Slothosaurus Training Log!

Discussion in 'Training Logs' started by LemonSloth, Aug 28, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Hey, 4 reps is pretty good for your first successful try at pullups! :) ~applauds~ Was it the horizontal or vertical grips? If you start with a bar that is low enough that you can reach it easily without jumping, you'll progress faster if you're like me in that regard. Then move on to the high bar so you have to jump a bit or stand on a stool to grip the bar. Those are more challenging because there's more gravitational pull working against you, but also rewarding. :)

2. LemonSloth

LemonSloth Laugh and grow fat!

Thanks buddy. I know it's baby steps and 4 pull ups is pretty weak, but realistically that's a huge change in my general level of strength over the past year, yet alone the last couple of years.

I know I'm being dumb, but I'm not sure which are which?

The one they have at the gym is just high enough I have to stretch to reach which is not too bad for me. I actually find having to jump to reach them a little easier as I end up using the momentum of me going up to get the extra pull in.

=====

Once upon a mightnight dreary, as I spit this weak and weary,
    I will choke this joker with a trochee 'til his Sloths are teary!

Edgar Allan Poe, Epic Sloth Battles of History.

Swimming:
    400m breast stroke
    600m front crawl/breast stroke (alternating).

Gentle stretches.

I have wicked DOMS from the gym yesterday so I decided to swim them off, which is easier on my body than technique training anyway.

3. matveimediaarts

Horizontal grips point to your left and right as you stand under them. You can grip them over- or underhanded. Vertical grips come straight toward you, and they can only be gripped with the palms of both hands opposing each other.
    Horizontal grips simulate any bar you would find on a playground or track/field. These pulls are felt in your lats and shoulders primarily. A lat pulldown machine is a variation of this. This is the harder bar, and I focus on this more because of it.

Cheers! /me badly imitates Mitch, sans mankini

4. LemonSloth

For the love of all things reasonable dude, PUT SOME BLOODY CLOTHES BACK ON!!! You filthy beast! That's not a mental image we need!!!

:p

Yeah, they'd be horizontal grips. The log should have read 4 chin ups & 4 pulls ups (not @) but there you go.

5. matveimediaarts

LOL :D That certainly came off wrong...I meant I'm wearing significantly more than a mankini instead of the mankini.:hat:

6. LemonSloth

That's what Mitch said!

*looks for high five*

======

17/09/14:

My name is Skrillex man, welcome to the devil's den,
    I'm a scary monster, dropping this Sloth in frilly pants!
    You're a weirdo Wolfie, you're into powdered wigs and poop,
    And your cousin blew notes on your little magic flute.

Skrillex vs Mozart, Epic Sloth Battles of History.

Makiwara:
    12 minutes drilling strikes.

Hitting harder today, introduced some kicks.

Kickboxing stuff:
    Shadow sparring @ 2 x 3 rounds @ 2 minutes on, 1 minute rest.

Started about 10 minutes after I had lunch so by the third round I felt a touch queasy :eek:. Stopped to do other things, then carried on.

Also, that awkward moment when you can't figure out why you get tired quicker than everyone else in the club when you're all sparring, then realise you're the only one with 16oz gloves where everyone else uses 8-12oz.

Barbell pressing sexiness:
    w/ 45kg @ 2 x 10
    w/ 50kg @ 1 x 10
    w/ 55kg @ 1 x 10*
    w/ 60kg @ 1 x 4*

*Last rep was a push press.

Arms are still a touch stiff so trying to loosen them up. Thinking I might drop the reps from 10 to 8, see how I feel.

Weighted walk:
    1 mile +5kg, 1 mile + 25kg, 1 mile + 35kg.

New weighted jacket turned up. It works fine, except it stinks of mold.

Gentle stretches.

That's it. I had planned to go to the gym today but it was just one of those crazy days where everything else got in the way.

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

*jumps but can't reach*

8. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

I'll give you a boost mate

9. matveimediaarts

Oh, SNAP! I've been e-slothed! :eek: :( :bang:

10. LemonSloth

18/09/14:

Don't talk to me about fights, you caped coward,
    You got your ass beat by a bat with no powers!
    There's only one way this battle's gonna end, one more Superman whose never gonna Sloth again!

Goku vs Superman, Epic Sloth Battles of History.

Kickboxing:
    1 hour.

