Just For Kicks - You Decide

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mitch, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Thought I'd post up what I'm getting up to here :)

I have no specific goals at the moment other than getting my running fitness back and losing some weight.

My half marathon left me with a dodgy knee unforunately, so that and the switch to some flatter trainers in an attempt to (maybe) eventually move to barefoot/minimum shoe running means that I need to build up slowly again.

My diet is generally pretty good, though my use of beer as a foodgroup turns out to have been misguided. I'm therefore going to cut out the booze a bit and try and ensure I get some regular fitness work outside training.

The other thing I have to be mindful of is that I'm 40something and not getting any younger. So whilst I'm not ready for the knackers yard just yet, this log will let me see how much I can improve against the increasing aches and pains of age and hopefully be some inspiration to other older MAPers. :)

Mitch

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  2. Mitch

06/09/11
    2.6 miles @ 10 min mile pace. Nice and relaxed Ave 81%HRM.

TKD training in the evening concentrating on back kick, jump back kick, reverse turning kick and a run through 3rd Dan patterns.

Mitch

Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. Mitch

07/09/11
    2.6 miles @ 10 min mile pace concentrating on forefoot landing and working ankle/calf strength, average 82%HRM. No aches from yesterday so quite happy. Knee got better as run progressed.

TKD teaching in the evening so ran through a warm up, taught for the most of the two hours, then did alternating rounds of one for one sparring and patterns for 10 minutes at the end.

Mitch

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  4. Osu Mitch,

Good to see you in the loggin' biz.
    Take care of that knee, tobi ushiro mawashi geri is not a great idea at the moment ;)

Osu!

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Way to go old man! Nice to see someone as ancient as you posting in here ;) :D

Be careful not do what I did and over do it with the minimalist shoes and give yourself shin splints! :bang:

6. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

Nice you ol' geezer :p

Great to have you here!!

7. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Great to see you post up a log.

paz,

dormindo

8. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

I'll be reading this one! Now, where's the popcorn? :p

9. Mitch

You wait until I start posting the "before" photos :D

08/09/11
    Calves felt a bit tired today but not too bad. Decided to increase the mileage a bit so 3.64 miles @10min mile pace @ AVG 84% HRM

I'm going to stick at or around this distance and then maybe introduce intervals next week. Fartlek. Pffffffffttt! Yep Fartlek :D

Enshin (now Charnwood Karate) in the evening, concentrating on the new kihon and some partner drills. A good sweat but not as hard as it usually is, lots more to come on that :D

Mitch

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Back when I was running I always found that once I was comfortable with 4 mile runs I could then start adding fartlek and other options, such as the same distance in a faster time.

11. Mitch

10/9/11
    3.6 miles @10min mile pace 84% HRM Ave. despite a rest day yesterday I felt tired today, but then it was hot 25c plus, and very windy.

Mitch

12. Frodocious

I've told you before, eating beans before a run is a bad plan!

Do you feel like your runs are getting easier yet, or is it still to soon to tell?

13. Mitch

Definitely getting easier. Altering my running style is stressing my lower calves/ankles a little, but my knees and thighs feel fine. My cardio is beyond the pace I'm running at so no worries there. It's more conditioning my legs to running again if that makes sense?

I want to chuck some intervals in next week, but I don't know if I'll be able to maintain forefoot strike when I speed up/am coughing up a lung. We'll see.

My weight's coming down; I'm currently on the normal "slightly porky" notch on my belt, but heading towards the "check me out" notch quite quickly. What? Doesn't everyone name their belt notches? :D

I'm not worrying about my weight as such. When I went through a spell of lifting regularly a while ago my weight went up by maybe 7lbs without having to adjust my belt. So I'm using belt and clothes as a guide rather than lbs. Saves breaking the scales too.

A good few weeks of intervals then I think I'm going to alternate lifting and interval runs. Lifting will probably be my old schedule of 3x8 Bench, Deadlift (if my knee is up to it), chin ups (3x5), overhead press (if my shoulder is up to it), overhead tricep curls and I want to add squats (see knee/shoulder caveat above) and those upside down press up thingies hanging from a suspended bar. Technical huh? Oh, and I'll be using my windy up wrist/forearm/grip trainer thingy and doing some forefist planks/press ups in an attempt to sort out my knackered wrists.

If anyone has any recommendations for exercises to strengthen the shoulder, particularly pulling it back and up into the socket, that would be cool.

Mitch

14. Mitch

It's properly windy here today, the waves on the river looked more like the sea and were breaking into white horses, the swans were sheltering in the lee of the riverbanks and Mary Poppins flew past at mach 5.

4 miles today, 10 min mile pace @85% HRM. Running into the wind was hard work; on a couple of occasions the gusts were so strong I pretty much ground to a halt and keeping my HR low enough for the monitor meant my pace was right down.

I'm not going to introduce intervals until the weather calms down a bit, but expect to see them soon, closely followed by a lung.

Mitch

15. Ah... June next year then... ;)

Osu!

16. Frodocious

The wind here is insane as well - I was going to go out for a cycle later but I may do a short run and some intervals instead, rather than risk getting blown into traffic!

Some shoulder stuff as promised (some of it is more postural and general back stuff as well, but it's useful reading):

Scroll through and read anything about back, shoulders (inc. the Neanderthal no more series), rotator cuffs:

http://ericcressey.com/articles

and some other stuff:

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/Push-Ups-Face-Pulls-and-Shrugs/

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/Shoulder-The-Load/

http://www.gymnasticbodies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=4966

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnAsnVNh0C0"]Fix your shoulder pain! Part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkajqbmzzgo"]Chest expanders for shoulder stability and rehab! - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.dieselcrew.com/how-to-shoulder-rehab
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0ONHZmsFec"]DieselCrew.com - Shoulder Rehab Protocol - YouTube[/ame]

17. Mitch

Right at the end of my run on Monday I pulled something in my left calf, so didn't run yesterday. TKD in the evening, but unfortunately my instructor couldn't be there so I ended up teaching :(

Ah well.

14/9/11
    Calf was feeling better today so decided to try my 4 miles at the best pace I could manage whilst sticking to the HR levels my monitor recommends. The results were great! I managed to maintain a good mid-foot/forefoot strike at the slightly quicker pace. No aches or pains so far :) Another run like that and it's interval time I think :D

4 miles @9.30 pace Ave 87% HR Max.

Mitch

18. Watch that calf mitch... you're not 20 any longer I am afraid! :)

Rugby, TKD, Enshin (Chambrock), running........... WOW!
    Are you sure?

Osu!

19. Mitch

No rugby for me O_K, that's Llama :)

We'll see how I stand up to one of sensei Gary's classes tonight. Gulp.

Another 4 miles @9.30 pace Ave 88% HR Max.

I need to take some pics where I run, it was just beautiful there today. Saxon church tower framed against clear blue sky rising over the fields on the far side of a barely rippled, sunshine-sparkling River Trent. Fantastic. :)

Mitch

20. Oops, my bad..... just be your haircut. :):D

Osu!