Psychology of aggression

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by yinyang87, Apr 25, 2015.

1. yinyang87

yinyang87 New Member

Hi guys, does anyone know of any good books (or articles) on the mindset / psychology of aggression in a fight, ie how to remain focused without letting an opponents aggression put you off and how to channel your aggression into a fight while remaining focussed etc. Basically looking for a good book on the psychology of aggression and the fighting mentality.

Cheers..

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

As a basic starter you can begin with The Art of Fighting Without Fighting, by Geoff Thompson.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

"On killing" and "On combat" are both good sources too

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

For sport or warfare?

5. yinyang87

yinyang87 New Member

Thanks your replies I will check the books out! And Fu
    sen, technically speaking both, but what I mainly mean is in a street fight / self defence situation in real life

6. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

I would stick to the suggestion that Simon gave you primarily (I can't comment on Hannibal's suggestions as I haven't read them, but Hannibal is a trustworthy source on MAP so you most likely won't go far wrong). There's an excellent book called "Verbal Judo" as well that is well worth a read. You tend to find the vast majority of self defence situations are actually more about awareness, verbal cues, body language and so forth than actual fighting.

7. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

For SD the gift of fear is excellent although its not really geared towards winning bar fights.

Rory millers books are also excellent.

8. yinyang87

yinyang87 New Member

Thanks guys

9. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Lao Tzu "Art of War" is also a good one!

10. Indie12

Indie12 Valued Member

Or my personal favorite.

"Living The Martial Way"
    By Forest Morgan..

11. Mad Dog

Mad Dog Banned Banned

Perhaps I should finally get around to penning my life story, as many of my friends and colleagues have asked. It would be a rousing tale exploring the dark depths of man's soul and the violence he perpetrates for little to no reason.

When you've seen and done the things I have, you find aggression has become a part of you almost as though it flows in your blood and becomes as intimate to you as a lover's caress.

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Who is that trip-tripping on my bridge?

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

That was Sun Tzu (aka Sunzi)

Lao Tzu (aka Laozi) is credited with writing the Tao te Ching

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  14. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Make sure you file it under Fiction.

15. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Sloth and Fusen, do you not find Miller and Verbal Judo spend too much time selling you a book you've already bought? I found it really off putting with both.

16. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

How does this fit into you being a competent security professional? or are you a bouncer in the same way as the drunk thug at the end of the bar who'll dish out a beating to any patron he feels has stepped out of line?

17. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Seriously?

C'mon, you read that line in a comic, didn't you? :D

Mitch

18. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

I reccomend 'facing violence' and 'meditations on violence' by Rory Miller. Both are available on amazon in physical and digital formats.

Last edited: May 26, 2015