Sunfish's log

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Guitar Nado, Mar 21, 2014.

1. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Good for you sunfish! Keep it up.

2. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

So today I did Karate again.

There was a warm up with pushups, situps, jumping jacks, etc. Then some stretching.

Practiced punches (all these start off with a block from non-punching hand):
    step forward into seisan stance and punch with lead hand.
    same thing with rear hand (reverse punch)
    Double reverse punches - same as above, but retract hand and punch again

Then added kicks:
    Single front kicks
    reverse punch, reverse punch other side and then low front kick
    reverse punch, reverse punch other side, low front kick, punch with lead hand

Did all the above slow, fast into the air, and with a partner holding pads.

3. Guitar Nado

Tuesday - Did Muay Thai:

Jogged around room, high knees, back kicks, bear crawl, more jogging as a warm up.

Partnered up in groups of 3 and did three sets of:

Jumping rope 60 seconds, Pushups 60 seconds, Burpees 60 seconds

one person doing jumps while the other did pushups and the other did burpees - trading places to work through all 3 exercises.

Then we worked through 4 combos, which are as follows (all from left lead):

1) jab, right round kick
    2) jab, cross, switch - left round kick
    3) jab, cross, lead hook, right round kick
    4) jab, cross, lead hook, cross, left round kick

We had a person in the middle hold pads, and alternate facing the other two partners while we worked through the above combos.

Then did a drill where pad holder in the middle sets up for a round kick, which the other two partners fire off round kicks as fast as they can, one right after the other's kick for 90 seconds or so. Then switch doing it from other leg for another 90 seconds. This is one of those instances where pad holding is actually much harder than doing the actual striking - with 2 people alternating kicking like this.

Then we worked through the above 4 combos again, this time with the variation that combo 2 had 2 round kicks at the end, combo 3 had 3, etc.

Wednesday - more Muay thai:

Jogged around room, high knees, back kicks, bear crawl, more jogging as a warm up. Shadow boxed with just hands, hands and covers, bobs and weaves, constant punching. Then worked though the same 4 combos from Tuesday solo a few times.

partnered up, and did a series of sets, each one for 20 seconds with 10 second rest in between:

continuous jab/cross for 20 sec. X 2
    continuous round kick, switch round kick X 2

The same combos from Tuesday, 1 X each:

1) jab, right round kick

Then we practice the above combos in pad holders choice order for a while, with defending against various combos they threw

Then did a block of 100 jab/cross punches, and 25 round kicks on each leg

Then another set of working though the above 4 combos.

Then another block of 100 jab/cross punches, and 25 fast push kicks (teep) from lead leg, switching stances so we did both legs.

Then did some stretching.

4. Guitar Nado

Muay Thai this morning:

Jogged around the room as a warmup for a few minutes.
    sets of 20 seconds handstand against a wall then 20 seconds squats X 8
    I am crappy at handstands - I had to walk my legs up the wall for all of these except one where I was able to "roll" and do a true handstand with my back towards the wall. Also, somehow made my left hand slightly numb doing them.

Partnered up, did 50 punches, 20 round kicks each leg as a further warm up.

Then worked into the same topic as the past few days practice, these 4 combos, which are as follows (all from left lead):

1) jab, right round kick

We did a few 1-2 minute rounds of the above, with various variations, such as a single kick at the end, then next time 2 kicks, next time 3 kicks - then start back at one. We added in pad holder throwing in random strikes to defend against as well.

Then concentrated on pushkick/round kick combos. Front leg push, rear leg round. Rear leg push - plant it in front, then (now) rear leg round.

Then we did a 3 minute round combining all the above, with our instructor calling out at intervals for us to do sets of punches and round kicks.

Then did some stretching.

My hand was still numb afterwards and I was worried as I had a short outdoor gig with my band today, but it didn't seem to bother me - and playing guitar made the numbness go away i guess.

5. Guitar Nado

On Monday I did Karate for about 1 hr 45 minutes or so:

Did joggin, high knees, side to side, pushups, jumping jacks, etc. as a warm up for 10 minutes or so. Then did some stretching.

