Healthy Food is like Ritalin to Me

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Pretty In Pink, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I find it makes me sort of robotic. I struggle to smile at people and be as happy as I normally am. I also feel like I'm less creative, or as good in general at sparring.

On the upside my recovery time is amazing, and I can go for longer.

Someone has said I maybe have an emotional attachment to sweets. Does anybody know more on the subject?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

When you say health food, what sort of macronutrient ratios are you talking about?

3. Pretty In Pink

No idea. Ie been told to keep it simple. There boiled eggs in the morning + a scoop of peanut butter and litre of water with lemon slice in it.

Break is a protein bar and a Nakd bar (basically a fruit bar made of just dated and cashews).

Then lunch is a salad with chicken tikka or a variation on the flavour.

Dinner is normally something meaty, or fishy, with veg.

EDIT: drinking about 4-5 litres of water a day.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

who said that you can't eat sweets? don't suffer dude, eat a candy bar, or some ice cream. if it makes you happy, do it. it's really all about how much anyway.

are you competing? are you worried about your weight?

i'm a choco-holic. like i have a problem if i don't get some. so every night before bed, i eat a piece of my wife's baking chocolate: 100% cocoa. it's an amazing shot of chocolate!

even when i'm in serious calorie counting mode because of a competition, i still don't or won't not eat everything. when i was getting ready for a bjj comp. last year, my wife kids and i were travelling. i noticed a ben & jerry's spot at the airport. i decided right then and there: i was getting a double-scoop waffle cone; and, that was going to be my lunch. :)

5. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

6. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Easy! No steak on the menu? Aldi, Asda, Lidl. It matters not. More steak!
    Can you eat fish?

7. Giovanni

if i may...this may be part of your problem...

your diet is so limited. open it up a bit. there's a ridiculous amount of foods you can eat for breakfast and lunch. instead of eggs, how about a cup of greek yogurt with some fruit. or some steel cut oats with nuts and maple syrup.

what kinds of veggies are you eating? there's a ridiculous amount out there, try a bunch of different ones.

you're obviously really protein conscious. why not try adding some veggie proteins. like: rice and beans, quinoa, buckwheat pasta. rice and beans are a theme. you can mix legumes and wheat for a complete protein: wheat bread and peanut butter, pasta and cashews, etc.

two things keep giovanni really really happy: olive oil, lots of it; and, butter in my coffee.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2015
  8. Fish Of Doom

>veggie proteins
    >not mentioning spinach or lentils

giovanni pls :p

9. Giovanni

lol, i was just giving out some options. i've been eating lentils and spinach my whole life. my parents grew up, literally, dirt poor in greece. trust me when i tell you i've eaten more beans, rice and greens than you can possibly imagine.

when my grandmother lived with us, we didn't have dandelions in our lawn, because my yiayia harvested them all for dinner.

10. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'd also start taking Omega 3 unless you're mad for fish. With the work you're probably doing you need more of everything. More veg & more greens. If you burn it you need to replace it. Weight helps as a guide but it's easy to cheat in it ignoring the stuff that feeds you muscle. Smoothies are the modern way

11. Pretty In Pink

I've e got quite a bit of weight to cut in two weeks (about two kilos). I've got a day before weigh in so I'm quite lucky. My diet is limited because I'm crap with food. I can't really have pasta or rice because they're carbs :/

12. Giovanni

maybe you're in a bad mood because of a caloric deficit?

i get the no carbs thing. i don't really eat any carbs either.

try more and a variety of veggies. try eating lentils, per fish's suggestion. i personally love adding some fried tempeh to my salads, another protein. spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, squash, all good for you, tasty and loads of nutrients.

13. Fish Of Doom

yeah, low carb tends to make some people grumpy. you could try going slightly less low carb but cutting more fats to compensate (or move up a weight class and be happy :D)

14. StrikingDragon

StrikingDragon Valued Member

Consider in the future going up a weight class?

15. philosoraptor

It sounds like he's on a ketogenic diet, which is connected to some interesting neurological phenomena - it's been shown to be helpful in autism and epilepsy, but might be having some other interesting effects with Chadderz here. Chads, I'd say see what happens if you incorporate some whole grains, stepping up the dosage slightly each day.

16. Fish Of Doom

re: keto: people who've done keto long term seem to report that the grumpiness and mental fog is temporary and corresponds to a sort of adaptation period, from what little i've read. also, for keto you need to consune a fair amount of fats to compensate the super low carbs. if you're doing both low fat and low carb, cease and desist immediately and up either one of the two :p

17. philosoraptor

Yeah, I'm on a ketogenic diet and the grumpy period does go away after a while. I meant that he should transition out fats and go to higher carbs. :]

18. Giovanni

chadderz: is there a health reason that you're cutting carbs out so much? or just to cut weight?

when i say i don't eat carbs, that's not totally accurate. i eat fruits and whole grains. i just don't eat highly processed carbs, like pasta or bread. you can still give yourself some carbs.

19. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Because swapping eggs for yoghurt and fruit totally changes the macros and calories and thus changes the point if the diet.

OP I'm not surprised you feel crappy. You eat in a day what I'd have you eat in a meal.

The timing seems toake no sense, low carb all day apart from a naked bar (30g of sugar) in the middle of the day?
    Looks like a great way for a rebound hypo.

Who gave you the diet?
    I doubt its a desire for crap more a total lack of calories and a poor micros and timings.

20. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

No one is in ketosis eating naked bars. That could also be his problem. Full keto doesn't feel to bad.
    That said I wouldn't be doing combat sports on keto.