Kuk Sool Zero Tolerance

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Gary, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

Hissy fit.. and... Bully for you.

Nice choice of words.

There's been no hissy fitting from me, just an expression of an opinion which obviously doesn't suit your tastes.

Can we stop with the patronising tone and petty ad hominem now ?

Dave

Edit:

Actually, I don't really care, I'm bowing out of this thread as I've said all I feel I need to say without repeating myself, thanks for the comments.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  2. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Thanks Dave. Were you enlisted or an officer.? Did you spend 4, 6 or 20 years in the service? I guess you study Aikido or judo? How long have you been training? Trying to get a fix as to where you are coming from and not just a smart ( college educated person ) in your replies. You seem to have common sense and intellectual skills which usually do not accompany each other( a lot of smart people do not have horse sense ). Did your life learning experience's come from the school of hard knocks ie... learn from your mistakes? D2

3. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

Hang on D2 - think about what you're asking there
    You are asking personal details - potentially identifying details - of a guy who would appear to be a senior NCO in an active war zone...
    perhaps not quite the questions to ask, irrespective of whether they are valid or not
    Even if he's prepared to offer the information you ask, it may be better that its not asked.

As for common sense and intellectual skills - thats HOW you get to be a senior NCO in the British Forces.

PS - just for the record and to stop any sarcastic comments before they happen, I've never been in the armed forces

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  4. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

Never been in the armed forces, hmmm, well I have jamesdevice and you do a disservice to anyones sacrifices trying to discredit their service, no matter ur sense of nationalism, and people who choose to serve their country, no matter which country are the ones who provide you w the safety and security.to make the criticisms you are offering, ironic.

5. jamesdevice

jamesdevice Jötunn

OK, maybe I asked for that - it wasn't meant to sound in quite the way it came out. I've amended it now: I've not intention of causing another argument

6. elliotmurphy

It's ok jamesdevice, I ain't upset or anything, just pointing out one of these small ironies you see in the free world lol, who was of that said men of peace sleep soundly in their beds because of the men who protect their borders( loosely paraphrased)

7. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Ooh! I know! It was this guy (portraying the character, Col. Nathan R. Jessep):

[​IMG]

In this Movie: A Few Good Men (1992)

8. elliotmurphy

Close but I haven't seen that movie and the quote is a few decades older than that, lol, ill have to look right quick unknown but I think it was orwell

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."

Alternative: "We sleep safely at night because rough men stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm us."

In his 1945 "Notes on Nationalism", Orwell claimed that the statement, "Those who ‘abjure’ violence can only do so because others are committing violence on their behalf" was a "grossly obvious" fact. "Notes on Nationalism"

Although allegedly said by George Orwell although there is no evidence that Orwell ever wrote or uttered either of these versions of this idea. They do bear some similarity to comments made in an essay that Orwell wrote on Rudyard Kipling, when quoting from one of his poems. Orwell did write, in his essay on Kipling, that the latter's "grasp of function, of who protects whom, is very sound. He sees clearly that men can only be highly civilized while other men, inevitably less civilized, are there to guard and feed them." (1942)

"Yes, making mock o' uniforms that guard you while you sleep" - Rudyard Kipling (Tommy)

"I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it." - Aaron Sorkin (A Few Good Men)

Alternative: "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - Winston Churchill (miscellaneous quotation, no date)

Source; Wikipedia in case anyone thinks I am even more of an uber-nerd than normal....

10. elliotmurphy

Yup, orwell-"men of peace sleep soundly only because rough.men.stand ready to do violence"

11. Dave Humm

Just for the record fellas:

I'm not an officer, nor am I currently deployed.

Within the bounds of OpSec and PerSec, if people wish to know a little about my military service, drop me a PM.

Dave

12. elliotmurphy

I'm out now Mr humm, but I spent three consecutive tours in oif, before returning stateside. Thank you.for your service.

13. Dave Humm

At least you beat the clock..

Too easy !

Dave

14. Dragon2

Dragon2 Valued Member

Hello Dave I was trying to see if you understood what you said in post #25, 27 and #40. I was just trying to get some information so I could understand what level you were on and your experience. Does it hurt to ask? I was always told to ask then you would not have second hand knowledge and would not second guess someone. Always go to the source. D2

15. Dave Humm

Hi mate..

I'm not actually sure what you mean.

I wrote posts 25. 27. and 40 thus I understand very clearly what I posted and the sentiment behind them.

As I stated earlier, I've bowed out of this discussion because I've said all I wanted to say (in those very posts you included) if you want to PM me I'd be happy to answer or discuss whatever aspect of my comments you're unclear of.

Dave

16. Bruce W Sims

Bruce W Sims Banned Banned

I hope James will excuse my picking-up on his thread. I think it reflects a sentiment that touches directly on the discussion.

The Human Animal has survived for thousands of years because it is hyper-sensitive to changes---even variances-- in its environment. Even the suggestion of change is viewed with suspicion and distrust until that change has been proven to be of no danger to the survival of the individual.

Over the years I have repeatedly observed individuals to assume danger or threat where none exists or at least where none was intended. Its just people being people.

When people read these threads, their personality and mindset at the moment they are reading colors their "internal voice" as it reads the post. Noone but the individual reader, themselves, has control over this.

In like manner, when people write these posts, their personality and mindset at the moment colors the "internal voice" that is speaking through the post.
    Noone but the individual writer, themselves, has control over this.

We can put emoticons, self-depricating comments, qualifiers and diminuatives in these comments all we want, but if a person wants to take offense there is really little that can be done. OTOH If a person wants to be an abusive ass there is really little that can be done there.

A couple of years back I got a chance to see all of this stuff reduced to its single most basic denominator and that experience left me wondering what I had been about on these forums for the last ten years. Now I seek to be as affable as circumstances allow when I communicate. However, in the final analysis its not as though what other people think really makes a huge difference to me. Being integrated into the community as an acknowledged member is highly over-rated; certainly too over-rated to sweat every verb I bump against a noun. FWIW.

Best Wishes,

Bruce

17. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Electronic communication stacks up very badly against the alternatives. It's too quick, too easy, and often abbreviated to such an extent that the wrong impression can often be given and/or taken.