Then went over some things, a lot of it new to me. I had to look up the Japanese names.

hand techniques:

RFF-RH Straight punch
    Chudon Oi-Tsuki
    RFF-RH Straight Uppercut
    Jodan Oi-Tsuki
    LFF-RH Straight Punch
    Chudan Oi-Tsuki
    LFF-RH Straight Uppercut
    Jodan Oi-Tsuki
    RFB-LH Down block - RH Reverse Punch
    Gedanbarai Chudan-Tsuki
    RFB-LH Side Block - RH Reverse Punch
    Chudan-Uke Chudan-Tsuki

kicks:

Heel Thrust Kick
    Mae-Geri Kekomi

Front Snap Kick
    Mae-Geri Keage

Went over a side kick with blade of foot to the side, and one to the front at a 45 degree angle.

Karate is pretty different from what I am used to.

Tuesday - Muay Thai:

Jogged a bit as a warm up. Did a couple 1 min sets of jumping rope and squats.

Got in groups of 4 and took turns in a clockwise fashion doing roundkicks and push kicks on a wavemaster for a few minutes.

Then teamed up with a partner and worked these same combos as in previous days:

1) jab, right round kick

also doing all the above with the last kick on the opposite side instead - jab, left round kick, etc.

Did a set of the above, then 25 round kicks each side.

The did above combos, this time with defenses as pad holder attacks at random times, and also throwing in some pushkicks and other stuff as the pad holder calls.

Another 25 round kicks per side.

The above combos again, this time from right lead.

Now did a ladder drill with 2 round kicks right side, 4 punches, 2 roundkicks left side, 4 punchs - increasing the amount of kicks by one each time. Thsi for a few minutes.

then switched pad holders.

Did short tabata type drill:

20 sec crunches, 10 sec rest, 20 sec situps, 10 sec rest - X 4

Wensday - did Karate:

Worked these hand techniques again:

RFF-RH Straight punch
    Chudon Oi-Tsuki
    RFF-RH Straight Uppercut
    Jodan Oi-Tsuki
    LFF-RH Straight Punch
    Chudan Oi-Tsuki
    LFF-RH Straight Uppercut
    Jodan Oi-Tsuki
    RFB-LH Down block - RH Reverse Punch
    Gedanbarai Chudan-Tsuki

I have a lot of trouble with the Seisan stance used for all the above. Not sure if it is being used to the stuff I do in Muay Thai, but it is hard to go into a stance with both feet pointing straight forward. So they had me practice it a lot.

Then we did a bit of practice of this:
    Tegata Barai; Nukite Open Hand Middle Body Sweeping Block; Spear Hand

and then practiced it from a self defense perspective, with the block being a grab, the spear hand going to the throat, and following up with multiple strikes of our choice. Also we practiced this block moving to the outside, and going in to a standing arm bar.

Then did approx 60 situps and pushups of various types.

6. belltoller

Yer gettin' some work done, aint ya there Sunny-Jim? So you're doing Karate twice a week and MT twice (I'm assuming you go on Thursday's, as well)?

That's a killer...Muay Thai is usually enough to max-out most people's bottle, though the young 'n serious comp types will do some form of grappling/jits on top.

Having any issues with all that?

7. Guitar Nado

I have some aches and pains for sure. My feet hurt from plantar faciitis (and heel spur too, I guess) more than anything else.

My plan is to get 4 days of training in each week, might vary a bit which things I am doing which days - we will see. Lots of things I want to do, maybe including some grappling. Of course I want to pick up some more FMA at some point soon too.

If I try to do too many things at once I am just crappy at several things rather than slightly less crappy at one thing. But it seems I always end up doing at least 2 arts at once, so I guess that is what keeps me entertained and motivated. So I'm motivated, but crappy, hehe.

8. Guitar Nado

So this morning, did Muay Thai:

warmup by jogging around the room, pausing to do pushups and squats.

Got in groups of 3 with a wavemaster - did pushkicks off front leg as fast as we could for 90 seconds, then switched lead and repeated. Then alternated doing round kicks in a clockwise order in our group. Then switch leg round kicks. Then we worked these combos:

1) cross, roundkick
    2) cross, hook, roundkick
    3) Cross, hook, cross, roundkick
    4) cross, hook, cross, hook, roundkick

These seem a bit weird starting with the cross, but that is on purpose, because then we do them with a push kick as the first move.

Then we paired up and did:

Jab Cross combo non stop for 1 min
    Knee strikes from clinch for 1 min

these combos for a few minutes:

1) cross, roundkick
    2) cross, hook, roundkick
    3) Cross, hook, cross, roundkick
    4) cross, hook, cross, hook, roundkick

Round kicks on one side for 1 minute
    on other side for 1 minute

Then these combos:

1) Pushkick, cross, roundkick
    2) Pushkick, cross, hook, roundkick
    3) Pushkick, Cross, hook, cross, roundkick
    4) Pushkick, cross, hook, cross, hook, roundkick

jab/cross combo for 1 minute

Same combos as above with defenses against various upper body attacks added in.

Swtiched pad holders and went through all the above.

Then did 5 minutes of pushups. The way we did it is each partner does 5 while the other rests. This was pretty hard, but I was able to still be doing reasonable pushups at the end. When I try to do pushups at home, I will usually do 25 or so, then say "that's enough" and decide to watch TV. To some guys in my class, this exercise was nothing - they were doing pushups at the end of the 5 minutes like "when is the exercise going to start?"

Then we did some stretching.

For scheduling reasons, I have been going to more conditioning focused than sparring type focused classes in recent weeks. I need to vary this up a bit, and hit the other classes - so I'm going to try that next week.

9. belltoller

Yeah, tactically, it makes sense; who's expecting a cross without a setup to start? (though the pushkicks you were leading with later serve that purpose) It would be somewhat awkward - though not as awkward as a leading left hook with no setup.

Its good they're having you to do that. I'm so used to the cross following a jab coming home to guard, I doubt if I could lead with one.

Something for me to think about.

10. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Don't fret about that, mate. It just means you're at the beginning of your journey. I used to hate pushups too, but now I love them and do as many variations as I have time to. Best to you, and train hard-it's worth it in the end, I promise. :) (ETA: yoga mats for your hands helps the stress a lot-highly recommended and preferred over the hard floors of most gyms)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  11. Guitar Nado

I have been slack with the logging. But I have still been doing some training.

Did about 3 1/2 hrs Karate, 3 hrs Muay Thai, and 1 hr of BJJ in the past week. I felt pretty inadequate at all of these to be honest. But then I reminded myself that my main goals here are exercise, fun, and to learn new things - and I think I got a pretty good amount of all that!

12. Guitar Nado

So no Karate this week due to rec center closed due to holiday, and busy on other night. I practiced a little at home, but nothing substantial.

I did 3 sparring oriented classes of Muay Thai this week- some light sparring in one, and one class almost all sparring - where for variety we did 90 second rounds of different rulesets - Muay Thai, K1, American Kickboxing, boxing - with each class member. Good stuff, I can't remember all the rules now though. Tonight did a conditioning Muay Thai class that was about 80 minutes long. At the end it had 3 X of 2 minutes each - situps, pushups, squats, shadow boxing, padwork, with no breaks - this is a way to make 30 minutes seem like 2 hrs.

Also did BJJ one night. It was really fun for the most part. We did one segment where we started on our knees and did basically wrestling rules with no submissions - somehow I was a little better at this, I guess I remember some of the 4 yrs of high school wrestling I did centuries ago.

Outside of that segment I was my usual noob self. Had one scarey moment when I got arm barred and my other hand was jammed up somehow so I couldn't tap - so I basically just yelled. Also hip threw one partner who hurt their back when they landed and I felt pretty bad about that.

13. belltoller

You'd felt worse if you'd been the one that was thrown :evil:

That's a very all-encompassing programme you've there! I was gonna say you're getting a little bit of everything - but you're actually getting a lot of everything.

14. Guitar Nado

Yeah - you are probably right about that!

I think I am getting a little bit of a lot of stuff this way. Probably if I would focus on just one thing I'd get a lot better. My problem is I am interested in a lot of stuff- FMA, BJJ, Muay Thai, Karate, Kung Fu, etc. Reading MAP probably makes it worse, because I am always like "that seems cool!" to about 90% of the arts I see being discussed here. I am sort of envious of people that can pick one thing and stick to it, and do it hours and hours a week for years. But I am just not that way.