Krav Maga Competition

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thinkingbody, Feb 16, 2017.

1. thinkingbody

thinkingbody Valued Member

I've trained under two different KMG schools. One did no sparring as far as I could tell. The other did some sparring, but only because the instructor had done some boxing post getting his instructor qualifications and realised how useful it is. In my opinion both schools lacked basic understanding of fight mechanics ie. keeping your hands up while punching, proper foot work etc. They seem to think they can compensate for bad technique with aggression. This fostered a pretty sad and lame bunch of students who appeared to think they were well prepared but were not. The latter school I still train with on and off, and their training methods continue to change as the instructor is slowly realising that a lot of the drills in KMG are not as useful as he had once thought.

One of the big problems is that these organisations cater to house wives and wannabe hero's that only want to train 2 hours per week and think that they are killers. I don't actually have much of a problem people that only want to do say two classes per week but they need to realise how little they actually know. And this focus on the two classes per week students alienates the more committed martial artists that want to take up KM as they are constantly going over the same drills which miss much of the fight mechanics mentioned earlier. KMG seems to focus on giving people something they can use immediately, rather than fostering the skills which take a lot of time and effort to instil, but which ultimately makes for a much more effective fighting system.

2. schnueffler

schnueffler New Member

I do Krav Maga only on seminars or when I am on travelling by work, when I visit friends who are trainers at Krav Maga.
    In nearly every class, at the end, there was sparring in different ways.
    I liked it a lot, becouse I have several fights in Jiu Jitsu/ Ju Jutsu and MMA.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

How did you find the KM sparring? and how do you compare it to your MMA training?

4. schnueffler

schnueffler New Member

It was with full protection, like helmet, protevtive vest, boxings gloves, shin and foot protectors.
    So you have not fell the impact of an hit, like in the MMA sparrings oder JJ sparrings.
    In the advanced classes where some good fighters, but in my point of view, just some of them knew the feelings of getting hit realy hard without the whole prtotection gear.

5. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

Never seen a krav competition before, interesting.