The Git's Coronary Bypass Bypass

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by belltoller, Nov 29, 2014.

1. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Looks like they put the Lyme in the coconut...

(David Caruso puts on glasses...)

"YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!"

Hope you get to feeling better 'Toller.

2. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Same to you, mate.

3. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Thanks, Van. Though, I've not had a case of the jack before - I'm sure your thoughts regarding its cure come by way of vast experience :p

4. belltoller

Newcastle Brown ain't what it used to be. Sorry to say, I lost my taste for drink years ago, anyroad. --->it'd just kill the buzz of the Starbucks.

Certainly. There's Ebola for the Yanks and for you and the rest of the lot of ya, that old chestnut - Feral feline originated epidemic rabies (anyone here old enough to remember that ?)

Truth being, things like tennis elbow joint inflammation have been far more troublesome as far as training and activity go - far more.

You are so right about that!!! I was happy for the trade off, to say the least. Nothing a regime of doxycycline couldna do for if its caught early enough. The tetanus was a worry as I'd not kept up the boosters, but lucky it turned out not to be. Very rare, as it turns out.

lol !

[​IMG]

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Look at everything I missed by not checking in often! :O Get well soon, man. ~hugs~

6. belltoller

Thanks, mate. Ja, I know what yer meaning by not checking in often. I see a number of our lads've had fights and competitions since I've been off - missed those - its a shame.

7. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Belltoller, just so you know- your in my thoughts and prayers. Wishing you the best. Keep us posted as you are able to.

8. belltoller

Thank you kindly, aaradia :)

EDIT: BTW, your avatar...is that you sinking a knee into that bloke's solar plexus, lol ?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  9. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

You say LOL, so I think you know the answer is no - not me! :D

I am 49, and although I work out a lot, I could eat better- meaning I need to lose some excess weight!

I am also notoriously camera shy. I don't know, I just think the Native American(?) belief that it captures part of your soul has some truth to it.

I have managed to avoid being in my school's video's/ images until the last couple of years. I have been asked to be in various group shoots they do and I always say "let people who enjoy being on camera do it." They caught me for a second or two in one video though.:( One they made for a seminar I attended. Out there on the interwebs and everything! Bleh!

The two in my avatar were instructors at my school in the past. I save images I like from my schools' website/ Facebook page etc. and like to use them as avatars.

10. belltoller

Ha - no, the 'lol' being .from looking at the fellow doing the chicken-wings. I wondered sometimes if you snuck a pose of yerself in there - I've done it on occasion - just to see if anyone'd catch on.
    No one noticed, tee-hee:p

49? Ahhh....yep; been there, done that. Not a bad age, really. Still has that youthful aurora about it. Something about ages that begin with '5', though - as a ring that don't quite tickle me right.

11. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

Not to worry, mate. Before you know it the 5 will be gone; you'll get a nice, shiny, new '6' instead. :p

12. matveimediaarts

Methinks y'all doth complain too much. Quit acting your ages! ;) :p

13. belltoller

You just had to say that, didn't you? :( ;)

It just occured to me that I recall - not too long ago, it seems - how tiresome it war to listen to Mamó, various aunties and later poor mum complain seemingly without end about their constant nagging aches and pains.

Oh no...no, no, no. It can't be!

I simply cannot let this happen.

Its TIME FOR THE JUICE!

[​IMG]
    "It's Radical!"

14. belltoller

17.04.15 - 23.04.15

Managed two jogging sessions this week - 1 1/4 mile Tuesday morn and 1 3/4 mile this (Thursday) morn. - time constraints being the limiting factor more 'n anything else.

Despite the quite painful elbow - what I assume to be a bad case of tennis elbow ( sorry, matveimediaarts, but I have to note whats ailing me on my log. But this is the last time I complain - promise. Now watch my leg fall out of its socket for sayin' that :eek: ) I had a very good session on the banana bag - surprised after such long layoffs of late that my cardio held up nicely.

Up to that point, the lateral epicondylitis had been painful but only limited things such as wt lifting, pullups, pitching baseball, etc. Now the 'bony precipice' is three times its normal size and I'm unable to straighten the arm out at all, despite NSAIDS, ice and inactivity.

Odd, it didn't bother me at'tall during the 10 rounds.

150lb Muay Thai Bag

10 rounds @ 2min/round with 30second rests between rounds.

First round single jabs and double jabs
    2nd - rapid punch out
    3rd - 1,1,1-2 (3 jabs followed by hard cross)
    Though my cross was still very good, I could tell the elbow was hampering both speed and power a bit.
    4th - rapid punch out
    5th through 10th - combos of jab, cross, left and right hooks alternating every other round with rapid punch outs. <---- :bow1: rather happy with myself for 5 two-minute rounds of rapid punching at ~ 70% power. The most I've ever done in boxing class is 2 three-minute sessions and they nearly did me.

