kick shields

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by sipjinwarrior, Jul 19, 2011.

1. sipjinwarrior

sipjinwarrior New Member

i am a Taekwondo instructor and the vain of my life right now is trying to find some decent equipment at a good price. :bang:
    in particular im wanting a good kick shield but i cant find any trust worthy reviews on any. it needs to be one fit for seniors to kick with little pain given to the holder.

does anyone have any suggestions. the adidas ones i looked at dont seem to be that great. quite flimsy and light and would cut in two following a decent back kick.

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP. :cool:

I can recommend the pads from Tao Sports.
    I have several high density striking shields (the grey curved ones) and they take the impact, seem to be hard wearing , decent quality and a decent price.

http://www.taosport.co.uk/shop/equipment/index.htm

shields2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  3. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

Contemplated buying thai pads instead? more versitile than a shield.

I used to own a nice solid hayashi kick shield... seemed decent.

4. sipjinwarrior

sipjinwarrior New Member

thanks for these recommendations. we had a SAM kick shield in the mid 90s which used to be perfect, but it has been repaired and duck taped over and over again and its going to have to be thrown away soon.

we tried the blitz range and found them to be poor.

will check out the links given above.

anymore recommendations anyone?

5. Simon

I have not been impressed by Blitz, the quality is just not there. Playwell is the same, if not worse.

Bytomic appear to make some nice stuff.

http://www.bytomic.com/

6. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

T-Sport jumbo curved shields are the best ive used. highly recommended over anything by Blitz.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

I have some kick shields I got from Academy Sports in Derby years ago which are still going strong.

Looking at the site I can't see the same shields on there aymore, but they might be worth a look.

MItch

8. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Bytomic Curved Kick Shields

Hi,

I've bought a number of the Bytomic Curved Kick Shields and been very happy with them. They are sturdy and have shown no signs of wear and tear yet...

All the best,

Andy

9. Simon

AndyT, have you bought any other Bytomic products?

10. TheMadhoose

TheMadhoose Carpe Jugulum

For Taekwon-Do i find the best suppliers to be taekwondo-supplies.com. great service and a decent price. as far as sparring gear goes blitz pro leather open hand range are well made and every bit as good as top ten.

11. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Simon,

Yep - we've bought quite a bit through Bytomic... mainly pads and shields. Their customer service, quality of goods etc. has always been first class.

Why?

All the best,

Andy

12. Simon

Thanks AndyT.

Just nice to have another supplier. The only thing I have bought from them is the training pants, which I was impressed with. The only ones I've ever bought that have not shrunk in the wash.
    I have seen a few guys in the Adacemy wear their gloves and was surprised by the quality.

13. AndyT

AndyT Valued Member

Simon - anytime :)

You can get quite a wide range of pads there from 'cheap and cheerful' semi-contact type pads to full on boxing gloves. I've personally bought their branded pads and Top Ten leather range and been very happy with both.

On the very rare occasion we've had a faulty item, there's never been any quibble, a new items is shipped out straight away.

Their shields have been very good, and the few items of clothing I've bought through them have been great.

They always ship promptly which really helps.

Opening an instructors account was painless and well worth doing.

We've used quite a few suppliers but have settled on Bytomic for most items now.

If I can be of any other help, feel free to PM or email me anytime.

All the best,

Andy

14. StuartA

StuartA Guardian of real TKD :-)

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  15. sipjinwarrior

sipjinwarrior New Member

thanks for the many replies. has anyone tried BCS kick shields?

16. Spookey

Spookey Valued Member

Dynamicsworld.com

They are based in the USA, and the quality of their "Spartan Series" is quite fine and at a reasonable price if you have a wholesale account!

17. gemtkd

gemtkd Valued Member

I'm in the same boat! I quite like the look of the thai pads, but are they actually better??

18. sipjinwarrior

sipjinwarrior New Member

a friend of mine swears by iranian pads, but from what i can see they are difficult to hold for powerful kicks.

19. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

This thread may be old, but I think that KI kicking shields are pretty good. Durable, fairly rigid, and actually offers some resistance.

I was looking around in the storage area of my school once when I was really bored and stumbled on a cloth kicking shield that looked 20 years old. The instructor called it the "banana shield" because it was curved...anyways, it was an amazing bag with just the right amount of density.

20. TKDGuy

TKDGuy Valued Member

I think my instructor uses Tiger Claw. I have been going to the same place for about 5 years (maybe 6?) and we never had an issue with those kick shields.

We use the same ones for adults all the way to little 5 year olds (obviously the 5 year olds can't hold it, but they can kick it just fine). It also absorbs enough impact to let the holder feel some of the power (which is a necessary and good thing for training) while not damaging the holder at all.

The ones we use have two straps on the back for vertical plane kicks and a strap on the side to angle it down for horizontal plane kicks.

good luck!

EDIT--
    I forgot the mention that we never replaced them in all that time either...they still work and barely any tear!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2012