Free standing punchbag

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by zombiekicker, Jun 16, 2015.

1. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I have nowhere to hang a punchbag, any good recs for a freestanding one, as I want to practice both punching and kicking, not thin air either

2. liero

liero Valued Member

I've found them to generally be sub par compared to a solid roof mounted heavy bag. If you want to get "freestanding" find a rack that you can hang a big bag off rather than buying one of the ones you fill with water into a base on the bottom. Falls over less and you can pick the bag.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have a "wavemaster" that was not great for power punching so I covered the whole thing in tires and now you can really give it some leather and it doesn't fall

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Buy a maize shapped bag, if your small on space there a lot better for striking.

5. belltoller

belltoller OffTopic MonstreOrdinaire Supporter

Would drilling, mounting stud beams on a portion of a wall be out of the question?

You not being a wee fellow would probably get frustrated with anything under 7 stone - I'd recommend an Outslayer Heavy bag stand - it can support up to 160kg or so weight and provides enough vertical space to be able to mount the taller bags that you'd want for kicking.

When I first got our Muay Thai (150 lb) bag, I stood it in a corner of our basement while I finished mounting the ceiling beam bracket fixture and noticed if you pulled the bottom of the bag out a few centimetres from the corner it would not fall over regardless of how much one punched or kicked it - very sturdy - of course there is the issue of limited striking mobility but if you are unable to mount anything, it will temporarily do until you've gotten the proper sized bag - hanger.

Are you certain you canna mount anything to the ceiling - it really doesn't require much in the way of materials - you would have to have sistered ceiling beams in the room where you'd want the bag, however.

I've a picture of ours down below - the mounting bracket only takes up a few centimetres of space - but you'd want to use heavy duty lag screws along sistered joists.

Hope it helps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
  7. belltoller

We've put the MT bag through its paces and there's been no problems whatsoever.

I'd some initial concerns about possible joist-roll, shear, flexural failure of the beam due to the strains from an unevenly distributed load swinging underneath - which is why I mounted it along sistered joists and chose the location relatively close to a supported end and not in the middle of its span, used spacing blocks and joist hangers.

If the bag were swinging freely in the air and it being 150lbs, I would have come up with a different way but as it does have some support on the ground, I've not seen ( or heard rather ) any problems. Its hard to see from the photo but the lag screws go completely into the web of the I-joist(s) - not just the flanges as it may appear :)

I've a free swinging canvas bag on another set of sistered joists but its only 70lbs. - No issues.

Can't say I know much about these pre-manuf I-beams that they use - how the flanges ( which are adhesively fixed in some manner ) hold up to being drilled/bored, etc.,

Do you?

Good points ( I'm assuming I addressed some of your concerns, at least ) to bring up.

8. belltoller

Oh, BTW - here's a youtube review of sorts on the Outslayer bag - stand that I'd mentioned a few posts back.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwpYzFJ4bhs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwpYzFJ4bhs[/ame]

9. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

I've bought one off amazon, a freestanding that is, and will put concrete In the bottom, and try Hannibal tyre method, cheers everyone

10. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

May I recommend sand and water over concrete? You will still achieve a very heavy and grounded base (2 guys together struggle to move mine...) with the added bonus of being able to empty it, should the need arise.

Regards

Travess

11. 47MartialMan

Sand is always better than water

12. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

Unless your thirsty ;)

13. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

If that was a vote swayer, I'd have filled mine with Beer, and fitted a tap... :D

Travess

14. 47MartialMan

Then you might was well not have your bag, as you will never have the counter-weight :evil:

15. belltoller

Just curious, what'd you end up with, mate?

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

It's easier to move it if your use water. It's easier to let go some water than to let go some sand. Soon or later, it will leak any way, you will then have no option but to use sand.

17. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

18. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

It's mixed reviews , it's more for technique than punching to death, I used to have a sand filled one I hit bare handed, so more worried my ninjutsu footwork is affecting the jeet kune do

19. belltoller

Even the 350lb monsters are more useful instruction tools when one applies thought-out technique rather than blind, brute force ;)

20. zombiekicker

zombiekicker bagpuss

It's staying put with water . For now