Interestingly, the last time I attended boxing class - which was :thinking:- hmmm...anyroad - it was pointed out to me that I was making the apparently common error of taking too big a slice of the pie as far as hooks went. I was able to see immediately what he meant and my hooks are much better as a result of the correction - faster, easier; the awkwardness gone.

I find no falling back to old, inefficient ways when I box at home. The correct ways are so much easier and natural.

How long had I been doing them the other way? That's the thing of it - no book or video can teach you these simple, sometimes obvious but important little details - only another person with an experienced eye.

Other days saw crunches, situps, squats, various lunges - staircase, jumping, etc. Sadly I did not note how many of each. Its been the case of either I've time to do them or time to write them down but not both. Of course, logic dictates the former.

15. matveimediaarts

No worries, mate. You've got to listen to your body. I was just being encouraging and snarky at the same time. Cool trick, eh? :Angel::evil::)

16. belltoller

Oh, I know :) I live for snarkies. 50% of my posts have snark-bait attached, lol.

17. InkyTommy

InkyTommy Unique Like Everyone Else

Speaking of videos...have you thought of recording yourself training on the EmpTy (M.T.) bag? After reviewing the video, you might catch areas of improvement or common issues and correct them before some one else does.

18. belltoller

I've been wanting to put up mirrors down there, which I've heard really help - just haven't had the time to get 'round to it.

Don't have a proper vid cam at present and its hard to take a cellphone 'selfie' with boxing gloves on.

Things have been so tight time wise - I've a rather narrow window to exercise, hit the bags downstairs, etc. and that's when no one is here - ' xcept the dog - which means no mouths to feed, no homework that needs going over, no basketball games to take them to, no baseball practices to run - its all a spur of the moment kind of thing where you realise you might be free for 15 minutes or so.

There's a reason why I post at 2am, lol.

If someone's here to hold the cellphone cam, it means I'll be otherwise occupied.

Besides, I really don't think I'm gonna catch a whole lot by looking at vids of myself on the bags - now sparring would be a totally different ball game - but I've seen vids of people hitting the bags and ... yeah, okay...??... I suppose it the dynamics of boxing, sparring that creates the little strategists in all of us - the response of one combatant to anothers chess move - that prime the mind - I don't know, maybe if I watched as much videos of people hitting bags as I do boxing or mma bouts, it'd be different but, of the little I know, its come by way of someone pointing it out to me - and sometimes they have to point it out more than once :eek:

Nahh...I'm pretty certain I'd looked at meself doing those nearly square hay-makers all day and not have realised I was doing hooks inefficiently unless it war pointed out to me by someone.

I'd not caught it.

19. belltoller

One of my son's on a basketball team - and its a good thing for me that the rec centre's absolutely full due to tournaments going on and leaving him no where to practice when his team's not scheduled for a court, else I'd be sitting on my **** watching him practice instead of being on the outdoor court down near the middle school, providing cover to simulate shooting under pressure, etc.

Basketball - for those who don't know - its an excellent source of short duration high intensity cardio stimulation as well as requiring agility and reflex.

45min. Whew...unfortunately, ended with me forgetting about my elbow (had iced it and taken 400mg Ibuprophen prior) taking a jumping rainbow shot from distance and went to my knees in agony. Should've just stuck to guard...

Keep telling myself its just tennis elbow till Monday.

Otherwise, great workout!

20. belltoller

27.04 - 28.04

Basketball both evenings. Had a solid hour last evening. Just me and my son out till the sun went down on the outdoor school court. Had a lot of fun, we don't get a chance to do such as that together too often anymore. I felt a twinge of ... I don't know how to describe it ... just last year he couldna keep up with his da, now he can turn on a dime and can usually beat me to the goal for a layup.

Of course I'm proud as I've had to push a bit on that one to get him to work on his agility and reflexes and its beginning to pay off but there is this tiny sense of...the sun-setting...

Push it aside -

Today, both boys and I at the rec centre with its proper basketball gyms after his team finished off the local competition had about 40 min or so before they through us out.

Had to remember to shoot with my left hand only - takes some getting used to that - fact I think my arm to be well healed before I can manage more'n four points trying to shoot with my left.

Canna afford to pass up any high-intensity endeavors that come my way but Imma gonna havta come up with a little more formal game plan to keep myself from loosing any more stamina as I'm told it to be a month to 6 weeks before I can return to any routines that require both arms.

Most of the running, squats, ( save for the ab -wheel :p ) stay the same and I suppose I could just learn to punch one-armed ( I recall Canada's Adonis Stevenson having to box one handed after he injured one of his shoulders during a match ), dumbells work in one hand as well as two and I've always wanted to do one-armed press ups...

why not?