Good Aikido Books

Discussion in 'Aikido Resources' started by EmptyHandGuy, Aug 12, 2009.

1. EmptyHandGuy

EmptyHandGuy Valued Member

I'm currently re-reading Complete Aikido by Roy Suenaka and was wondering if anyone could recomend some other books along the same lines? I'm not looking for books about techniques but about the early history of aikido/biographies of teachers etc.
    I have been trying without much success to find a copy of the bio of Gozo Shioda in english so if anyone knows of a good source that would be great!

2. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

Aiki journal .com

I think you will find it there. It was serialised in Stan Pranin's aiki journal amg which is an on line web site.

Total Aikido (technical) is worth checking out.
    Translated by David Ruben one of the most comprehencive books I have seen (and I have seen them all):)

Attached Files:

• book.gif
      book.gif
      File size:
      53.6 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  3. EmptyHandGuy

Thanks Koyo, I've got that! I'm looking for more historical/biographical books as I've got loads of technical books/DVD's. Have you wrote anything (other than on MAP) about your expereinces in aikido, I bet that would be a great read :cool:

4. koyo

Wrote two on the Martial arts of aikido.
    Both sold out and I have lost the disks of the originals.:bang::bang:

Attached Files:

5. embra

embra Valued Member

You could write a second edition? - I guess the question has come up before.

6. koyo

The thrird was a kind of historical fiction about the great swordmasters,Musahi, Yagyu etc. More an excuse for writing down martial arts principles and getting my drawings into print.

Attached Files:

7. koyo

The Bear has asked to put them on a blog etc but I simply don't have the disks or time.

8. embra

embra Valued Member

Your many quotes and examples on this site alone, could almost be engineered into a usefull volume.

As you dont drink, I cant suggest 'It will keep you out of the pub'.

9. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Maybe the publisher still has a copy?

10. embra

embra Valued Member

I still have copies from the 1980s of Saito Sensei's 'Traditional Aikido' volumes 1 + 3, and I still read them from time to time - the content is still usefull to me.

I think they have been re-printed, but I could be mistaken.

11. EmptyHandGuy

Sorry to hear that.

12. EmptyHandGuy

I would like to see that aswell. Or an autobiographical tome on your time and teachings in aikido, that would be a real treasure trove :cool:

13. EmptyHandGuy

Yes, I have the 5 book set (well ebook copies of them:) ) and they are very good.

14. koyo

It would have to include the times when I was afraid to go the seminars because I was certain that this time I would be injured..so I put my kit in my bag,pretended to myself I was just going to walk past the dojo..it was the ONLY way I could approach it..and hang around until I was spotted then I HAD to go in.

One other guy could only go to be uke after a stiff drink.Hardly the heroic images of martial artists.

Those wear the days.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009
  15. embra

embra Valued Member

All part of what would be an entertainig slant on MA, way before internet forums, youtube etc. A dollup or 2 of Scottish realism maybe instead of MA heroism?

It could be quite a good book partly as a MA resource and also as a social chronicle on a ) the times, not long after WW2 and b) learning MA when it truelly was 'foreign' and unusual, unlike today.

Has anyone written a book on Aikido from a Western perspective? Did your previous one have sosmething of the Wetern perspective?

From what I read of your posts, it could really be quite a good writing project and quite entertaining. 50 years of serious training is a damm long time.

Unfortunately, one day, like us all, you wont be around, so it would be a good legacy to leave.

16. EmptyHandGuy

As embra says it would be a great to read about the early years of aikido here in the UK, warts and all!! I do hope that you do give us the benefit of your life time study of aikido and other arts you've studied. I'm sure there are many here on MAP and in the wider MA's community who would be excited to get their hands on a book containing the pearls of wisdom you have gleamed from 50 years of aikido study.

17. koyo

THANK YOU GUYS

However I do not teach aikido in my club I invite friends (i do not consider them students) to join me in my continued training.

I am a bit of a dinosaur in that I have never attempted to find "MY" or "fit in" with any group of aikidoka simply training without politics gradings or personalities.Hoping the aikido principles change me rather than I attempt to change them.

So a book about MY experiences would seam of little value. ALL I hope for is that I can help others TEACH THEMSELVES.

All of the seminars I have given at martial arts clubs I have stated I shall NOT teach techniques..I shall explain principles from which you can learn or better your own techniques.

Writing about aikido,I find easy, writing about myself..not so. I tend to look forward rather than back. But I am very flattered by your interest and thank you sincerely.

koyo

edit I will get around to some posts entitled old school that shall give an insight. You could also check out masters of aikido history and anecdotes thread. Again my thanks.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  18. koyo

GBUK

If you are reading complete aikido you shall have read of the changes made by Tohei sensei and the confusion it started in aikido.

An example of "Old school"

I was already a dan grade under Noro shihan and without us seeing it the effectiveness of the techniques were being lost even though we trained very hard.

When Chiba shihan came to the UK in 1965 I attended his first course in Sunderland with a number of my students.

He pounded me all over the mat congatulated me on my spirit AND GRADED ME BACK TO WHITE BELT.

"Something was missing" I was told.At that time any number of "aikidoka" left and ran for cover. I stayed and became Scottish National Coach for the ten years Chiba shihan was resident in Britain.

During that time I built my foundation on aikido being "Made to learn" rather than taught.When Chiba sensei left I spoke to him and explained that I could not become involved in the politics that his leaving would inevitably cause and he "suggested" that I seek instruction from saito shihan who was the "nearest to O Sensei" having received much more personal training from O Sensei than any other Suenaka mentions this in his book.This I did.

Today many people demand to be "taught" when in reality ALL of the demands must be upon yourself.Old School.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2009
  19. komuso

komuso Valued Member

Hmmm,

the new book would be extremely cool Koyo, so I will add myself to the subtle pressure being brought to bear here. I can even try a guilt trip :) We all need some kind of record before all of the old lions pass from the field in case what gets left behind is, well.... soft?

With the old books, how about scanning them into a pc for a re-print. We do it with old stuff a fair bit at work, particularly old documents or texts that we are worried about in terms of their condition. I am sure between all of us here on MAP this is something we can organise?

What do you think folks? Projects re-invigorate Koyo's old books and make him write a new one? I don't even practice aiki anymore (having gone over to the darkside of the Fillipino arts) but I would be VERY interested in such a thing...

paul

20. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I'd be interested in seeing Koyo's books. I'd buy them if they appeared stateside.