Ever had to explain the rules of rolling to anyone?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Pretty In Pink, Feb 27, 2017.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I can't really recall ever meeting a new person in BJJ and having to explain the rules, sAve for pergaps my dad. Just thought it was odd. Certainly when I've attended judo and wrestling the rules come up quite a bit. Not in BJJ, other than reaping the leg I've never explained any particular rules to anyone. Im sure boxing and muay thai would be the same? Sort of struggling to think of other arts.

Have you guys ever had to tell new student s the rules of sparring?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Shouldn't the instructor's/ coaches be doing that? Like, in their first session/ lesson?

3. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I am a relatively new student to both BJJ & Muay Thai.
    I was never told the rules for BJJ--I asked about a few things but no one volunteered any rules. (E.g., the other day my opponent's foot got completely caught in my gi and we didn't know what to do as we were both white belts, so we just kept rolling. I asked the instructor afterwards and he said to just stop & reset--I asked what they do in competition and he said the same.)

For Muay Thai I haven't learned much about the actual competition rules/scoring (I think I asked one question about scoring when we were drilling something, and was told not to worry about it at this point), but the coach did go over sparring safely/sparring rules before I started sparring.

4. Pretty In Pink

Yeah, but I've never heard him have to do it or a beginner ask. We go over a few safety things and that's it.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Slamming and leg reaps. Instructor covers the simple ones like no heel hooks but I don't remember seeing people ever get sat down and the rules fully gone over. BJJ's rules as far as what you can and can't do by and large are common sense

6. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

There are rules to sparring? :eek:

J/K. A few safety things (tap early and often, no knee bars), but that was it.

Near a tournament, however, the tournament rules were reviewed often (4 points for this, 3 points for that, etc), and sparring was done according to the tournament rules, to practice "winning." I guess effectively that covered everything for regular sparring the other times of the year.

7. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I've only just started getting into BJJ (Gi, and loving it), and had a quick sit down on comp rules regarding attire (wrist to sleeve distance, gap etc) which I didn't actually know it was that strict.
    The "prohibited" submissions at certain belt levels, I already knew just from being exposed to the sport and trawling through the MAP forums.

And are slams based on each comp as to what constitutes as a slam? I've seen someone in guard get lifted barely 2inches off and it was called a slam.

I was rolling with a team mate, who I rolled loads of times in Catch and was comfortable doing leg locks and stuff. Anyone else, I probably wouldn't.

Sometimes during a flow/move, the Coach will say "its legal here but not in...etc"

8. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

My understanding and what I've seen at comps is its literally any kind of lift. Trying to stand out of submissions and lifting someone with you I've seen go either way but like 70-30 its ruled a slam if the person can't keep holding them up. Its an incredibly strict rule

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  9. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Thanks!!

But Judo like throws are OK? Someone in class may or may not have pulled out a German Suplex....asking for a friend
    :whistle:

10. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

of course throws are ok, and other throws, because you're trying to get someone that's not in your guard--standing up--down. it's different when someone pulls guard on you and you were to just slam that person down; or, if someone has you in a triangle and you stand up and slam that person down.

sure, maybe on t3h str33t that's acceptable.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

You can suplex in one clear motion in comp, but you cant raise them artificially to add more power.

Also comp rules are for obviously comps, in house rolling is always a bit different.

I try to use wrestling takedowns in wrestling/takedown practise, and wrestling scrambles and bjj in rolling.

Using wrestling takedowns in normal rolling is normally a waste of time if the session isnt geared to that, and dangerous if its busy.

My own personal dislike is whitebelts knee wrestling, its a massive waste of time with almost no carry over.

12. Morik

Just to make sure I understand you (I'm a white belt!), by "knee wrestling" what do you mean?
    At my BJJ gym we start off on our knees for most rolling sessions... do you mean when people just stay there and don't get any take downs?
    (Edit: That is actually not true, a lot of the blue belts+ start rolling out of butterfly instead of on their knees... but me & the other white belts typically start on our knees.)

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  13. Pretty In Pink

Yeah that's what he means. Better to start in a position. There are a few legit things you can do in a knee wrestling position though. Stephen Keston has a great video about it.

14. Morik

So I rarely remain on my knees for long... vs someone else on their knees we generally get some grips and one of us ends up screwing up our balance and gets taken down.
    Vs someone starting out of butterfly I've slowly been figuring out some strategy and right now am experimenting with grabbing the down leg's ankle and trying to pass to side control (which basically never works, but gets me into their guard with them mostly stacked already, giving me another shot at a pass).
    Prior attempts such as going for grips & pressure to their torso ended up with me getting wrapped up real quick...

Would I learn more by starting from butterfly (for instance) instead?

15. Dead_pool

Try this,
    1) both start kneeling, you get grips and sit back to butterfly
    2) both start kneeling, you get your grips, put your feet on their hips and go to open guard.
    3) both start kneeling, don't get grips, sit back to an open butterfly guard.

Knee wrestling doesnt happen in comp, and is a massive waste of your time.

16. Dead_pool

Yes! try to spend at least half your time playing guard, itl help your passing game too!
    Remember, no guard no bluebelt!

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
  17. Dead_pool

I use SK ones, and a few other so I can force bottom game on people who insist on knee wrestling.

My favourite is to stand up and uchi matte them from combat base.