Matvei's training log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by matveimediaarts, Apr 19, 2013.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

[​IMG]

2. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

~1.5 hours sword. Iaito technique, heavy emphasis on basics-improving draw and noto especially. Bokken games. Fun stuff. :D Shihan banged my thumb a bit, but nothing terrible. Already recovered.

This morn:
    deadlift
    1x3, 65 lb
    6x1 120 lb

front squat
    1x5 50 lb
    1x3 55 lb
    6x1 95 lbs

Push press
    1x5 50 lbs
    1x3 60
    6x1 90 ugh, form sucks at this weight. Had to drop down 10 for the last few reps. Will continue practicing.

pullups w straps
    7x5, 6. Improving quality.

Had some extra time, so played around a bit. Tricep dips/press, kettlebell swings, climbing shenannigans, practicing improving jump height, stuff like that.

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

You need to change the reps up man!

4. matveimediaarts

How so? If I add more reps now-particularly to pullups-I would sacrifice good form. :bang:

5. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

you've been hitting 6x1 for a few workouts now.
    instead of adding a load of reps, do what harry said, 3x2 or 4x2 and then after that try 3x3 or 4x3.

always try for more reps or add more weight to the bar - its the only way to gain strength.
    if you want you could always try 7x1 instead of 6x1 or even 5x1 and then do one more set but get as many reps as you in that last set.

6. matveimediaarts

Thanks for pointing that out! :) It's most likely a copypasta typo. :bang: I printed out Harry's plan and stick with it as best as possible.

My standard progression goes: M 6x1 W 5x2 F 3x3

7. matveimediaarts

Tonite-spent my practice time doing gadan chiburi and noto. Doesn't sound like much, but it's an art unto itself. :eek: :cool:

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Good consistency matvei, like Mascarenhas (much harder to type than your old name dude) said though the plan was to vary the reps but to maintain high quality reps. If you're struggling with a particular weight for the 6x1 workout, then either drop the weight a bit (5-10 lb) for the 5x2, then keep it the same or drop it again for the 3x3. OR drop the weight for all workouts by 10-20 lb and work back up again.
    Yes the AIM is to add weight, reps or both every time, but not at the expense of high quality reps. Think of it as practicing a skill, so sometimes if you get a bit stuck you might need to take another "run up". Doesn't have to be for all lifts, just the one(s) you get stuck on
    :D

9. belltoller

You do pullups everyday? I thought the conventional wisdom was to alternate days.

10. matveimediaarts

Nice! Now I don't feel so mediocre about being stuck at the same weight for push press and deadlift after all this time. :cool: As you'll see when I finish today's entry, I actually had to drop my deadlift weight because my back wasn't pleased with 120 lbs. :/

11. matveimediaarts

Just MWF. On Friday I also typically do plyo pullups and all sorts of madness. :D

12. matveimediaarts

Tonite-kobudo, 1.5 hours. Spent the whole evening on Taira bo basics and the kata-oddly called "kihon bo". That's a wild n' crazy kata! :O I wish I'd remembered my camcorder so's I could tape it. :/

13. belltoller

That the one where you explode off the bar - high enough to clap your hands, rinse and repeat?

:thinking:

I can do the ab wheel :p

:)mad:)

14. matveimediaarts

Close,but no. You're thinking of plyo pushups, it sems-in which one goes down to the ground and explodes upward high enough to clap hands. Plyo pullups involve jumping explosively up to the bar, grab it, pull up, drop down to the floor-repeat.

I think the ab wheel is a fun and quaint little game too. :)

15. matveimediaarts

1.5 hours ballet. Short adagio, allegro, grand allegro. FUN! :D

16. matveimediaarts

1 hour kobudo. Staff kata and sparring. Went to a graduation party at a local park. Spontaneous running/climbing/jumping with the kids on the playground equipment. :)

5/22

Last edited: May 24, 2015
  17. matveimediaarts

deadlift
    1x3, 65 lb
    3x3 100 lb (bad back day)

front squat
    1x5 50 lb
    1x3 55 lb
    3x3 95 lbs

Push press
    1x5 50 lbs
    1x3 60
    3x3 90 ugh, form sucks at this weight. Will continue practicing.

pullups w straps
    7x6, 1. Improving quality.

bonus shenannigans -
    Bench press 1x3 50 lbs 1x5 100 lbs
    plyo pushups 5x3
    dumbell squat 1x20, w/ 50 lbs dumbell
    alternating lunges x20
    alternating stepups x20
    60lbs dumbell swings x20
    kneeups @ dip station
    alternating cable bendover@ 40 lbs, x20

Some other stuff IDR.

18. belltoller

Obviously from a keyboard ab-roller :rolleyes: (;))

19. matveimediaarts

Certainly the most amusing smart alecky response I've gotten on MAP thus far. :) How does one ab roll on a keyboard, mate?

20. belltoller

I knew it! You've never rolled an ab in your life.

If you had; however, you'd know that its done via placing one's pinky upon the 'A' key whilst simultaneously holding one's index finger just above the 'B' key and performing something not unlike a hammer-on between two notes on a guitar string.

apercevoir...

abababababab .... ababababababab

:bow1: