Just For Kicks - You Decide

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by Mitch, Sep 7, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Hey that's brilliant Johnno! The Colwick run is a few miles down the road so once I'm comfortable at the distance i might give that a go. I can also cycle there off-road, I guess it's about 4-5 miles, so I can do a cycle/run/cycle some time. That sounds like a challenge for the future!

Mitch

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

600lb tyre flips for time and reps :p

I jest of course. Is there anything you'd absolutely rule out?

3. Mitch

Not really, equipment will be the deciding factor.

Though I did see a tractor tyre at the side of the A52 a few weeks back, it might fit in a Mondeo's boot with the back seats down...

Mitch

4. LemonSloth

If it's the size I'm thinking of, those sized ones aren't great for flipping but oh maw lawd, they are amazing to throw. No joke. Gives you a proper "HULK SMASH!!!" kinda workout.

If it's bigger, then you can always stand inside it and try and do farmers' walks with it.

5. Mitch

16th September I was working all day then loking after the kids as Mrs Mitch was poorly sick, so nothing got done and I missed TKD :(

Today was week 3 day 2 of C25K 2.1 miles in about 28 mins AVG 71% HRM 370 cal.

I'm teaching tonight but maybe I'll just make everyone do the workout I fancy.

Upcoming categories for anyone who wants to make suggestions.

HIIT week.
    Caveman Week.
    Weights/kettlebells for conditioning.

Mitch

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Give the "Bible" a go!

7. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I have two alternative suggestions for HIIT.

1. Hill sprints. Run up then either walk or jog down. (Personally, I don't like running down steep hills because they play havoc with my knees.) Repeat for at least forty minutes.

If you've got a long road with a whole series of steep side streets then you work along them in turn, which gives a bit of variety. (That's what we do, working along Kirkstall Road, which you may know? Seventeen streets in all.) But failing that, going up and down the same street will do, it's just a bit duller.

2. This was explained to me by a chap who is training for a twenty mile run, so you might want to scale it down a bit. But I'll give you the full version and you can tailor it to your own needs.

Find a long flat road/path/runway/whatever. Do thirty seconds flat out sprinting followed by thirty seconds jogging. Do five sets (i.e. five minutes total time.) Then walk for ten minutes to recover. Then do another set of five as before, followed by ten minutes walking. Then a third set followed by a walk.

The next time you do it, increase it to six sets each time.

8. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Have you thought about doing the T-nation 10,000 swing thing? It takes about 4 or 5 weeks depending. It's super easy to do (as in a simple program) but pretty brutal. I messed around with it and it was a lot of fun.

You just need one KB for swings, then dumbbells, a barbell or KB of a fixed weight. You can do some body weight stuff too.

In a nutshell:

10 Swings
    Press (example) 1 rep
    15 Swings
    Press 2 reps
    25 Swings
    Press 3 reps
    50 Swings
    Rest 30 - 60 seconds

Repeat x 4

http://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I couldn't even do the first set of that let alone the whole programme. :(

10. Bozza Bostik

Pfffffft....;)

Nah, it's pretty damn hard. I used a lighter KB. I'm as weak as a new born kitten, so started with a 16 and then after a few sessions used a 20. It doesn't advise that on the T-Nation page, but other places do and I was just messing around with it.

11. LemonSloth

Sandbag training. It's ace.

Sandbags can cost a bit though (I've seem some come in at £60) and it would probably be cheaper to buy 15/20/30kg of play sand and shove it into an old sports bag with some towels and the like to stop the bag tearing but jeez, it hits hard. Really, really hard. It's also hilariously versatile, it even makes running fun.

Article by T-Nation talks about it better than I can:

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=4879847

I've used an old heavy bag I had lying around to do the same job and it really does get the job done.

12. LemonSloth

How long does that take you to complete the four sets though?

13. Bozza Bostik

With my ADHD? About 2 hours! :)

Erm....I actually can't remember. I haven't done it for a few weeks, been feeling pretty rough, and I didn't log the times even though I should have (its done for time). I was just playing with it. But it's a short work out, kinda 30 mins or something.

It's the kind of stuff I like; short and brutal. It's a fun routine, give it a pop! :)

14. LemonSloth

I'm disappearing from the face of known civilisation for a couple of days but I'm thinking I might have to!

15. Mitch

Funnily enough I was thinking about this. I've got an old, small, army kit bag that I reckon I could fill with some bagged sand, that should be tough enough.

16. LemonSloth

Go for it. You'll thank me when you stop crying :p

17. Mitch

Last week was a busy one so just my 3 runs, C25K Week 4
    22/9/14: C25K Week 4 Day 1. 2.45 miles 33.35 minutes Avg HR 73% HRM. 434 Calories.
    24/9/14: C25K Week 4 Day 2. 2.43 miles 32.48 minutes Avg HR 73% HRM. 423 Calories.
    26/9/14: C25K Week 4 Day 3. 2.55 miles 34.58 minutes Avg HR 71% HRM. 405 Calories.

Mitch

18. Mitch

I have, however, got major wood for tomorrow's caveman workout :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2014
  19. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

a log fit for a training log!

20. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

That birch is down!