Ranks

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Prizewriter, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Ok I know it's the journey not the destination etc.... but after being a start/stop white belt over the last number of years (injuries, post-grad while working, life etc...) I'm finally getting some stripes this weekend as we have a Robson Moura black belt coming over.

Just for fun, what rank do people have in BJJ? Are you happy where you are at (I'm a pretty content white belt I have to say)?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Im a few stripes into purple, and content to stay the same for a few years, injury has meant I havnt competed at my current grade yet, and I'd like to change that before any grading come.

I'd much rather be a undergraded whitebelt then a terrible bluebelt.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

How many of you feel competing is a necessary requirement for promotion?

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I think competing is very good for your own development, it also helps shape a realistic approach to your own abilities.
    I dont think its necessary for everyone, but those who can, should, even if only a few times per belt.

edit - although I was talking about all styles of comp, definitely at least some gi.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  5. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Blue belt two stripes, confident I'll have more before the year is out. Fairly happy with where I am, but I'm always looking to improve and get better.

I don't enjoy competing in the gi that much, but I think I should make myself do it to get out of my comfort zone. Our school has absolutely no emphasis on competing to grade.

6. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

I haven't done it yet but will at some point. It is a factor at our club, but I think that is because we are a small fish in a ever increasing pond. So doing well in comps makes the club look better and gets our name out there, which gets more students... basically competing is viewed as a way of giving something back to the club, if that makes sense?

One of my friends from the club has competed quite a bit but said he doesn't get much out of it. He said he learns more helping less experienced people in the class out.

It's not always true that people who win loads of medals get promoted quicker anyway. Sandbagging is rife from what I have seen :rolleyes: If you are good at a certain level and are winning gold medals all the time, some coaches try and milk that for all it's worth.

7. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Are there any BJJ black belts on MAP??

8. rabid_wombat

rabid_wombat Valued Member

Blue belt here, since October of last year. I'm pretty happy where I'm at, I really stopped being worried about ranking in martial arts a long time ago. Though, it is nice to have the acknowledgment of an increase in skill. However, I honestly just enjoy it so much, that rank is irrelevant. Although, I wouldn't mind teaching at some point in the future. Competition isn't required to rank up at the gym I attend, but we don't discourage our teammates from pursing it, and even those that don't want to still go to cheer our competitors on. We're very open to having people from other gyms visit for open mats, as long as there is no meat-head mentality present.

9. ToddSchweinhart

ToddSchweinhart Valued Member

Prizewriter,

I still consider myself a student on the path but I do have a BJJ blackbelt under Luiz Palhares.

Anything in particular you are looking for?

Best,

Todd Schweinhart

10. Prizewriter

Prizewriter Moved on

Not specific, just wondering how people who have been doing the art a long time manage the life/BJJ balance, how they manage injuries etc.... Those are other threads though! Was more curiosity at this stage.

11. ToddSchweinhart

ToddSchweinhart Valued Member

To be honest, most martial arts training will have injuries over time....but many of those can be avoided by losing the ego. When you get caught with something...tap and try to use technique and not strength all the time even at the chance of losing. If you muscle out of something here and there you will find yourself doing it more and more. I think this also goes back to ego. Train for the long run and train smart and there really shouldn't be many injuries. Most of my injuries either came from me or someone else doing something dumb....usually a newer person as well. Like you said, if you are in it for the long haul it is best to avoid injuries as they only keep you out of training when they occur and they tend to catch up with you later as well.

As for balance, if you want to do it...you will find a way. I don't usually show sympathy for people that give "excuses" for not training. We all have careers, family and other responsibilities but that life balance is what enables one to "make things happen". Some Japanese martial artists say the order is: Family, Career and then budo.

Best,
    Todd Schweinhart

12. greg1075

greg1075 Valued Member

Whitey. I had some basic knowledge learned in JJJ when I started BJJ and as such had a big of a headstart. Was told by one of the instructors that I "could have" tested for blue earlier this year but that I be in the next grading session this fall and it's fine by me because:

^This. Sure it feels good to get promoted but you'd rather the guy people say he's good for a wb rather than wondering how on earth you earned your blue. Just takes time. And in the interim, it's all fun (well beside the various aches and injuries), so what's not to like?

13. etali

etali New Member

I got my blue belt in January of this year. I would have been happy to stay at white for longer because my competition record wasn't great, but I can hold my own in the gym so I guess I was "ready" - I'll have plenty of time to try to improve my record at blue.

I'm probably not even going to get a stripe this year though - I dislocated my shoulder and while I am going in to drill, I can't roll so I feel like I'm going backwards skills-wise. It'll take a while to recover from that even once I get the strength back.

14. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Blue Belt since 2013.... I just train to learn, wouldn't care if I was promoted to polka dot belt personally. My place is sweating on the mats, helping my teammates and coaching the beginner's group. I'm battered and bruised from injuries in a variety of combat sports of which I have participated for over two decades, so no idea what the future holds.

If I can roll tomorrow I will, if I cant i'll coach. Either way, i'll be on OTM with my team.

Everything else is up to my instructor.

15. slideyfoot

slideyfoot Co-Founder of Artemis BJJ

I've been a purple since 2011. I don't compete, so I'm not all that interested in my individual rank. The only reason I'd have any interest in promotion is because I run a small club, so being a higher rank is handy for that. I'm in no rush though, so whenever my instructor thinks I'm ready.