Wasn't sure where to put this, but it's a conditioning question

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by furinkazan, Oct 28, 2015.

1. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

Ok, so Im building some hojo undo gear and looking at how karate does supplementary training like toughening the fingers, arms, hands etc. I have a similar practice in kung fu called iron palm, which involves striking a bag full of beans or gravel (depending on the users preference) for toughening the palms in a similar manner, however, I was wondering about Dit Dar Jow.

My sifu who taught me qigong encourages the use of dit dar for any hand conditioning you will do, however I've yet to see anything from my time reading up on or watching that sort of body conditioning in karate. Is it truly necessary or is it something I could potentially skip?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Why would it be necessary? You're hand will still likely break if you hit someone on the temple. Just hit the bag like a regular person :p

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I wouldnt do anything like that, unless i was taught in person by a qualified teacher.

If you want SandC work, go running/swimming, swing a kettlebell or lift a barbell.

4. furinkazan

furinkazan Valued Member

the hand conditioning stuff isnt part of strength and conditioning, I already do that