DMA Check In

Discussion in 'Disabled Martial Artists' started by WhiteWizard, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Senjuro2

Senjuro2 New Member

Noobie introduction and history.

My name is Timothy R. I had a grand mal seizure in 05' which put me in a month-long coma during that coma, I had several strokes and many more seizures. Many of my muscles had atrophed, and this had left me with footdrop (no feeling in my feet) I use braces for it (much like forrestt gump's) I have not studied any martial arts so I don't know if this is the right place for me. What I am hoping to find here are some suggestions on where I could go and what I could study with my balance issues. I can walk fine, but can't stand very long because of my lack of muscles pretty much everywhere. I'm hoping I can find a place that will help strengthen me physically and to discipline myself. And responses will be much appreciated!! Thanks -Tim

2. yaba

yaba New Member

extreme bilateral carpal tunnel -destroyed knees - highly allergic to b.s.
    insomnia

& I'm a Biggot

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2012
  3. kungfugn00b

kungfugn00b New Member

Name: Damien Sons

Problem: Head Injury @ Age 2

Age Now: 24

When I was just in diapers, I was a very mischief baby. I would love to climb on every thing that I seen. Unfortunately one day, I did to much and I climbed on top of a grand father clock that was top heavy and it came crashing down hitting me right between my eyes dislocating my skull. I suffered paralysis on my left side due to the head injury. I had to learn how to walk all over again but as far as my left hand, the motor skills were just about completely gone. I still had good use of my arm but since I never used it, it was just there and all my life I've been doing every thing with my right hand. But just recently this year, I started to become more mature about my problem and I started doing research and I discovered a device that might help me gain use for my left hand. There was this guy that had a problem just like me, and they gave him a series of botox treatments because his hand/arm was so tight, he couldn't open it. The botox cured that and he was able to. Botox only last for a short awhile though, 4 to 5 months. During that time, you can only hope to gain use of your hand back by doing stimming every day and that's what I've been doing along with splinting and I think I have seen a difference since I've been @ it for about a month. I also started having seizures when I was 17 due to the accident and still have them but I'm hoping they just go away one day.

When I was 17, I was interested in taking kung fu classes but apparently I just didn't have the drive to do it, but now I'm ready more then ever and I think it would be perfect for me because of my disability and I would love the discipline.

4. Hobart

Hobart New Member

Interesting!

Disabled Martial Arts aye? Now here is a philosophy that intrigues me.
    My name is Hobart, simply put.
    I was born with Retina Blastoma, a rare ad generally fatal cancer of the eyes.
    An experimental (at the time) surgery and radiation treatment saved my life as a baby. As a result, my left eye is prosthetic, I.A. it's made of plastic, so needless to say there is no sight in it, it's fake... And my right eye sees 2400/100 on a vision scale. That's the lowest that a vision scale can measure, for those of you who don't know.
    I practice Oppgijutsu, at 4th degree black belt, Hapkido, at 8th gup yellow belt, and TaeKwonDo at White Belt (just started today actually :p)
    This "disabled martial arts" thing is pretty cool. I'm not in to "pitty the disabled folks" stuff, been around that crap my entire life, however, people with disabilities overcoming and doing something with themselves is amazing. I've done it, you all have done it, and by goodness keep on doing it!
    It's really very sad, the numbers of people who could overcome and achieve and don't out of self-pity or self-doubt.
    A disability is only an obstacle, and with enough will-power and support, any obstacle can be overcome.
    Stay strong, stay true, and stay after the dream friends!!

5. greytowhite

greytowhite Valued Member

I had a minor stroke almost 5 years ago. The left side of my body atrophied rather quickly and I have thoracic C curve scoliosis because the right side compensated. I also have degenerative disc disease in the lumbar region. Both my knees are shot, the right one in a bowling accident and the left just gave out randomly. Both of my shoulders regularly subluxate and I have to pop them back into position regularly.

It's a rather painful existence but I find that Chen taiji's chansigong as well as zhan zhuang exercises are very helpful in relaxing areas and neurologically "unlocking" certain other areas. Feldenkrais practice is another great tool that has helped me tremendously. Lately I've been focusing on Northern Shaolin style jibengong to build leg strength and flexibility.

6. marinevet63031

marinevet63031 Hapkido/Koryo Gumdo/TKD

Matt

Styles
    Yudo, Gumdo, Tae Kwon Do

Knees, Back, ankle - Combat injuries from US Marine Corps Service.Degenerative Joint Disease, Traumatic Brain Injury, Concussions, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Wear braces on both knees and right ankle. I participate in
    Power Wheel Chair Soccer
    Wheel Chair Fencing

I am working avidly to build and teach a disabled Tae Kwon Do program.

7. killer_pigeon

killer_pigeon New Member

Osu!

Massive respect to you all: you are an inspiration.

