What Does Humility Have to Do with Martial Arts?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by The-Millenial, Feb 21, 2017.

1. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

What I learned in humility:

1st place is all fine and dandy.
    2nd place is working twice as hard to beat you.

And like those before me have said, somebody is always stronger, faster, smarter, and more agile than you.

2. BrendanCassidy

BrendanCassidy Valued Member

To know what you are and what you can do...is humility..to not boast...or act arrogant..unless one is necessary at that level...

Proving what you are in a stage necessarily tests your humility!

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i agree thomas.

i would add it's one of the most important aspects of our lives.

4. kandi

kandi Valued Member

I think I'd rather compete against / train with someone 25% better than me, and lose, than to compete against / train with someone I can usually beat. Losing is a great reward, because you learn. Winning feels good temporarily, but doesn't do a lot for your skills development.

5. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Humility should be present in every part of life. It's even more important in martial arts where people hit each other often. Otherwise you can get more than a bruised ego.

6. Purple

Purple New Member

The more power you have, the more humble you should be. Otherwise power can literally destroy you.

7. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Going from fighter to teacher and then back to fighter again taught me a lot about respect and humility. It has been a hard journey mentally for sure but I have learned a lot from it.

8. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

it is better to leave the book half read and the bowl half empty. For a mind that is full cannot learn and a body that is full cannot dance.

Humility allows space for learning.