Excellent article on combinig strength and conditioning

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by icefield, Apr 22, 2017.

1. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Very good article from 8 weeks out

2. liero

liero Valued Member

Just looking at this.

"Low level of conditioning: For low levels of conditioning, 3 days per week of 20-30 minutes should suffice to prevent it from getting any lower. If you’re starting with very low conditioning, however, you’re likely better off improving it up to at least a moderate level before focusing on strength and power.
    An easy approach is to start with these guidelines and then adjust as necessary. If you notice yourself losing conditioning, for example, then increase the volume by 5-10% and monitor to make sure it’s enough to maintain. If you’re unsure of how to monitor your conditioning, here’s an article to help you out."

http://www.8weeksout.com/2017/04/26...oning-program-for-general-population-clients/

Is this the article referenced?

I'm wondering how long you might focus on general conditioning with a previously fit individual, who was relatively de-trained. And what that training would look like.

3. icefield

icefield Valued Member

I think it all depends on how detrained they are and what other training they are doing. Is it subjective, ie they haven't trained for a while and gas easily in sparring, or something quantifiable and measurable ie there resting heart rate has gone up 8 beats, there mile time up by 30 seconds etc. It's easier to make recommendations when there's fixed data points.

But I would say conditioning comes back quicker once a base has been built, I'd go with 4 weeks of base building, road work gpp circuits for time bike work three days a week with maybe one interval or harder theshold type session, starting 30mins for the easier sessions and work up in time, then after 4 weeks retest hr and hr recovery and if it's improved by 5 beats or more move onto harder sessions. Ie add another interval or threshold day, reduce the number of easy days