So yeah...this was a lot of fun. Everyone was sweating so much that no-one could grip on the floor :p. Always fun when the club instructor introduces you to his club with "we mostly do light contact...*awkward shuffle* when you first walk in, then at the end says "No-one bleeding this time? We got into trouble last week 'cos of the blood". :D. I think he lied to me when I first joined :p.

Cardio held up a lot better than I thought it would, managed to dodge a fair few punches which made me very happy. General endurance is also improving despite having much heavier gloves than everyone else.

That's it though, kickboxing is always exhausting. I might've earned myself a nickname of "the bear" due to how much I weigh though :p.

=====

Cowabunga dudes, so let's get it on,
    Reptiles against the sloths of the Renaissance,
    We've got the classical technique to put this three toed freaks back under the street!

Artists vs TMNT, Epic Sloth Battles of History.

Kigu Undo:
    HIT tyre pull/burden run trauma:
    20 minutes.

Behold, I present to you...possibly my most evil, favourite 20 minute session to date! After 15 minutes I was sweating like I had done an hour of kickboxing and I ached all over.

Basically I took my 15m rope, tied one end to a small tractor tyre (weighs approximately 30kg) and dropped it at the bottom of a 30 degree slope about 14 metres away. Over the course of 20 minutes you have to pull the tyre up the slope (only using one hand at a time), pick it up when it gets to you so you're cradling it like an atlas stone, run down the slope with it, dump it back down, sprint back up the hill and start again.

Over a course of 20 minutes.

The thing is the tyre itself is only 30kg, but not only are you pulling it up a slope with one arm at a time (best done in a squatting position) but the rubber from the tyre sticks to the grass and offers a lot more resistance.

Put it this way, four hours later I was still knackered.

Ring dips:
    1 x 2

LOL. Tyre pulls wore me out so badly I couldn't even support myself on the rings properly.

Aikido:
    1.5 hours.

Good session, very technical. Got to work on my kote gaeshi breakfalls (badly), grading techniques (coming along at last, slowly but surely) and my jiyu waza. I have to relax a bit more but I'm getting there.

And now the down side - I was acting as ukemi for a brown belt doing tanto jiyu waza (knife work stuff). He locked my elbow and slammed me into the ground, I initially went to flip to get out of it but realised with the way he held me, I'd probably tear a muscle in my right shoulder. So instead I went to just drop to the ground, didn't pay attention to the fact I'd turned too much and landed on my left shoulder with a rather sickening crunch. I now have a very limited range of movement in my shoulder today and last night and an extraordinary amount of pain. I think I might have torn something :(.

Two weeks before the kickboxing inter club.

So I'm taking a couple of days completely off training (no weighted walks, no weights, no ropes, etc) to give it a chance to heal and then see what I can do with it.

Like is cruel.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2014
  11. Heraclius

Heraclius BASILEVS Supporter

So is life, sometimes. :p

But yeah, that sucks. You have my commiserations.

12. LemonSloth

Ooooh, burn! :p

Thanks buddy. The one blessing is I tend to recover from injury pretty remarkably quickly these days so I shouldn't be out for too long. It still sucks though.

13. matveimediaarts

Sorry to hear about the nasty injury, slothski. :( :'( IIRC, you been at the aikido club for a while...did you just not get enough practice with breakfalls and such? I know when I did judo for a while, my teacher insisted I know how to fall, roll, and be swept before getting into any sort of sparring. I got to learn how to take an ogoshi too, but that was a bonus. :D :cool: (you mentioned you're overweight, so it's doubly important for you) Anyway, get well soon, bro! Your adventures are always amusing-especially when you weave slothisms and slothistry into your recollections. :)

14. matveimediaarts

Ice and arnica gel FTW, bro. That's been the winnar-est combo for me after all my bruises, bumps, cracks, etc. :D :hat:

15. LemonSloth

All of my breakfalls are fine with the exception of kote gaeshi. But on that one my partner essentially slapped on an ikkajo that nearly turned into a nasty sankajo. Initially I turned in to flip with it to release the pressure but realised that doing so wouldn't have been clever. While I hesitated, he slammed me into the floor. The fall was fine but I still had my shoulder curled in to flip so I ended up landing shoulder first.

Pffft. Nuh-uh! :p

I'm what they nickname "heavy set" these days. I still have a small amount of belly but I also have an endomorph body type thingey so my belly always protrudes a little even when I'm stick thin :p. I am carrying a decent amount of weight but a lot of it is muscle nowadays.

