What was the last movie you watched ....

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Guvnor, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Think thats a bannable offence. :D

I only watched it because of Fan Bingbing as Blink. I was so excited for that, great character, although her essentially representing the victims of the Holocaust was kinda on the nose. (like last 10mins of Inglorious Badders obvious)

Shame they weren't able to bring her back as Blink. But apparently they're looking at Jamie Chung to take over the role..

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Jamie Chung.

Yum.

That's all I'll say.

Last film I watched was Gantz 0 on Netflix.

That was one crazy film.

It's worth a watch if you like things like Attack on Titan etc.

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I watched The Nice Guys last night. I enjoyed it and it had some very funny moments, but it wasn't the most joined up film. It was interesting to watch the contrasting styles of Crowe and Gosling though.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Watched it last night too. Suprised Netflix snapped it up so quickly, but I guess thats where distribution is going now-a-days.

I thought it was a bit of fun. Not as Christmassy for a Shane Black film though.

5. Anth

Anth Daft. Supporter

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2. Great use of the soundtrack, don't think they'll get much more out of Drax and metaphors (unless he encounters Stark in Infinity War), one character could be used more and Baby Groot is a merchandiser's dream - I want a Baby Groot!

6. Ben Gash CLF

Go online, there are endless 3D printer patterns for them.

7. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Just watched Alien Covenant and I think if you enjoyed Prometheus, that's how you'll feel about this movie. Except maybe a little worse. The same sorts of flaws and missteps crop up in Covenant, but without the exuberance of exploration. I'd call it a rental - I was pretty disappointed but, hey, it's a decent enough popcorn flick that'll entertain you in the moment and disappoint you with lost possibilities. Felt like nothing more than a soft reboot with a focus on creating trailer worthy scenes and appealing to an international market.

8. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Watched Central Intelligence last night, starring The Rock and Kevin Hart. I laughed quite a lot, and you can't ask for too much more than that. Good Action Comedy with heart. 8/10

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Oh, man -- no. Coincidentally, I *tried* to watch it two nights ago. Got it at the library because, hey, the Rock is pretty cool. I stopped it half way through.

[film critic moment]
    The Rock was pretty cool (he's really not a bad actor at all) but the movie just wasn't happening. I'm not sure what was exactly was wrong. I think it was part pacing, and part poor scripting to bring out the characters.

Like, the bar fight -- why would four big guys want to pick a fight in that type of bar, anyway? And where were the waitresses to calm them down? The blonde was all over the Rock at the beginning and at the end of the scene, but she and all her coworkers were completely absent in the crucial middle. The fight was just too strained.

And the CIA lady boss with her entourage were caricatures of caricatures. Walking into his house and questioning him with accusations not questions, and then taking over his office but not in any sane way -- that wasn't funny, that was playing the stereotype of an idiot incompetent boss except that she was supposed to be the boss of a super-duper genius spy. That doesn't work.

At the end of the office fight there were, like, 20 CIA guys with guns all pointed at the Rock with nothing to show for it, because they were just caricatures. Once again, a movie CIA boss must work with 20 thoroughly incompetent yet "field worthy" agents. It could have been funny had the fight been choreographed like a Three Stooges battle with staplers and trashcans and, I don't know, silly office stuff. The writers tried it with the struggle for a gun but the CIA agents gave up that fight too easily -- because they're incompetent, because whoever works for the boss of the super-duper dangerous spy by definition must be incompetent.

I stopped the movie as the Rock was removing the gps from his Uber because I hadn't laughed once, though Rock in a unicorn t-shirt did make me smile. I admit, Rock in a pale blue unicorn t-shirt was a brilliant idea.
    [/film critic]

I'm glad you liked it, though. The back of the box says its is "outrageously funny," so you're not alone in liking it. :)

10. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Nice to read you experience AkM,

I'll admit there where a few moments that were pretty silly. But I think that's part of the comedy part for me, or it added to the silly feel the film seemed to have. What I'm trying to say it wasn't taking itself too seriously. Like the amount of shots being fired and no one getting hurt at times. I even commented on it to my wife "this is so silly" once or twice. I've always enjoyed Kevin Harts performances and this seemed to jive with my kind of humour and I thought the Rock was pretty good too. I just kinda had fun watching it and didn't take the action bits and plot too seriously. I quite liked the bullying angle and how that all panned out, that added a bit of emotion to things and under the comedy and silly action there was a serious message being conveyed. Bullying is not cool!

take care

11. philosoraptor

Just watched John Wick 2 and... I mean, it's a good film, with some really interesting scenes and cool expansion of the world, but it very much felt like it was trying to set up the third film. Didn't feel as tightly scripted or have as many characters that were as much fun as the first movie. The soundtrack took a nosedive and the film really suffered for it.

Also has the very best fight in a mirror room ever. EVER.

12. aikiMac

Wait, what? Neither Redbox nor Netflix has John Wick 2 ! How'd you watch it? No fair! :cry:

13. philosoraptor

Bought it on amazon prime for $15 or so. Regret it now, lol.

14. aikiMac

The Criminal (2016)

Borrowed it from the library because it has Wonder Woman, and the only movie I've ever seen her in was Fast & Furious #4 -- and her role there was small. Her role here is small, too, but very important to the story. But more importantly, I like this movie.

