Tae Kwon Do Jump Jump Jump

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by LightFury, May 1, 2004.

1. LightFury

LightFury creator of my own world

ok how do you tkd'ers train to jump higher?

i mean i once asked sumone and he was like just different training styles....

still didnt answer my question tho "how do you train to jump higher?"

please if u can help me thanks

2. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

hate to sound this way but..

The only way to jump higher is well to jump. Squats and leg exercises help but, mainly spend a few minutes a few times a week trying to jump as high as you can.

3. Kenpo Kicker

Kenpo Kicker New Member

Do some frog hops that may help out.

4. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

I know that this topic has already been discussed. Here is one thread, so have a look, u might find some useful posts: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8700&highlight=jumps

do a search, maybe u'll find more threads

good luck

5. Infesticon #1

Infesticon #1 Majesticon

By jumping a lot?

In general, if you want to get better at something you have to do it well lots of times.

6. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Good thread link supplied by neryo.

In 2 words.... "plyometric training"....

Search threads for this also!!

Good luck & Welcome to MAP ... stop by TKD Check In thread (if you aen't done so already!) :)

7. LightFury

im from karate though... kinda a combined class and i want to jump higher because im tall and cannot jump that high at all

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

oh well, in that case shhhhh .........

it's a secret only we TKD folks know!

9. LightFury

haha... ok i will hush about it then :p

yeah darn those karate people mwuhahaha

thanks for help ppl....
    to jump higher...
    1) jump
    2) jump higher
    3)repeat steps 1 and 2 until u are tired then go to step 4
    4) squats
    5) squats more
    6) repeat steps 3 4 and 5 :D

10. iain radford

iain radford taekwondododo

:) the only thing i do is when i run,i run on my toes to build up my calf muscles.i never run flat footed! :D

11. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

12. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

13. Guitarboy1212

Guitarboy1212 New Member

same here. theres just something about being tall that stops us from being able to jump high

14. spacepimp

spacepimp Valued Member

jumping

I think Michael Jordan has that problem too... :D

15. carlos

carlos MAP Hoo Flung Dung Expert Supporter

Flaps - so it has :woo:

Jumping though - as said before - plenty of plyometric work.

Don't forget to use all of the body for the jump - its more than a leg action, ther has to be a good arm spring. The arms always work with the legs - like walking & running - the arms pump as the legs pump.

16. chungmoomonkey

chungmoomonkey Just a few more months...

i use a focuz mit i hold the focuz mit and jump repeditly also it is good to find a target such as the cealing a light or onything that u pass by very day or that is in ur dojo. there is a part of the cealing in my dojang that is low and i would spend some time every day trying to touchit and i would go home with burning legs but no i can jump up and toucgh it

17. neryo_tkd

neryo_tkd Valued Member

as it has been suggested several times, playometrics can do the trick. it's easy to find plyometric exercises if you don't know any. don't you do any of those at your training sessions?

18. TJ StyLeZz

TJ StyLeZz New Member

Put weights - *around 1-2 kgs no need more* - on your legs and then try to jump :)
    After few trainings you'll see you jumping higher.

19. Rin

Rin Valued Member

You heard it a few times on this thread, but it's the best way so i'll say it again. P-l-y-o-m-e-t-r-i-c-s, explosive deep squats (frog leaps I think their called) and such, just google plyometrics.

20. AITKDMan

AITKDMan New Member

Excesive practice tends to help as well. Jumping did not come naturally to me, but I just kept on practicing and am ALRIGHT at it now. There are things you can do for individual kicks to get your body up in the air higher (like using the momentum of your leg to propell your body) but those tend to be specific to each kick.