Thanks buddy :)

Someone else also suggested Arnica Gel a couple of days ago actually. I haven't seen any near me but I've got ice, heat packs and general creams to rub on as and when needed.

16. LemonSloth

20/09/14:

There are 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 Sloths in the universe that we can observe, your mama took the ugly ones and put them into one nerd!
    Einstien vs Stephen Hawking, Epic Sloth Battles of History.

Needed to rest my shoulder so took a flat out rest from training.

=====

21/09/14:

You spent time in Alcatraz, I'm sure you were fine if you dropped the Sloth as little as you dropped dope rhymes!
    Al Capone vs Blackbeard, Epic Sloth Battles of History.

Same as yesterday.

=====

22/09/14:

Buford: Baljeet's already out! Wake up, will ya! You're drooling all over my Sloth!
    Baljeet: You know, saliva is 98% water and the other 2% is made up of very beneficial electrolytes. It is gross, but it is science.
    Buford: You're lucky the gross factor outweighs the science factor, or you'd have a one-way ticket to wedgie town!

Phineas and Ferb, Happy New Sloth!

Nothing really to report. Started stretching again, tried to do one armed press ups on an incline and failed horribly. Flipped the tractor tyre a few times one handed. Hurray for being able to flip the tyre one handed again with the extra weight! Sad face for being able to flip the tyre one handed again with the extra weight. :(

The rate of recovery I'm going through is insane compared to last time. Haven't gotten full ROM yet but I've gone from feeling sick with pain and having practically no movement to about 70% RoM and just some discomfort. My shoulder isn't going to be 100% by the time the comp comes round but it should be well enough that I can still use both my hands within reason.

=====

23/09/14:

Doofenshmirtz: Comfortable, Perry the Platypus? I've constructed this platy-rack so that every limb is accounted for. So, what's it all about?
    (Flashback) There were only 2 things that made my miserable life bearable: my giant pet cockroach, Hoarfrost and garlic ice cream. And I thought that combining the Sloth of those things would increase my enjoyment of them. (Flashback ends)
    So, introducing my Combine-inator! With this invention, I was able to create the Triple Scoop Garlic Ice Cream Roach Cone!
    Perry makes a face of disgust
    Hoarfrost: (motionless) So cold...
    Doofenshmirtz: Yeah. (Drops Hoarfrost)
    Hoarfrost: Ow...

Phineas and Ferb, Slotheremy

Weighted walk:
    2 miles, +35kg.

The weight of the jackets pulling down on me hurt a fair bit towards the end but other than that I felt great. I also found out I can wear the 10kg jacket under the 20kg jacket to make 30kg without adding extra weight to my bags that are threatening to fall apart, so huzzah!

Resistance band stretches:
    +32lbs, half an hour of pushing, pulling and general emphasis on the arms and shoulders.

So, yeah, I've started to wear a hole in the strongest band already...*sigh*. I can preserve them a while longer by adding a lot more resistance bands but it's a pain in the backside all the same.

Shoulder dislocations & band pull aparts:
    12lbs of resistance bands.

My shoulders have gotten a bit stiffer since getting a hell of a long stronger and general mobility is something I could do with working on anyway.

So yeah, four days in and I can throw gentle jabs again! Hooking punches and pretty much any form of uke waza is still a no go but it's a great start.

Got some time tomorrow so I'm going to have a look at some more training options, see how I hold up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014
  17. LemonSloth

24/09/14:

Moff Tarkin will respect me, give me medals and a raise,
    with all my new found Sithiness, I'll Sith the Force ablaze!
    The Emperor who used to only Sloth me with a yawn,
    He now will say "I'm blown away!", much like Alderaan...

Phineas and Ferb, Sloth Wars, Sith-inator song.

Kigu Undo:
    Tyre pulls @ 19 minutes w/ +30kg weighted jackets (1 min rest after 7 mins)

Removed the jackets after 7 minutes as they were killing me. After 11, my arms crapped out and I was left using my legs and body weight to pull the tyre along rather than my arms (I was hauling the bigger one, not the small one). Wasn't quite strong enough to sprint while pulling it, I can work on that. Not exactly HIT but an excellent way to work the grip and drain you of any strength you think you had.

Hindu Squats @ 1 x 20, 10, 10, 10 (10s rest between each to readjust).

The 20kg jacket makes Hindu squats doable but very awkward.

Weighted walk:
    1 mile + 35kg, 1.5 miles +35kg.