I don't consider myself disabled and my condition doesn't affect my training in any way. I have Aspergers. My coach knows about it and it's not a big deal. It can be funny sometimes though. The coach sometimes jokes about beating us up if we screw up techniques and one time he asked me to pass him a chair so he could hit someone over the head with it. I grabbed hold of the chair and was about to pass it to him when I realised he was only joking! lol

8. God'sGift

God'sGift Valued Member

Sort of a newbie here since I only just recently became "disabled". Just wanted to pop in to say hi and introduce myself, though:

I currently study "Hybrid Kickboxing" and in the past have studied under taekwondo and judo. Good to meet you all. :)

9. Cen Garsden

Cen Garsden Flamin' Wobbygong

I am a diagnosed schizophrenic and quite open about it. "It's a freaking horrible awful thing" would be what I would usually say anywhere but here. All my major MA teachers have been aware of the diagnosis, and none of them have said it affects my training. Mind you, I never train while having an episode, *giggles*.

10. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Hi,
    My name is Jared.
    I enjoy Karate and striking arts.
    I have Knee problems. 5 years ago I was having a lot of knee pain in the left leg and had a large bulge in the knee. I went to the doctor and it turned out I had a rare golf ball sized bone tumor directly on the end of my femur bone. It had already ruined part of the knee joint and ligaments. I had surgery to repair the issue. They shaved off the end of the femur bone and tumor and patched up the knee joint as best they could. I have recovered pretty well and no longer have a limp, but still have some pain issues, and the stability isn't great. I plan on getting back into training again soon but I will have to find something that doesn't require too much kicking or deep stances.

11. viccles

viccles Valued Member

Hi my name is Vic. I enjoy karate and have been training for the last 7 months after a 10 year break. I had my large bowel removed in 2014, redo rectopexy at the end of 2015. Doesn't really affect me too much other than a few extra bathroom trips and weak abdominals but I am working on that! Also had a major ankle operation in 2012 which I didn't have a lot of rehab on so am working on that too. Refuse to let injuries/illness get in the way!

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  12. Cen Garsden

Here's an interesting thing.

Like I said, I'm a diagnosed schizophrenic. When I studied directly under Saburo Takayasu Shihan (which I did for four years) he told me an interesting thing about his perception of "mental illness" as we say in the West. Sensei practiced a form of "adjustment" resembling chiropractic or osteopathic techniques, and told me "mental" health problems (often) originate in the spine. This makes perfect sense to me, as the central nervous system is the "core" of the human body. Here; consider the Japanese word hara ("guts") and its role in Budo, and also the expression "gut feeling". Another fact is I have a somewhat rare mutation, a T13 vertebra with two (small) extra ribs, and compacted lower lumbar vertebrae. This leads to occasional paralysis and nervous pain from slipped disks. Just FYI.

13. Rataca100

Rataca100 Banned Banned

It is the continous research to find out if its genetics or behavioral and what effects what. :D

14. chatter box

chatter box Member

15. chatter box

chatter box Member

I am glad that this works for you,i am a qualified psychiatric nurse,i have spent over 18 years working in a mental health hospital ,you will meet many people in this life with a cure,or offers of help,the spinal cord is linked from your spine to your brain,if you have been diagnosed with schizophrenia,-you really must take advice from professionals,the injections and tablets on offer nowadays help keep people stable,enough to lead a good life in a nornal envrioment without having to be institutionalized.many alternatives may help,but modern medicine is also an option,kind regards.i am dealing with the brain and mental health aspects here,rather than the physical like a slipped disk.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    hewho, Simon and Dead_pool like this.
  16. Cen Garsden

Hello.

Firstly, thanks for the reply. I'm of a somewhat "activist" mindset regarding mental illness, and welcome any kind of discussion as it's often rare to the point of taboo.

I regard Sensei's opinion as just that, another opinion, albeit one from a respected teacher of what would be called "alternative therapy" in the West. I've been dealing with my diagnosis for over 30 years, including multiple hospitalisations and more prescription drugs than I care to mention. Even ECT was involved, that's still legal here. There's been considerable advances in the medications and research yes, such as the discovery of the c4 gene etc. However, just as my last psychiatrist told me, I have a right to not take medication if I can control my symptoms, which I indeed can. I only take meds if I need them. I'm advanced at meditation, train with a psychiatrist myself, and have love and support from family and friends. This said I find the social stigma far more of a health risk than the disease itself, as I'm "public" or "self-ousted" about a condition few neuro-typicals understand. I prefer a balanced approach of respecting western medicine (even with its slavish devotion to the whims of big-pharma) while exploring the myriad approaches of other cultures to the mind. Since I'm not entirely "western" myself in a cultural and genetic sense this indeed "works for me" as you put it.

Cheers.

C

chatter box likes this.
  17. Jason Brinn

Jason Brinn New Member

Hello,

I am a Disabled Veteran, but that issue does not really affect my training. However, the C4-C5 fusion I had back in 09 definitely does!

18. Tai Chi Girl

Tai Chi Girl New Member

19. IronMaiden1991

IronMaiden1991 Active Member

Name
    Roxy

Style
    Goju Ryu

About Me
    Dyspraxic, so a bit clumsy and prone to anxiety/depression. I do suffer sciatica due to a slipped disc but its quite controlled.

20. hewho

hewho Valued Member

Also on team dyspraxic! Great to have you on board! :)

IronMaiden1991 likes this.