Street Knock-outs and Street Fights

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Pretty In Pink, Jun 12, 2014.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

In any other sport, people watch highlights of the top of that sport.

In Football, people look to the Premiership teams, in basketball, it's NBA all the way. So why when it comes to fighting, do people find it more interesting to watch street fight videos than highlights of the world class elite.

Is it because the two aren't the same thing? They are different in rules I suppose.

I see it a lot mostly in the 15-25 year old demographic on a personal level.

2. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I imagine those people would be the "just bleed" category of fans. They aren't watching to see wonderful displays of athletic martial prowess, they just want some violence which street fights provide better than mma or boxing.

I'm a big mma fan but I still find a different sort of interest in watching street fights once in the blue moon. Its a different beast. For me its the difference between watching trained athletes compete and witnessing displays of social violence but for others I doubt its that deep.

We are talking about the "dang son that boy got WHIPPED" type viewer I imagine?

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty much anything with "Wuuuuurl Staaaaaar!"

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I'm sure there are a whole variety of reasons for it, but the ones that come to mind most readily are
    1. Some people are voyeuristic. They want to watch something "real" and watch it happening or more importantly watch it being perpetrated by people like them. Elite MMA athletes are not like them.

2. That voyeurism extends to situation too. Videos in or outside clubs are environments they can relate to, a competitive match isn't.

3. Groundwork is boring to watch and people who aren't "in the know" about it don't want to see it. It might win matches, it might set up wins, but people who don't do groundwork can take about 30 seconds of it before they're bored and want the guys to "fight properly."

4. People searching fight videos have a short attention span. It'd be interesting to see which videos of street fights get the most views. I bet there's a correlation between brevity and popularity.

The videos that JWT uses in self defence presentations are interesting in all sorts of ways, but they're not particularly "exciting," even in the genre of streetfight videos.

Mitch

5. Pretty In Pink

I like your point about length of the videos, I'm going to guess that the most viewed are between 00:30-01:45.

6. Mitch

I bet that's about right. The people surfing them want instant gratification.

Are you mainly thinking about things like CCTV footage of fights, or those backyard fight clubs or things like the Australian bullying video from a while ago where someone filmed a boy picking on someone at school, knowing there would be some kind of confrontation?

Mitch

7. Pretty In Pink

More often than not it's fights in the street in daylight, the high school fights are most popular. CCTV not so much. Perhaps because there's no audio and "drama"?

8. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I found the individuals who enjoy watching street fights are the same people who have grandiose fantasies of confrontation. Most of these individuals have never been in a fight but may have encountered aggression and like to imagine how the situation would have unfolded had they gotten physical. (Most likely not in their favor)

I'm not a fan of watching street knock out, I like watching amateur boxing and judo highlights. I find amateur fights more interesting because the athletes are still figuring out their rhythm and so are not afraid of trying new things. I find the fights less predictable and it fantastic seeing new fighters grow into their own style.

9. Pretty In Pink

Well the people who I see watch them a lot are young and get into fights themselves. Although certainly loads of people are who you describe as well I'm sure.

I hate watching them, just because I don't enjoy watching people getting hit when they're unconscious. I find it disturbing that people like that.

10. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

With "social media", I guess people can view more violence, or acts of more. All one can do is either accept it, or try and "tune it out"

Sometimes watching something violent, can really make one refrain from violence

It is like a psychological effect of surfeit. (When exposed to something of excess, the result could be to turn it away

11. Mitch

That makes sense given the likely age group of those watching, plus I'm sure you're right regarding the drama of the clip.

If it's high school fights though it's not really "street fights" in the normal sense, as they're often arranged during the day and enacted later I imagine? It's still a challenge match in an important sense.

Mitch

12. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Good question, I don't know why... it's not because most or all of them can actually fight. Look at them... with the exception of 1 or 2, they just windmill these punches and then feel like they can fight because it was on camera. Of course these days, you post that stuff on youtube or facebook and the cops will be looking and coming after you.

13. Remi Lessore

Remi Lessore Valued Member

I find them disturbing and do not like watching them.
    I do watch them because I want to teach realistic self-defence. And I suppose some morbid fascination. But I'm not proud of that aspect.

14. Saved_in_Blood

I can relate to that... but the worst part is the way some people are. In the world of MA's that most of us here and I think any half decent person with experience understands is that once a person shows they have had enough or is down.. don't be a little punk and kick him while he's down... let him get up at least if he wants to keep going. I'm not for this sort of thing, but I mean show a little class and not what you see in the movies about the "gang beatings" that these little punks actually think highly about themselves for.

I recently saw these girls arguing on a video that was "stupidly" posted on facebook and one girl had clearly beaten her up. So the defeated girl walked away, and then her fat, ugly girlfriend came along and started hitting her more. The girl was not defending herself, she wasn't throwing punches back.. nothing. I don't believe in hitting women (as my mother would have disowned me and my father would have busted my butt for it as a kid), but that was one girl I wanted to use one of my poor technique shin kicks on and hope that I just snapped her leg right down the middle and laugh while I listen to her screams of pain.

15. Southpaw535

With adrenaline I understand kicking people in the head and whatnot, and in some cases its a fair enough idea, but I don't get how people can carry on doing it when the opponent's clearly out cold or when they walk off and then run back to give them another punt. He's unconscious. Not like he'll remember the extra lesson you threw in

16. Saved_in_Blood

Unless I was attacked by a knife or my Wife or child was attacked... I'm not worried about kicking him while he's down. If the first is the case, I'd be to worried about being in a frenzy and what might I do... or not stop doing (assuming I'm not dead already that is).

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

People are nasty and full of unfulfilled hate but are scared of repercussions and getting hurt.
    Once they see that someone is no longer a threat all that hate comes out.

There are a few clips of people getting attacked that don't do anything until someone else knocks out their attacker and THEN they turn in Punchy McKickyaface. Because they are now safe to do so.

18. Saved_in_Blood

yeah... punks lol.

19. Saved_in_Blood

It's just ridiculous to me that they are not understanding that you hit someone in a situation like over a girl or guy or something else that should almost never be the case... is it worth going to prison? You'll find out what fighting is if you go there, because you'll likely be fighting much of the time you're in there.

20. Southpaw535

I suppose. I've always thought that if I'm fighting someone I don't much care what the reasons are. A fights a fight and the repurcussions are the same. To that point if I put.someone down and didn't think they'd stay there I imagine I would give them a kick. Although probably not in the head. Then again that'd probably depend how hard it was to.get to that point. Relative levels of threat and all that jazz.