Impressive high kicks training on the dummy

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by kwtde, Aug 28, 2015.

1. kwtde

kwtde Valued Member

Hi Guys what do you think about it ?
    Curious to know your opinion.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5obmfepm2co"]Martial Arts Wooden Dummy High Kicks Sampler | Pietro Di Rauso - YouTube[/ame]

2. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Lame.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

You turn your back after kicking.

Take a look at the kick at 1.00. You kick, turn away and stop.

Maybe it's the fault of the immobile wooden dummy.

I would prefer to see you kick and remain aware, switched on and facing the opponent.

You could take the same drill onto the pads with a partner and have them come back at you during and after the technique.

Pad work with disruption it's generally called.

4. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

The mook yan jong is not a heavy bag. It it not meant to be whacked like you do with your hands. Add to that your hand/body structure is nonexistent. Then you use it for gimmicky high kicks.

Rarely have I been so thoroughly unimpressed.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  5. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I've never done any wing chun, but with what i remember my dad doing on his wooden dummy, coupled with vids i have seen of Yip Man, and more frequently, Donnie Yen playing Yip Man, i am under the distinct impression, bitchslapping the arms is rather removed from the point of the exercise.

6. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Dummy don't hit back (hides in the corner) I really feel high kicks are useless except in point scoring, I want to be balanced at all times, the little bit of Tai Chi was an original karate 4th Dan I think and he said no higher than waist and that was stretching it. He went from hard art to supposed soft art, after he launched me across the room I know Tai chis not soft, I just don't want to train with a load of old grannies, zumbas where it's at now, and yoga gotta go to a yoga class aye carumba tight buns

7. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Genuine question: what is it used and meant for?

8. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

"I let each man cut me once, before I kill him. Count the cuts and you will know how many Strong Bozza Bostik has slain" did you cut yourself shaving and ever beat yourself up :)

9. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYhwbvdO-pE"]Wing Chun Legends: Ip Man - Muk Yan Jong Form - YouTube[/ame]

Something like this i'd assume.

10. SWC Sifu Ben

Practicing proper structure, alignment, footwork, being able to kick the knee full force, practicing the form and it's components, and practicing power ejection from the stance through the arms into something which has resistance/spring.

11. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Yeah I'd practiced straight front kicks solely for ages, not high about chest height once I'd loosened up, at jkd we we doing attacked on ground, so did a leg/ knee leverage take down on first one then jumped up at second one who had a kickpad and launched him across the room , low straight front kick, we all have our favourite basics I think

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

The longer you stay here, the more you will realize to turn the sound off before you press play.

14. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Actual lolness activated

15. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I rapidly alternate between insight and cluelessness, but it's usually always a little funny, either of the lol or weird variety.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  16. SWC Sifu Ben

Yep and the basic power generation for everything on the dummy is exactly the same whether it's striking or redirection.

I do have a fondness for tan gerk though. There's nothing quite like booting someone hard with your heel.

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

My ignorance will be my downfall, tan gerk? Sounds like a northerners who forgot his suncream

18. SWC Sifu Ben

Tan gerk is a push kick with the heel as the striking surface and the toes facing outward at about 45 degrees. Unfortunately there aren't really translations for most of the wing chun terms.

19. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I'd love to do a bit of kung Fu if the jkd club fold but I think the two near me are rubbish from what I hear on the martial arts local grapevine

20. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I like to call it the Charlie Chaplin stomp.

Attached Files: