Kickboxer: Vengence

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Travess, Jul 15, 2016.

1. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I have been (im)patiently awaiting this trailer, for what feels like forever, and for my money, it certainly did not disappoint...!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJTZzaMUx4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRJTZzaMUx4[/ame]

Travess

2. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

I'm trying to keep open minded about it, but it just doesn't sit right with me personally.

3. Travess

As the original still holds its place amongst its genre and is not quite ready to be shelved yet, I seriously doubt that it will be replaced now, at least not in the hearts and minds of the fans - For me at least, it'll just be an (ever so slightly) fresher alternative reimagining of a familiar story, rather than an all out reboot. (If that makes sense?)

But that could just be naive optimism...

Travess

4. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

How can you have a Kickboxer movie without Master Xian...Loved the original. It had some of the best lines in a MA movie. Still laugh over the bar scene.

Would of preferred a remake to this.

Some films should be allowed to age gracefully. Almost like a films mid life crisis..

5. Travess

I know the original script called for Master Xian's character to remain, but when Tony Jaa had to back out, due to scheduling issues, they opted to rewrite the entire part, instead of just recasting! (???)

I don't get the impression that any of the humour/tongue in cheek nature of the original had made the transition though.

Travess

6. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

That kills it for me TBH. Its like a Batman film minus Alfred. Wrong...So very Wrong.

The original had some really funny bits (some unintentional) which really made the film for me.. I actually wore out my VHS copy when I was a teenager so maybe I am looking at this from a nostalgic point of view.

7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

So you're all complaining because this one doesn't have cheesy bits that aren't meant to be cheesy in it?

8. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Not gonna lie - I wanna watch it!

9. Travess

The cheesiness in the original was, for the most part at least, completely unintentional, yet it actually seemed to work - I am just hoping that the (apparent) darker tone of this offering, compliments the finished film in much the same way.

I think if most (though granted, not all) fans of the original are honest with themselves, they'd be keen to see what 'Vengence' turns out like too, even if only confirm their own expectations, whatever they may be...

...Me, I am keeping an open mind, even if I am rooting (hoping) for it to be great!

Travess

10. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I'm a big fan of the original (I love me a bit of JCVD) but, sadly, for me, this looks incredibly generic. Granted it's just a trailer, but in a world where 'The Raid' exists there's no excuse for something that looks "by the numbers" and pedestrian. However, I do realise that they are very different types of MA movies.

That said I'll be interested to see how it turns out, after all I wasn't that keen on hearing about the remake of 'The Karate Kid' (another 80's fave) but it wasn't all that bad...

11. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think some of you are remembering Kickboxer a bit too fondly. It invented crappy generic martial arts. I guarantee the first time you watched it it wasn't cheesy.

12. Hannibal

No it was ALWAYS cheesy...it was just a better example of it: a cheddar as opposed to a cheese single

It was nowhere near inventing crappy generic martial arts - in fact it really upped the ante when compared to some of it's contemporary cinematic counterparts...and I know because I watched EVERY type of MA film back then

If you want cheesey you need Loren Avendon or this MAGNIFICENT example

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxkr4wS7XqY[/ame]

13. Travess

Maybe as perceived within your lifetime Chadderz, but as Hannibal has already highlighted, for some of us more, well aged folks, we have lived with a lot worse for a lot longer...

...More is the shame on some occasions, especially where films like the above are concerned.

Travess

14. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

I think the Shaw Brothers might have done that.

Has there ever been an MA movie that wasn't cheesy?

Edit: I remember my friends and I laughing at the "my legs...my legs" wheelchair scene when we first saw Kickboxer. Pure comedy.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  15. Chimpcheng

Chimpcheng Yup... Giant cow head... Supporter

I've no doubt that this is true. I haven't been back to it since the 90's, but the first time I saw it I remember being stunned. I was a kid and watching martial arts flicks for the first time. Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Sammo Hung, JCVD, Chuck Norris. I lapped them all up.

I've revisited many of those films since and, sadly, not all of them stand up today...

16. Hannibal

"Cyborg" is still a very guilty pleasure of mine :)

So is "Revenge of the Ninja"

17. Hannibal

I revisited "Dragons Forever" and still really enjoyed it - most of Jackies films have actually survived the temporal journey :)

18. Travess

A pretty good way of looking at it, and an analogy I'd say would aptly describe 80's ubèr cheese-fest "The Last Dragon" - Which I still love!

Travess

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'd say Kickboxer holds up as well as Commando tbh.

20. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

This^.

I'm going to enjoy it as a cheesy but fun MA action film, not as a remake. I loved the Kickboxer films, as cheesy as they were, but am not upset by this remake.