Hong Man Choi

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pitfighter, Nov 2, 2006.

1. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Perhaps this is in the wrong forum but what do you guy's think of Hong Man Choi? That giant currently dominating K-1? (Didn't know if K-1 fell under kickboxing or Muay Thai).

Did anyone see his fight with Jerome lebanner? [EXPAND=""]I think he was robbed of a victory. Jerome looked better superficially but I think it was obvious that Choi's flurries hurt more and were more effective.[/EXPAND]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2006
  2. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Spoiler tags added just in case anyone didn't know the result ;)

3. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

Choi did improve from his previous bouts that for sure. Someone taught him to jab... or something like that. :D

It always makes me wonder about what sort of training he's doing. Is he going to be inherently plodding and awkward because of his sheer size?

With a guy that size it's not going to take many before anyone buckles. I thought LeBanner held his own pretty much. He was smart enough not to try and brawl with the guy... and LeBanner can be a brawler when he want's to be.

Choi got a bit more busy with the knee's and a flying knee for a guy his size was a bit shocking to see... he wasn't all that far off from catching LeBanner with it. :eek:

It'll be interesting to see what becomes of him. Will we ever see Schilt V.S. Choi?!?! :eek:

4. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Best part of the fight to me was that Choi not only used the jab to create space and use his reach but also to setup combos. His flying knee missed but was followed by a flush right hook.

Generally I think big guys like him are obviously strong but I kinda think he needs to work on his coordination. I mean not just cuz giants tend to be clumsy but also cuz they don't always have knockout power. I think it's cuz they have a harder time coordinating they're hips and body into their attacks to land with their full weight. Once Choi can do that he'll be really dangerous.

5. removal

removal Valued Member

In Korea, Choi spends more time on TV entertainment shows than in the ring these days. He has a signature dance (more of a hip wiggle) which is used in several TV commercial. He is also featured in comedy challenges whereby several celebrities have to take on Choi in funny challenges. I saw Choi wrestle himself free quite easily from being pinned down by 7 men. I kind of feel sorry for the guy because he is treated like a freak in Korea! Many Korean girls also say he's so ugly! His original sport is Ssireum wrestling, and from what he demonstrates on TV, that is what he seems to be best at. Otherwise, he doesn't seem to be agile or fast enough to look great in the ring. He's just a giant guy who's hard to knock down because of his size.

6. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Believe everything you say removal. Still think he has lots of potential as a fighter. He fights well using his build well without overextending himself. It's a shame giants get that type of treatment oh well. Maybe he'll make the best of it.

7. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

Come on, the guy is huge but it's not really fun to watch.

8. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Most big guys aren't fun to watch in aesthetically. But I can enjoy fights with big guys when they're sound tecnically. Almost always though big guys who fight well technically usually fight very conservatively so that they don't give the other guys openings. Unfortunately for most that's boring to watch but I don't mind it personally.

9. Matsufubu

Matsufubu Valued Member

I think his fights are about a million times more interesting than Nikolai Valuev's.