How Do I Get My Son To Wear A Gi?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Friction, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Friction

Friction Valued Member

My son started Karate a few weeks ago and today his first Gi arrived. The instant he tried it on he started complaining that it is too big. So I asked him where? He pointed to his sleeve. I told him that it is supposed to be loose fitting like that, and then he proceeded to have a tantrum and now doesn't want to go to Karate any more.

How do I get him to understand that the Gi is supposed to be loose fitting so that he will want to wear it? I don't want him to quit just after a few weeks simply becuase he isn't used to loose fitting clothes.

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Show a video of someone kicking ass in a gi. Or take him boxing :)

3. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Friction, how much does he respect his Sensei? Could his Sensei have a word with him and show him how he wears his own Gi? You could also show him a T-shirt that he outgrew 3 months ago (I bet he has one - my kids grew like beans) and point out that he will probably need another larger one in another 3 months!!!

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

How old is he?

5. Friction

Friction Valued Member

I was going to do that KarateMum, but he won't even go now.

I should have posted that he is 9.

6. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Friction - I don't know if you have any older kids, but at 9 I found mine were just starting to realise that they can question 'authority/instructions. Try playing the psychology approach - Lets assume that he did actually enjoy going when he didn't have to wear the Gi and doesn't actually want to stop (if he was never really into it and is now using the Gi issue to get out of it you may have to just accept things and flog the Gi on ebay).

Have a word with Sensei on the quiet and explain your strategy and see if you can make the following work. Put the Gi away, Send him for the next few weeks in his own clothes - no Gi, no belt - he will likely soon realise that he doesn't fit in. In the finish the issue of the Gi will no doubt rise again. Your 'very convincing' and 'final dismissive' response is "No, you weren't comfortable in it so you are not wearing it - no-one wants you to wear what you aren't happy with" then carry on with something else. Play him at his own game - he no doubt wants the attention and is after everyone begging him to wear it. You need to fight fire with fire - make it seem as though you won't let him wear it and no amount of persuading will change things. You might be surprised by the results. NB. Mine are 15 and 12 now and the psychology still works ;-)

7. Friction

Friction Valued Member

Thanks for the advice, but after he calmed down and did some thinking, he has said that he wants to go back next week and he will wear the Gi.

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Your evil genius!

9. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

Chadderz, Nah, just a good few considerable years outsmarting two really bright kids with the able assistance of my mother who we share house with. They don't stand a chance against the combined onslaught, but as a result have grown up to be a credit to themselves!!

One of these days I swear I'm going to write a book on the subject!!! Ha, Ha!

Friction - I'm glad he's seen sense. Sometime a little thinking time is all it takes - a chance to come round to making their own decision and then they will follow through because they think its their own idea. The trick is providing the environment for making it happen. Some kids are obtuse, the moment they think you want them to do something they will do the opposite so the situation to create is where they think you couldn't care less what they do. They will then quite often come round to what they know is right by their own devices as has happened in this case. Once they think it is their idea you're onto a winner!! :-D

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Burn the rest of his clothes?

11. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

my 9 year old girl is tantrum queen, wierdly i had no problems with her starting BJJ, i think she thought she looked cool, well she does but im biased ;)

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Odd. When I was a kid, and teaching kids, we loved wearing a Gi. It was the uniform to symbolize we were "Karate People"

Could it be that kids nowadays are spoiled?

13. KarateMum

KarateMum Valued Member

47MartialMan I must admit that even at 47 I couldn't wait to get mine and 'blend in'. I love it too - it fits (I often have trouble with things fitting), it doesn't make fat bits look fatter, it's comfy, it washes well (OK - probably that doesn't matter to a 9 year old), and from a purely vain perspective I think it actually suits me, Ha, Ha!!

14. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

The moral of this story: kids are weird.

15. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Are you sure this is about the gi at all? Maybe he has other concerns about karate and the gi is simply a focal point he can get his mind around.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Does the gi have stars and stripes on it? :)

17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Generally, when it comes to kids (Wife taught K-6 spanning over time), I had taught many. Strange, some of these 'kids" are now adults with many approaching mid 40's to early 50's.. oops-my age is showing

For gi as well as sparing gear, kids I had came across were n=into getting different colors