the back of his head. But if he lost a soccer game, I wouldn't even consider hitting him or even punishing him.

12. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Totally agree. Just wanted to keep things in context.

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

The article says she didnt take responsibility for the match, didnt prepare properly, forgot her ID card and was late.

Nothing to get punched for, but definitely (if true) something her coach does need to address.

just so it's clear, she shouldnt of been slapped/hit.

14. Dead_pool

it doesnt sound like loosing was the issue, the issue seemed more about preparation and being professional. which the coach them ruined by being unprofessional and emotional.

15. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm pretty sure I'll never be able to physically punish my kids. Spanking would be crossing some wires that are not meant to be crossed. I don't think the rise of different social issues are related to the decline in corporal punishment.

16. Dead_pool

before kids can rationalise they need to know not to do dangerous things, theres a place for light physical correction, but its overused by the stupid and the lazy which imacts on us all when their kids become adults.

17. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

What are you on about? Correlation equals causation. Who taught you how to science brah?

I think spanking only works up to a certain degree honestly. I caught a spanking or whipping with a belt, or hit with a wooden spoon from the kitchen quite often growing up. After a while you don't even fear it. When I was probably 11-12 I started acting like it hurt really bad so they would finish sooner, by 13 I just kind of had this face while it was happening: :rolleyes: and it stopped soon after. :p

I'm not a parent or anything, but I can think of quite a few different ways to punish somebody to get your point across that doesn't involve physical contact. I mean hell, if you restricted me from the internet until I called you master of the universe and did your laundry for you and cleaned your room, it would probably take all of 1 hour before I gave in!

18. TiffanyAyala

TiffanyAyala New Member

I know that they are very strong. I think we all have to be equal to them! It's a good example for us. Also, when I see movies with them I feel it.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Random......

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

'Tis the season to send spam bots,
    fa la la la la
    la la la la

:D

axelb and Hannibal like this.