Kevin Costner is *awesome* in his role as someone as amoral as The Joker. I was seriously wondering how the 1989 Batman would have been with Costner in that role instead of Jack Nicholson -- he was that good at being scary crazy.

Basically, Deadpool is a CIA spy working in London, England. He's married to Wonder Woman. In the opening 10 minutes the bad guys kill him. :happy: Oh, wait, that was bad, because now the world might end, because he was on a very, very, very important mission. :cry: !!!

Because this is a spy movie the bad guy leader is a computer hacker with unrealistic computer access to everything ... everything except the hiding spot of the person Deadpool was about to visit. (In hindsight, the bad guy should have followed him to the hiding spot before killing him. Oops. Live and learn, boss! :p )

The CIA bosses don't know where that guy is hiding either, so they call in a doctor to transfer Deadpool's memories into Kevin Costner. Why him? Because (1) he has a brain injury only 1-in-ten-million people have, and one that makes him suitable for this experiment, and (2) he's conveniently located in a federal prison, so they can get to him right away.

The rest of the movie is a triple cat-and-mouse as Costner struggles with the memories of being happily married with a daughter, and the sudden new skill sets of a James Bond/Jason Bourne spy, while trying to stay away from both the CIA and the bad guy, and while trying to find the huge bag of money Deadpool hid.

The closing scene was a bit sappy, but until then -- pretty fun! :happy:

15. Ben Gash CLF

Watched The Magnificent Seven. Was disappointed (and I didn't have great expectations of it).

16. aikiMac

Redbox has "John Wick 2" now. On the whole I liked it.

The first one is better in terms of emotional bonding with the character. Truly, the only reason I watched #2 is that in #1 I felt something for the character of John Wick. In the sequel, though, that's completely missing. The character John Wick has no depth in #2.

That said, the fights are pretty cool! I daresay this movie might actually have the best movie-fu I have seen. By "best" I mean "I might almost fight way." It's not perfect (I'm thinking of the stone stairs), but it was really, really good! :D And if you can overlook the 2 or 3 times when there was an unlimited number of bad guys streaming toward John Wick pretty much in single file, the gun fights are really good, too. The way he moves and shoots was almost as beautiful as a sword fight. Almost. I love how he incorporates jujitsu into his gun play. That was really slick. :D

So, from a martial arts aesthetical point of view, John Wick #2 wins.

axelb likes this.
  17. aikiMac

"Logan"

Was not expecting that! Wow, this movie is *not* like all the other X-Men movies. I'm talking decapitation, spikes through the skull, impalement, chop-chop-chop-chop-chop-chop with claws, spikes through the skull, impalements -- oh, and spikes through the skull and chop-chop-chop-chop with the claws. Gruesome!!!! I did not pay attention to the rating, and -- wow, this one earned it's R!

Oh, and the ending is depressing. Lots of death. Lots of it. And then the credits roll, and the viewer is left with images of death and sadness still swirling in his brain.

Okay, that surprise out the way (shiver! I can still see that little girl in uber-killer mode!) it works on some levels. The emotional bond between Logan and Xavier is palpable. These guys love each other deeply. That was a real pleasure to watch. And seeing an aged, broken Wolverine, and a mentally crippled Xavier, was very cool indeed. But the Reaver leader? Meh, 1-dimensional. And the whole secret-evil medical lab filled with amoral scientists? Meh, been there, done that, and it wasn't good the first time. I hate that story line. And the basic plot itself was tired and boring: "Bad guys are chasing us. Must get to location xyz by dawn, or else." Come on, we saw that in the 1975 movie "Escape to Witch Mountain." I expected better from Marvel. But, I enjoyed the humor about X-Men comic books. That was very, very clever, and it was funny.

Overall -- as a way to end the franchise, this worked. There's no coming back from this movie. The X-Men are definitively done, and both Logan and Xavier are okay with that. Those two guys found peace. But for movie aesthetics overall, it was poor because (1) it ends on such a depressing note, and (2) there were too many overused, tired, boring cliche elements for the awesomeness of the Logan/Xavier relationship to overcome.

18. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I really, really wanted to enjoy 'Logan'. Saw me the trailers and I was blown away, this was like no 'X-Men' movie that we've seen. Unfortunately, I was left a little underwhelmed.

There were elements in it that were outstanding, X-23, "Old Man" Logan himself, and, for me, Patrick Stewart gave a performance, as Professor X, that had me in tears (I'm a life long X-Men fan). The ending too left you raw - again as a huge X-Men fan I was "heavily invested" in what happens to the characters. Ultimately, however, it was just a bit on the dull side.

After watching it, and letting it stew for a while, I'm willing to give it another shot, in fact, I went ahead and ordered the Blu-Ray as it comes with the monochrome version - 'Logan Noir'. The recent 'Mad Max' movie had a "Black and Chrome" edition, which, to my surprise, "upped" the look and feel of the movie, though I guess ultimately it'll be user preference...

19. aikiMac

I was actually thinking the same thing, because the scenes of bad-ass killer feral-beast Wolverine being the bedside nurse for Xavier ... wow. Lifting him in and out of bed, and into the car, and physically putting him on the toilet ... Man, those were some powerful scenes. Really, really beautiful. (sniffle) (sniffle)

Chimpcheng likes this.
  20. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member