Why Americans Love Guns

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by slipthejab, Jan 2, 2015.

1. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Right, my point is that the justification they used for his shooting is based on the fact that he was believed to be carrying a gun… in an open carry state. Yes I agree that racial discrimination here is the central issue, just saying that it affects the enforcement of gun rights as well. I think we agree on this one more than we disagree.

2. philosoraptor

Yeah, ultimately I think that this is the real reason most folks want 'em. Can't say I don't sympathize. I've been saving up for a sweet little antique Swiss K31 and think that I might… pull the trigger… on the deal this year. Ehh? Ehh?

3. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Its my right to have and own a gun(s), but it is my RESPONSIBILITY to make sure mine are not mis-used

4. philosoraptor

A penny saved is a penny earned! Once burnt, twice shy!

[​IMG]

5. 47MartialMan

[​IMG]

6. philosoraptor

Don't forget to wash behind your ears!

7. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I own my guns to kill people/animals or deter a threat.

I can think about a million more cool things that cost less money that I would rather want : /.

What . . . . I'm a realist. /me shrugs. I like to use things for practical purposes!

(Honestly though, why are a few metal mechanical pieces and a metal tube that contains a reaction of heated and expanding gas that projects a small piece of metal uber' cool?)

8. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Cause they give anyone regardless of size or shape the ability to take life in an instant.

9. philosoraptor

So does a carrot peeler in the right hands. The cultural capitol that we invest in guns is far beyond their utility.

10. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

Exactly, the right hands, whereas a gun is completely lethal in the hands of almost anyone.

11. 47MartialMan

Depends if the person is left handed

12. Mantis Matt

Mantis Matt Valued Member

Ever heard the expression about Sam Colt making all men equal? Same principle as EVERYONE should have the capability to defend themselves, regardless of age, gender, disability, etc.

13. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

I have, but generally speaking, murdering or crippling someone by sending a small piece of metal into their body at an unnatural speed is something of an over reaction when someone intimidates you by being slightly bigger, older (or younger), a different gender or in better health than yourself.

14. 47MartialMan

So does that mean they should go out and get a "Colt" :evil:

15. Mantis Matt

True, it's not legal, moral or ethical to harm someone just because they are intimidating you. However, when someone is protecting their families and self from physical harm, possibly even death, the situation is different. The level of force used to deal with the problem should always be justified.

16. Mantis Matt

No, it means that Americans have the right to opt for keeping and using firearms to defend ourselves if necessary. Also, the Colt brand isn't so popular these days, S&W, Springfield or Glock are better choices.

17. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So someone with a serious mental illness or disability should have the right to own a gun?

Really? :confused:

18. qazaqwe

qazaqwe Valued Member

So you just make a point of shooting people in the legs all those times your life has been threatened?

19. Mantis Matt

No, if and when the life of a family member or myself were actually threatened, I would send a few 9mm rounds directly into center mass. It's quite hypocritical to suggest that you would not protect loved ones or yourself, regardless of the level of force that became necessary. Why even bother taking martial arts if you are more concerned about the well being of someone intent upon harming others, than your family and self?

20. Mantis Matt

A serious mental illness that renders someone incapable of making the right decisions, no the law doesn't allow them firearms ownership. A disability? Should a person in a wheel-chair or that can barely walk not have the right to protect themselves?