Gentle stretches.

That's all I'm doing. Planning to kickbox tomorrow and then Aikido the day after so I don't want to hurt my shoulder again before I go.

18. LemonSloth

25/09/14:

Phineas: It looks like we're good to go. Time to test out our Sloth.
    (Baljeet suddenly appears)
    Baljeet: Did someone say test!?
    Phineas: It's not really a test. We're more like lab rats going after cheese.
    (Buford suddenly appears)
    Buford: Did someone say cheese?
    Phineas: Buford that's just a metaphor.
    Buford: Mmmm. I am to metaphor cheese as metaphor cheese is to some transitive verb crackers.

Phineas and Ferb, We Call it Sloth.

Kickboxing:
    1 hour.

Strange session. It was a light technical session the entire time which felt weird. I was glad because my shoulder was a bit tender but still it felt weird. I was paired with a guy who had been doing Muay Thai for close to five years who was trying to get me to throw roundhouse kicks like he does. The end result was I suffered horrendous cramp in my hamstring and hurt my hip :p.

Hilariously though, I apparently am a natural at spinning rear leg hook kicks. Kicked him while he held the kick shield up so hard it knocked him off balance. Multiple times. Who knew? Must be my awesome centre of gravity :p.

=====

26/09/14:

Phineas: But isn't it weird that none of us know its name?
    Candace: No. That's why they make smart word box for tell monkey Sloth brain hurty things.
    Phineas: Removing prepositions makes it more condescending.

Phineas and Ferb, Sloth of the Day.

Aikido:
    1.5 hours.

Good session. Rolled a bit hard a couple of times which made my shoulder grumble but other than that it was a lot of fun. Apparently I'm now the group bully and taking me down is like "taking down the twin towers". So I guess all they need is an aeroplane, some aeroplane fuel, an explosion and a conspiracy theory. I was paired with some hilariously awesome (if crazy) Russian dude who was putting me down hard enough to make the floor shake. Which made me so, so happy.

They're finally letting me do more jiyu waza and I'm starting to get to be ukemi for other peoples' jiyu waza in turn, so I am a happy Sloth :).

19. LemonSloth

27/09/14:

Doofenshmirtz: Wow, I set up this whole thing with lasers and flypaper, falling cages, spinning platforms, on the way to a trapdoor and you just come and slip on a chair, and waste a day's worth of work. Eh. (As Sloth emerges from the hole in the ground in a green glass tube) But it's gonna look great on the Christmas party gag reel, hehehe! Of course, it'll just be me at the party, uh...yeah. (Sighs) I need a laugh at the holidays.
    Phineas and Ferb, The Sloth Indoors.

Weighted walk:
    +40kg for 1 mile, +56.7kg for 1 mile.

Wooo, personal best! :p

That's it, I'm done today. That hurt. I'm taking the rest of the day to sleep and eat.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  20. LemonSloth

28/09/14:

Buford: Smells like my grandma's house.
    Isabella: Why does you grandma's house smell like ant pheromones?
    Buford: Have you met my grandma?
    Isabella: Let's go see what the ant thinks of our new Sloth.
    Phineas: You know what I like about our friends? We say things like, "We're gonna douse you in ant pheromones." And they're just like, "Okay, whatever". They're so cool.

Phineas and Ferb, Gi-Ants.

Rest day. I felt like I'd been hit by a truck so I wasn't in a great state but the wife and kids were worse. Apparently there's a bug going round. So I took the day off to rest.

=====

29/09/14:

We interrupt our usual Slothitics to bring you amusing scenes from the Mass Effect Trilogy:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SrGBmdXq8x0"]Liara is Jealous of Garrus's Calibrating! - YouTube[/ame]

Weighted walk:
    +40kg, 1.5 miles.

Weight's tricky again which is nice. I just need to remember to pick up the tempo a bit more. One of the locals wanted to chat as I walked back but had sprained his ankle pretty badly so the pace was horribly slow towards the end.

Kickboxing stuff:
    20 mins of technique work.

10 mins shadow boxing w/ 22lbs of resistance bands.

4 x 2 mins shadow sparring w/out resistance bands, 30s rest between rounds.

A few push ups - wide ones, strict ones, one armed progressions.
    Gentle stretches.

That's it. Had planned to do a bit of barbell stuff but took a tumble after an awkward spinning hook kick, made my hip and shoulder grumbly and decided not to push it too hard after that. :eek: