Hello from London

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Kishi, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

Hi all!

I'm an MA nerd from London, though I spend more time reading about them than practising.

I've been training in WTF Taekwondo for 7 years on and off, mostly off nowadays due to exams and studies. I'm hoping to get back into it soon.

In the future I'd like to start training in other martial arts. My uni has a Kung Fu club (Shaolin Nam Pai Chuan Kung Fu), so I'll hopefully try that out. Although unfortunately (but understandably), there are no clubs for swordsmanship or related. I may look into some in the area, there's bound to be one in London right?

As for what MA exactly, I'm not sure yet. I'm mostly looking into Japanese MA as that is what holds my interest the most. Although, I'm not too fond of kendo. I'm leaning towards iaido at the moment.

I'm babbling too much so I'll stop there.

Thanks for reading! :p

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

3. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

There are Dojo that cover sword in your general area. :)

Why are you interested in sword?

4. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

Thank you!

I will definitely take a look.

I guess it's more of a thing that stuck to me since childhood. Most likely influenced by cartoons and the like. But my interest became incurable once I started reading about the history of various katanas and their wielders. I guess I got addicted :rolleyes:

5. Dean Winchester

6. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Welcome to MAP!

7. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Welcome to MAP!

Cheers

Dan

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Hello and welcome

Which uni?

9. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

Cheers guys!

Brunel University London

10. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

11. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Welcome.

Ah Brunel, Uxbridge side. I do remember a Kendo club near there years ago. I know you said you had no interest but its a step I guess.

Good luck

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's worth remembering that most of the university clubs will accept members from other universities or the general public, so you don't have to limit your search to the clubs which operate out of your own union. As long as you're able to travel, you can access a huge range of arts across the entire city without too much trouble.

13. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

Ah yes, I am pretty much able to travel across the city as long as I can walk to the club from a tube station so it's not much of a problem. I've never considered looking at other uni's clubs, I'll keep that in mind from now on, thank you! I do have friends in Imperial's Kendo club so that's a start.

14. Dean Winchester

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

As they say on the continent, bonjourno and wilkommen, amigo!

16. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Welcome to MAP! According to your join date you've around this forum for a while. Glad to have ya say "'ello"!

17. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

I've actually found this before and found a couple possible dojos that I could go to. Thanks anyway.

Some of their websites are so hard to navigate though.

Thank you!

Yes, I did have a previous account but I made a new one recently. The mod kindly merged both accounts for me. :D

18. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

Thought I'd just update everyone that I'll be starting Battodo soon instead of Iaido at http://www.battodo-fudokan.co.uk/
    I was just in time to join their beginner course.
    Thanks everyone for the help!

19. Dean Winchester

Well good luck with it.

If you are still interested in the older styles, as opposed to a modern one like Nakamura Ryu , then there are dojo out there if you dig a bit. :)

Have fun and watch your fingers. :D

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  20. Kishi

Kishi Valued Member

I've done a bit of reading and I think Nakamura Ryu is more my style.
    I'll still hopefully get to try out older styles though but maybe when I graduate from uni. :p
    Thank you! :D