To those who have trained in Korea: TKD in Korea?

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do Resources' started by t3hd3adlyTKD, May 9, 2006.

1. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

Thomas, thank you for elaborating. Interesting stuff. :)

2. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

I've managed to salvage some of the original thread that Yang, Dae-han was referring to.

Indeed t3hd3adlyTKD was a troll who has since tried unsuccessfully to reregister under a myriad of different names ......

3. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

I don't know. I know that people refer to it as a "martial art" and it is definately seen as something "different" than a sport, especially when looked at in the context of the military and such. But, not many people continue it into their adult years though. (Is that really different than here though? )

4. Alexander

Alexander Possibly insane.

Thanks.

Yeah, you've got a point. Its not really that different.

5. Wolf

Wolf Totalitarian Dictator

To the best of my knowledge you may have to go to Pusan to find KSW. Since the split what were once KSW schools in Korea may now fall into the Kidohae. That's just a slightly educated guess though.

6. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Bumped for "tkdMike"

I know, it is not ITF, but....

Cheers,

DH

7. aaron_mag

aaron_mag New Member Supporter

Heh heh...

I think that the threadstarter is one of the many kids who are disappointed that TKD is not viewed with fear and awe by the general adult population.

Thomas not only spoke the truth about TKD in Korea, but about martial arts in general. Even if you have a BJJ black belt most people, in whatever country, just don't give a damn. In adulthood people are more focused on career goals etc rather than sports/fighting. The reason for this is clear...the important issues in life are rarely decided through a 'fight' but on all the other stuff. You apply for a loan, for example, no one gives a crap how many submissions you know, they only care about your credit history, income, etc.

My point to the threadstarter is you have to do this martial arts stuff for YOURSELF and because you enjoy it. You start worrying about what everyone and their brother thinks and you'll be continually disappointed.

8. removal

removal Valued Member

I will be finishing my stint in Korea at the end of the year after 3 years. I came here to teach English purely because Korea would allow me to study Taekwondo on a regular basis (I was just getting into Taekwondo in Hong Kong when the SARS virus put a lot of the Taekwondo gyms out of business - they've since come back but with a very high fee structure.)

At first, I had a long and frustrating time finding what I considered to be a 'good' gym in Korea. After 3 years, I reckon I have found just a handful of places which offer any form of 'serious' training that could make you into a genuine Taekwondo competitor.

My conclusions about Taekwondo in Korea are now very different from when I first started. From what I've realized, Taekwondo is essentially an after- school pursuit by many Korean youngsters who are not surrounded by lots of open parks and gardens as many people in the west have. As a result, Taekwondo is a very specific industry that often has rather different aims to what the competitive people amongst us are looking for. A Taekwondo gym might be the only space a child has to exercise in through the whole day, since a child's life is very academically oriented, and in it, they will actually be taught how to do things like run and jump. A Taekwondo class is essentially an extension of a PE class.

I think it is great to experience Taekwondo in Korea. Most instructors have been doing Taekwondo full-time for their whole lives, so their skills are very good. However, don't expect the teaching to always match the skills of the instructors. While it is interesting to join the high street local gyms, if you are coming here with the aim to genuinely improve, you have to find a way to get into the Korean sports universities which have a Taekwondo department. These are where the Korean Olympic champions come from.

For more, visit my link below (plug, plug...)

9. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

10. burton89

burton89 New Member

Train In Korea

Myself and a friend were lookin to train somewhere in Korea but unfortunately we can't find anything on the net. Could anyone here help us out?

11. Mevans

Mevans Valued Member

12. Liam Cullen

Liam Cullen Valued Member

It might help to give us more of an idea of what you're looking for, and what your background is. Have you done TKD before, do you speak Korean, etc.

I would suggest having a look at Sang Rok, I hear nothing but good things about them and it's where I want to go next time I'm over there. Master Chang always seem happy enough to answer any question via email. You can check their site out at: http://www.sangrokgym.com/

You might also want to have a look at this thread.

Welcome to the board :)

13. buck65

buck65 New Member

What about lower belts (blue belt ITF)? or would you wait till Black?

14. Deacon

Deacon New Member

Sorry I am so late in joining this thread...I lived and trained in Korea from 1992 to 1999 (no I am not Korean...sorry) but here is my attempt to answer your questions:

1. How Koreans in Korea generally feel about TKD and do they still like it? Do they think proudly about TKD as an effective martial art? Or do they dismiss it?

Koreans consider TKD as their national sport. They are very proud of it and those that represent Korea at the international level. However, just like in the USA regarding baseball, TKD is viewed as a child's game unless one makes it to the "big leagues." Also, while some instructors view TKD as an effective martial art, most Koreans think of it as a sport.

2. It seems that most TKD practitioners in dojangs in Korea are kids. Why is this? Why don't adults/young adults in Korea not join dojangs?

See previous answer and the baseball analogy. Also, adults don't join dojangs because they are just too busy...long work hours.

3. It seems that most TKD practitioners in dojangs in Korea are kids. But is this the same for other martial arts too? If so, which ones?

Yes. Most TKD and martial arts practitioners are kids or teenagers...regardless of the sport.

4. Lastly, do teens and college students train at their schools instead of dojangs?

Not unless they attend a TKD high school or college.

Lastly, I loved training and living in Korea. I supported myself as an English teacher, but my first priority was TKD. If you can swing it, I recommend that you kick off the dust and move to Korea to train. It is an experience that you will never forget.

Cheers!